Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wide Tubeless Tape
  • cultsdave
    Free Member

Ordered a set of Light Bicycle 38mm wide external 32mm internal rims. Widest tape I can find is 29mm which is obviously not wide enough. Any ideas where I can get some wider tape? Or is it a case of making do with the 29mm stuff.
    Cheers

wwaswas

as long as the tape covers the spoke holes you should be ok.

I’m using the wide Stans stuff on my 30mm internal width rims and they’ve been fine – it doesn’t need to run right up to the bead.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I just find that if it doesn’t run right up to the rim edge it catches on the tyre bead when you remove a tyre and lifts up. Hopefully the 29mm tape is wide enough to avoid this. Think this might only be an issue with my current rims WTB i25’s due to the profile though.

brassneck

I just use Gorilla tape (like narrow width duck tape) which is cheap enough to reapply at a tyre change (assuming you only change once/twice a year like I do).
    Not on posh carbon rims though ;-).

wwaswas

you could always do 3 wraps with the outer two offset so they reach the rim and overlap near the middle?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I just bought some of the Bird stuff. VFM as it’s wide and long and supposed to be ideal for carbon rims.

http://shop.birdmtb.com/spares-and-components/tubeless-spares/bird-teal-tubeless-tape.html

Yet to try it, waiting for my wheels to turn up.

Northwind

I reckon (could be wrong) that if the tape doesn’t reach the edge, it’s better to go the other way and make it narrow- on my LBs it doesn’t come out of the rim well so the tyre only really contacts carbon, and when you push it off to change tyres, it doesn’t snag on the tape.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wide Tubeless Tape’ is closed to new replies.