Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Widest tyre on an Isla Beinn24?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

jr_bandito #1 has just been upgraded to a Beinn24. He agrees that big wheels roll faster and loves it. It was a second hand “bargain” (its a relative term with Islas) and the Small Block 8s are a bit worn. We want to fit something as fat as possible, but are we limited to the 1.75″ Conti Explorers?
    Schwalbe do a good range in 24″, but they’re all 2.1″ wide which looks like it may be a tad tight on the frame. Any experience? Any decent 24×1.9″ or 24×2.0″ tyres around?

In an ideal world, they’d be folding bead and tubeless compatible too.

AlexSimon

I’m just about to try a Maxxis Snyper on the front – It should arrive today or tomorrow. I’ll let you know.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Snyper does look good. What are you using on the rear?

Schwalbe Black Jack comes in 1.9″ and is only 560g for the wired version.
    Cheap too by the looks of it.
    Wish they did the Smart Sam in less than 2.1″ (for naming reasons)

Edit: Just discovered the SB8 Pro comes in 1.95″ and only weighs 425g
    We have a winner!

AlexSimon

Still the standard Conti that islabikes sell. Just thought he could do with a bit more cush and grip on the front.
    We’ll see. I bought it from http://bike24.com/ along with some new Time pedals for myself to mitigate the postage.

BillOddie

My two lads have Schwalbe Black Jacks on their bikes Beinn 20s. Seeem to do alright on them.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Is there much clearance on the 1.75″ Conti? Do you think a 1.95″ will be ok?

Evans have the Small Block 8s for £18, so getting them, with tubeless valves 🙂

AlexSimon

I’ll check later – the Snyper just arrived.

TomB

For an off road tyre, we got rocket rons in 2.1″ flavour, folding, from bike discount.de. Light, very impressed, plenty of room and makes the bike look like a proper mtb.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

we got rocket rons in 2.1″ flavour

They fit in the Isla frame ok?

TomB

Fine, probably 5mm clearance each side at both chain and seat stays, more in the fork.

AlexSimon

Snyper isn’t quite as voluminous as I’d hoped, but still a nice tyre.
    Having trouble getting the photos off my phone to somewhere useful (flickr/yahoo locked me out)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Picking up the 1.95 Small Block 8s today, hopefully fitted tonight. Watch this space.

AlexSimon

Here are my photos of the Continental Explorer 1.75 and Synper 2.00

Snyper in forks (yes the brake cable is a disgrace):

Conti in chainstays

Conti in seatstays

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Snyper looks good. Will see if he needs a more aggressive tyre for the back end of the year. At least the SB8s will roll well on dry trails and tarmac.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Turns out that Evans didn’t have the Small Block Eight Pros, just the conventional, heavier, wired version. So I cancelled the order, and have ordered a pair of folding 2.1″ Rocket Rons from Bike24. Watch this space…

AlexSimon

My son’s now saying he wants a wider tyre on the back, so I’ll keep an eye on yours.

matts
    Free Member

I notice that there is a Bontrager XR1 in 24 x 1.85 – Could be a good match for the Beinn.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Got the Rocket Rons. They weighed in at about 410g, exactly the same as the 1.5″ wired Small Black 8s I took off.
    Tried to set the rim up tubeless, but it didn’t look like it was having any of it so gave up after the first attempt (need to buy spare 24″ tubes then)
    Tyre on, rear is too wide to get through brake pads when inflated, but looks like it should have plenty of clearance

Loads of clearance on the fork. Could even go wider, but I’d want a wider rim.

Also fitted a fork-crown fender and a QR seatclamp. He’s loving the bike 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Widest tyre on an Isla Beinn24?’ is closed to new replies.