Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wider rim to replace Mavic819?
  • wwaswas

Thinking of rebuilding a wheelset that has these rims as I’m running wider tyres and they’re looking a bit round due to the narrowish rims.

So, criteria are;

1) wider internal width so I can run a 2.4″ Rubber Queen

2) No heavier than the 819, ideally.

3) Has an ERD of about 535mm so I can reuse the spokes I have.

4) Tubeless compatible with rim tape and a valve.

I know there’s an economic argument for just selling the existing wheelset and buying a new one rather than buying rims+spokes and rebuilding but I quite like building wheels so I’ll probably stick with me doing it.

qtip

Mavic EN821. A couple of mm more internal width, and I believe it’s roughly the same weight as the 819 and the same ERD.

Houns

Yup 821’s

ratherbeintobago

IIRC there’s also an 823

wwaswas

823 seems to weigh half as much again as the 821/819.

is a couple of mm going to make a noticeable difference or should I look at something with 23/25 internal?

wwaswas

These Velocity Blunt 35’s seem to meet the criteria, slightly heavier but with a much wider rim and same ERD as the Mavics.

Anyone tried them?

http://www.justridingalong.com/parts/wheel-parts/rims/blunt-35-rim.html

wwaswas

or these E13 ones? slightly narrower and a bit lighter;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/e-thirteen-trs-mtb-rim-32-hole/rp-prod117977

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I run the 821s with a 2.2 rubberqueen in back and a 2.4 fat Albert up front and find they’re spot on for me, don’t give too fat/square a profile which suits me fine but that said I don’t get the whole currently in vogue huge rims fat tires thing

tmb467
    Free Member

I had 821s with 2.4 chunky monkeys

Gave a good profile to the tyre and didn’t seem to let it burp in corners

They looked ‘murdered out’ too…only a little yellow and silver mavic decal on em

wwaswas

Quick update on these, I went for Velocity Blunt 35’s in the end as they enabled me to reuse spokes.

they’re a fair bit wider than the 819’s but about the same weight. I put some 2.4 Rubber Queeens on and they’ve come up huge…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sure you didnt buy a fatbike rim? Thats HUGE!

limkilde
    Free Member

Where did you buy the rims?

wwaswas

from Just Riding Along – link above. Looked around but they seemed about the best price and had stock.

Pic with the 2.4 Rubber Queen mounted;

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wider rim to replace Mavic819?’ is closed to new replies.