Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Wide Road Rims
  • tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

Looking into buying a pair of 28hole road rims.

It seems that there is a current trend of new wide road rims, ie 23mm width. Such as Velocity A23, H+Son Archetype, Hed C2.

Has anyone tried them and if so are the worth the extra over Open Pros?

Jon

STATO
    Free Member

Ive got A23, not really much more than OP’s (seem to have gotten really expensive over the last few years!).

Seem nice so far, only a few hundred miles so far but on a new bike so cant compare. Ive got the pressure down a good 15-20psi over what i normally run and they seem very comfy but no noticeable drop in speed.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I ran the tub version of the A23’s as a CX wheelset this season, really impressed with them, so much so I’ll get another set for next season so I can have another tread pattern available to me.

They seem a lot cheaper than the Hed versions that are also 23mm.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, gone for a set of A23’s, they worked out at £44 each from USA

STATO
    Free Member

Did the £44 include import tax, RM handling fee etc?

mboy
    Free Member

They’re less than £50 each RRP over here anyway iirc.

Velocity are imported by Brick Lane Bikes I think, or at least they were anyway. Supposed to be very good rims, as good as the HED Ardennes but quite a bit cheaper. And seemingly wider rims do seem to be the way to go, take a look at a Zipp 404 tub rim and you’ll see its flipping wide compared to most road rims.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s the way forward IMHO and I believe the hype (and the opinions of those who get to ride all sorts of wheels but don’t have a vested interest in selling them) more grip, better rolling resistance and the aero profile.
    How much were the he’d rims on their own? (the Ardennes ones)

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

The black were out of stock everywhere in the UK that I could find, and nope got lucky without charges

Jon

mattythemod
    Free Member

Also worth looking at the panceti sl23 rims !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Wide Road Rims’ is closed to new replies.