Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Wide road bar advice please.
  • paul4stones

Can’t really believe I’m asking this but I suppose it’s better than what tyres?

I have some Salsa PRM 3 drops on my ‘road bike’ which are 46cm wide and were put on as part of a bike fit – I really like them. I’ve had my Pact built up with Midges but want to change to more normal drops. Nobody seems to sell those Salsa bars in that size. I wouldn’t mind a little flare but not as much as the Midges.

So what do folks suggest please?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cowbells?
    You can get them in a 46cm.

paul4stones

Yes they look good but again there seems to be a stock shortage.

xyeti
    Free Member

Have you tried Charlie the Bike Monger?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Give Rich/ Shona or Steve a ring at Keep Peddaling..

paul4stones

Out of stock

kcal

Shand do a similar flared drops at 44cm, worth looking at?
    Cow chippers are in at Charlies in 46cm, but £75…

Bigmantrials

Ritchey Evo Max Comp bars, similar to the Salsa’s, 12degree flare on the drops:

Ritchey Comp Evo Max Drop Handlebars – 31.8mm Clamp – Black

paul4stones

I know it seems crazy but 44cm just feel too narrow. Those Ritchey ones look good though – anybody used them at all?

solarider
    Free Member

I have 2 sets of Zipp 80-SL bars for sale in a 46cm ctr-ctr.

About as wide as bars get.

£25 a pair posted. A1 condition.

See here……

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/price-reduced-enve-stem-fulcrum-cx-cset-zipp-sl-80-road-bars

paul4stones

Ok, thanks solarider I might go for those. I’m going to enquire locally first but I’ll be in touch.

commander
    Free Member

I’m fairly certain I’ve some spanky new cowbells in 46 in the garage if they would be any use, give me an hour and I will get back to you

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Check how they measure the ones you have, and how you’ve checked/measured, i’ve been caught out by this before. Some measure C-C some measure outside to outside.

Don’t mix and match!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wharrabout those Shand ones?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

bell laps were the ‘normal’ stem version of Cowbells, if you can live with a non oversized stem

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/salsa-bell-lap-bars-993-p.asp

edit:

I’m talking out of my arse, as they do oversized now, and they don’t have the wide ones in stock there!

Northwind

I had a pair of JK Wide 48cms that I found cheap on ebay, they’re pretty expensive new though. Wasn’t enough to make me like drops, mind, but a big improvement for me over 44s. Nitto do a 48 as well…

I think there’s more options if you’re happy with sweepy out bar or wacky shapes, like they go “well if we’re going to do niche, we might as well do MULTINICHE”. It’s kind of weird that there’s not more choice tbh

paul4stones

I’m talking out of my arse

Yep 😉

The ones I’ve got are like Cowbells but without the flare. They have 76mm reach and 126mm drop so the bell laps are quite a different shape. Mine are 46cm c-c too. I think the Shand ones only go up to 44cm.

I thought this would be easy 🙂

Oh, and thanks commander, I might well be interested in those.

TiRed

I run Ritchey Streem in a 46cm on the fixed road bike. They are too wide for me really, but I quite like the extra leverage when honking. Nice, semi compact, good palm rest on the top of the bars. Not much to dislike really.

commander
    Free Member

Hi, checked and I have indeed got a pair of new 46cm cowbells if they are any good to you, could of ‘stored in a box in the garage’ marks but nothing that wouldn’t be under tape. Think I bought them as spares for my fleet of Fargos but as I’ve gone down to just the one of them now I doubt I’ll be needing these.

christiansen AT live DOt co DOt uk if interested

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Wide road bar advice please.’ is closed to new replies.