Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • wide range torque wrench(s)
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

i’m after a torque wrench (or 2) for everything form fork internals to van mechanics.
    found this one which covers the whole range in one (i need 7.3Nm min to 110Nm max). it say 7-112Nm.
    any chance at either end it’ll not be as accurate?
    is 3/8″ drive a bit puny for 110Nm?

so should i get this one or a small and a big – a 1/4″ poss with hex bits and a 1/2″ for the van?

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have a Teng 3/8 that does 20 to 100Nm, if you can afford both I’d say get the ¼ and 3/8. The Teng ones have a 25-45 gap if you got the ½ over the 3/8 and to be honest I’ve never needed the extra grunt the ½ offers, if I did its only £55

Dont buy cheap shite either.

jemima
    Free Member

If it says it’s good for 112 Nm then it should be good for 112 Nm – although 3/8″ does sound a bit puny to me…

No way I’d put that near my fork internals though…

I’d do as you suggest and get 1/4″ and 1/2″ to cover the range.

I’ll leave aside usual torque wrench accuracy debate especially for low torque fasteners…

squirrelking
    Free Member

As I said though there is a massive gap between the two ½ and ¼ wrenches I compared.

3/8 is fine for the torques given, why wouldn’t it be? Think about it.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

sure, obviously, but still, it’s nice to be on 1/2″ sometimes for peace of mind.
    i do also need 110, not 100.
    saw the teng tho, looks good for the money

jemima, are you implying that something that goes up to 112Nm may not be that sensitive/accurate don at 7Nm?

forgot to add the link:
    http://www.toolstop.co.uk/sealey-stw1011-torque-wrench-micrometer-style-3-8sq-drive-7-112nm-5-83lb.ft-p15780

it is a sealey, = not bad brand no?

jemima
    Free Member

I wasn’t questioning your points – I was responding to OP whilst you posted.
    But I do make my points based upon thinking about it.
    According to Snap On a torque wrench should be selected to operate mostly in the middle of it’s design range as they become less accurate at either end and this is more critical at the low end (as the error may be a constant percentage of the full-torque value so much bigger percentage error when compared to low-torque value). Even when compliant to standard the allowable error may be up to 16% of a low torque and this is in addition to the usual 25-50% error you can get with torque wrench tightening (due to friction etc).
    So the question is on a £700 set of forks do you really want to inadvertently tighten your 7 Nm fastener to perhaps 12 Nm??
    Also, I would personally not feel comfortable using a wrench capable of 110 Nm on the insides of my forks – fundamentally its just big and unwieldy for fiddly wee fasteners which just increases the risk of doing something stupid…

jemima
    Free Member

jemima, are you implying that something that goes up to 112Nm may not be that sensitive/accurate don at 7Nm?

Yes – precisely 🙂

jamiesilo
    Free Member

yep, good, thanks. i’m persuaded.
    i’ll get 2 : )

jemima
    Free Member

Good man. A 1/2″ drive (longer) wrench is also much easier to apply the larger torques. I use a 300 mm long 3/8″ drive and it’s ok around 60-90 Nm but starts to need a fair old grunt above this (maybe I’m puny…)

I would personally avoid the Sealey tools though… but I am a tool snob…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ah I misunderstood, I thought you were saying that it was too weedy to apply the torques it is specified for (and by possible implication you are one of those ‘and a quarter turn for good luck’ types).

My mistake entirely.

By torques given I meant specified, just check the two you want have a decent overlap, as I said the ½ and ¼ might have no overlap at all so you may end up worse off (financially, you can never be worse off for having more tools!)

Sealy aren’t bad per-se but when I was in the same boat I decided my Teng was the best at that price point. Non calibrated as I’m lucky enough to have access to a setting jig.

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i am a tool snob too, so i may just get a bike one for now, and a good 1/2″ one next time i’ve got something to do on the van. it was at least a metre scaffolding pole on the end of the drive last time, so i’ll get a half inch i reckon!

jemima
    Free Member

haha – sounds like you want 3/4″… 😀

jamiesilo
    Free Member

aye, that as well. socket is 3/4 righty nuff.
    but how often would you use a 3/4″ torque wrench?
    unless you repair tractors etc : )

jemima
    Free Member

righty nuff? You must be from my part of the world…

jamiesilo
    Free Member

scottish borders? probably not

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘wide range torque wrench(s)’ is closed to new replies.