Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wider road tyres on wider rims?
  • butterbean
    Free Member

I have a mongrel of a Specialized Crux that triples up on duties & i’ve busted a wheel by being stupid & running over it with a car 🙄

I have a set of 29″ Mavic XC wheels hanging up spare which have a 22mm ID. I had a (probably bad) idea that I could just chuck that on.

I know at the moment it’s on trend to go wider for road too, but is 22mm too wide? What sort of tyre is going to fit? I’ve got some 28c’s (and possibly a 30 kicking about) – is this going to work or is it a silly idea?

mattbee

I’ve run 28mm tyres on Pacenti SL25 29er rims which have a 20mm internal width and they were fine.

pjtrailbuilder
    Free Member

Running my CX bike on the road with 34mm gravel tyres set up tubeless, running 45fr 50 psi rear and it is soooo nice comfortable and sure footed. And honestly feels as fast as my road bike,even set a few PR’s on it. I am wondering why I ever ride the road bike.

paton
    Free Member
    n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Isn’t the “safe” formula something like 1.2 x inner rim width, so for 22s that would be ~27+ tyres.

For a cheap tyre that rolls well on tarmac (and has decent knobs for moderate off-road), I strongly recommend the 38c Marathon Cross, 16 squids at PX last time I checked.

epicyclo

I’m an exponent of going as wide as possible with rims and tyres. Makes more of the road usable, and potholes and road damage doesn’t come with a penalty if you hit them.

(I’m running 28mm rims and 2.35″ Big Apples 🙂 )

cookeaa

I have some 28mm gatorskins on my commuter, the front rim was recently changed from 13mm to 20mm internal width and the change in ride is noticeable to me, it’s marginal but it seems to pick up less vibration and ride a little smoother on rougher surfaces.

It makes me wonder if a more supple tyre in the same width and/or a larger volume (say 30-32) would improve the ride further…

Definitely something to be said for wider rims as well as tyres on and offroad…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

23mm internal here, (Alex Volar) running 32c’s (older Marathon Slicks, dual-compound)

Feels just about right on our shitty roads 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

Ive got some 35mm running on a 35mm rim atmseem good so far

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wider road tyres on wider rims?’ is closed to new replies.