Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • wider bars / shorter stem – do they cancel out?
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

Im currently riding a Mondraker dune medium (not forward geometry) with a 70mm stem and 720mm bars. Its fairly cramped for sat down peddling but its my big bike so Im not overly fussed about this.

People keep telling me wider is better so Im thinking about going 50mm x 750mm for this summers Megavelanche trip.

Is this a good idea – will I notice a difference going DH and will my cockpit become too cramped for sat-down peddling?

I maybe should have had the large frame but I’m only 5’8. Enduro bikes seem to be very short these days…..

chakaping
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I rode the Mega on a medium Dune with 50mm stem and 750mm bar last year. And I’m also 5ft 8in.

They are short bikes, I used to lean right over the front when sprinting.

I wouldn’t have dreamed of using a longer stem and abslutely not a narrower bar.

HTH

ndthornton
    Free Member

Sounds like this setup has been thoroughly tested then – and chakaping is still alive. So I’ll give it a go 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a 50mm stem on my Dune too with 780mm bars. All works fine for me but it’s a large (although I’m also taller)

chakaping
    Free Member

and chakaping is still alive

Forgot to mention I had my arm broken in the race.

Though it wasn’t the bar’s fault.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Forgot to mention I had my arm broken in the race.

Jeeez – which bit? (of the race not your arm)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘wider bars / shorter stem – do they cancel out?’ is closed to new replies.