Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Widest rear tyre on a Rock Lobster 853?
  • RustySpanner

2.1 Ignitors, High Rollers and Cinders fit with plenty of room to spare, but I fancy something with a bit more cushioning.

Partner has the alloy version of the same bike, which will take a 2.2 Purgatory or a 2.35 High Roller out back, but not enough room on my 853 frame.

I could go for a taller tyre as there is plenty of clearance at the seat stays and bridge, it's just the chain stays that are tight.

Any ideas?
    Anyone else using a wider rear on one of these frames?

Thanks in advance…

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I only use 2.1's sorry!

smiffy

It's not really that sort of bike, is it?

Talkemada
    Free Member

I've currently got 2.3" Schwalbe Big Apples on mine, and there's a little bit of room left, although they are slicks.

It's not really that sort of bike, is it?

It's a lightweight XC frame, rather than a burlier long-fork style frame like a 456 or something, this is true.

RustySpanner

[/quote]It's not really that sort of bike, is it?

I know smiffy, but it's the only MTB I've got at the mo!

Just curious really. Love the bike as it is, used 2.1's on both ends for yonks but tried a bigger tyre on the front last year and was very impressed by the increased grip and the ability to run lower pressures without pinching.

I'd bought the 2.2 Purgatory to try out on mine, but fitted it to the rear of Ms Spanner's bike on the recommendation of the lovely people at the Dales bike centre. Seems to really make a difference – lots comfier and seems to give more grip, 'specially at the end of a long day when knackered and line choices aren't always what they could be.

Ta for the advice folks, will keep looking.

smiffy

My 853 sees me right for all my local stuff (I live between the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons)with a XCPro 2.1 at the back, what are you hoping to ride over?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I use Conti Vertical 2.3's on mine.
    Cheers
    Steve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Widest rear tyre on a Rock Lobster 853?’ is closed to new replies.