Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Wide fit SPD shoes
  • kelron
    Free Member

I’m looking for some SPD shoes, ideally cheap ones as I’m used to flats at the moment, and struggling to find something to fit my feet.

I’ve tried Shimano M065 but they’re way too narrow even 2 sizes up – any bigger and they’ll be too loose at the heel. I don’t normally have to buy wide fit specific shoes but I do find a lot of narrower styles uncomfortable, and most cycling shoes seem to be narrow.

Looked at the Specialized Cadets as they’re super cheap at the moment, but some of the reviews say they’re narrow too.

Cheapest I can find wide fit specific shoes is £65 for the M089s, but I’d prefer to spend less if possible.

threerock44
    Free Member

I have a nightmare getting any shoes to fit my hobbit-wide, high arch feet – but I found the specialized sport were good – albeit I take a size 9 when usually would take a size 8. I don’t think you will find superwide and supercheap in the same shoe unfortunately.

VanHalen

I have wide feet

I’ve a pair of the original vans clip shoes. A pair of sports direct muddy fox cheapos (been great surprisingly given they were 30quid) and specialized 2fo clips.

All seem to fit fine. The specialized ones are particularly comfy

ton

what size are you?

i have a pair of bontrager shoes in wide fit. worn once. size 11
    £40 delivered.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/clothing/cycling-apparel/cycling-shoes/bontrager-ssr-multisport-shoes/p/13685/

alanl
    Free Member

Sid Mega are the best I’ve found.
    Lake MX 175 X are OK, but go one size larger, I take, generally size 44, I’ve got the Megas in a 44, the Lakes in a 45, both very similar fit, the Mega are very slightly wider. Saltdog Cycling sometimes has them in their sale section.

kelron
    Free Member

Sports direct is a good shout, thanks. It makes things easier if I can try them on first.

mjsmke

What kind of wide feet do you have? Wide at the toes or wide all over?

Mine are just wide at the toes and specialized seem to fit well. Other wide fit still go too pointy at the end. I also have to wear long socks folded back over my heals to stop my heals moving about too much.

kelron
    Free Member

Wide at the toes. Wearing a pair of Sports Direct generic XC style shoes now and my toes are going numb while the heels flap around if I walk.

I’ll take a look at Specialized, might have to resign myself to spending more.

olly2097
    Free Member

I’ve got the old am45 shoes. They are wide. I have really wide feet.

pnik

I ended up with shimano winter boots but they were a bit narrow, so I put 2 pairs of socks on did them up tight and played a hot hair dryer over them for a while, really good fit with 1 pair of socks now.

They are the older model gore tex ones but I use them all year round. The hairdryer trick should work with any mainly synthetic shoe, I think less so with leather.

Oh and am45 were a bit wider but I found the sole too flexible for me. they’re size 46 if you want them make me an offer.

mlke
    Free Member

some shimano shoes are available in a “wide” it’s worth having a search. I have two pairs now but they can be a pain to locate

chunkychew
    Free Member

Giro do wide versions of some of their shoes.

Where along your feet did you find the shoes you’ve tried to be too narrow? SPD’s tend to be narrow in the heel to prevent heel lift and improve power transfer.

Some brands, like SIDI’s, tend to be narrower than others.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Try Northwave as well – quite often find them discounted and they have models at a variety of price points. I’ve found them to be one of the few that fit my wide feet – decent volume in the toe box and they last well too.

ichabod
    Free Member

Five ten impact clipless are super wide and roomy and on sale on crc

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Lakes here. I’ve wide feet, well I think so,the normal ones are fine and they do wide fit too.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi Alp-X something or other fit my flappy freak feet fine.

bigpole
    Free Member

Specialized seem great for me…. bontys a also good.
    I’ve got 2fo’s and deefrosters both fantastic

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shimano’s touring shoes seem wider than their XC ones so worth a look. Im a 45E in their road shoes but im fine in a normal 45 off road. Caveat: my off road shoes are 10+ years old, but you could take that as incentive to spend more as good ones last a long time!

kelron
    Free Member

If it helps anyone else, I have eventually ended up with a pair of dhb Dorica.

They seem longer than others I tried so my little toe sits just before it narrows, and there’s no hard plastic stopping the toe box from stretching.

I’m not sure the quality is that great but I’ll see how long they last, at least I can wear them comfortably.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Wide fit SPD shoes’ is closed to new replies.