Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Wide bars on a 26er?
  • Kryton57

Maybe a stupid question but my new bars are 730, the current ones are 690. The new ones look massive but before I cut the new one should I try them at 730?

What’s the real life effect apart from more leverage on a 26er?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Try em. I like wide bars. 730 isn’t massive btw.

maxtorque

Ride em! Much easier to cut down later if you don’t like them, rather than er, uncut up, if you were curious to see how wide bars feel!

Onzadog
    Free Member

750 on two of mine, they’re great.

Kryton57

Yes it’s kind of obvious that i should to that.

Just looked at the Kili flyer in Fresh Goods – that has 740’s on and looks ok.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’re hands will be further apart…..they might get lonely.Rub them together often to lessen the effect.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Try it, but don’t assume it’ll be great. I ran 740s after riding 710s and 690s for years and loved it. The new bike has 785s and they’re unpleasent- there is just too much bar.

maxtorque

Also kinda depends what stem you are running the new wide bars with, no?

Kryton57

The same one – 70mm 6 degree rise.

Superficial
    Free Member

It will feel a fair bit more stretched out with your weight further forwards. This may or may not be what you want / need.

Wider bars feels weird and horrible at first. But I suspect you’ll get used it although it probably depends what kind of riding you do. Try it for 2-3 rides and then cut them down 10mm at a time.

myti
    Free Member

I’ve just gone up to 730’s. I was worried about clipping my bars in the tight singletrack round here but not had a prob so far and really like the extra control it gives.

rewski
    Free Member

You’ll be amazed how 10mm difference feels, I went from 690 to 711 to 750, clipped a fair few trees along the way, but 750 feels spot on now, I might try an even shorter stem too.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’m happy with 750

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Wide bars on a 26er?’ is closed to new replies.