Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Wide bars on 26" wheels
  • slightreturn
    Free Member

How popular and the benefits of using them.
    I had considered a 740mm bar on my full sus
    Thanks

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I ride 780m Renthals on my 2 26″ Hardtails.
    The benefits?
    For me, it’s comfy.

lyrikal
    Free Member

They will be fine as long as they are 26″ specific!

devash
    Free Member

Works well for me.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

800 on my 26 DH bike, but then i’m a lanky sod. I couldn’t run anything shorter than 800mm on any size wheel.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’ve also got Renthals on a 26″ wheeled bike, they have been on about 3 years at least and as yet im not Dead.

Same as above, for me its Comfy, it relieves some of the tension i get in my neck, top of my back.

core

Wheel size has got shit all to do with it, wide bars were popular before 650b arrived. 740mm here on 26″ & 29″ bikes, and could go wider to be honest.

cruzer
    Free Member

Struggling to work out how wheelsize is connected to handlebar width…. Just ride the damn thing!!

iffoverload
    Free Member

I find they go perfectly with my 33t N/W ring

5thElefant
    Free Member

800 on mine. Shoulder width comes into it, can’t see why wheel size is even vaguely important.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’m 5.10/11 and normal build and ride 800mm havoc bars and stem on my trail bike, any less feels weird now

Karl33to
    Free Member

I find 800 a bit too wide for trail duties, got 740’s on my Shan and 800’s on my DH bike and both feel perfect for me.

jamj1974

780mm Renthals on two of my 26″ bikes. Both feel brilliant with that width but I do have broad shoulders and long arms!

toys19
    Free Member

I bet in 18 months time the prevailing myth will be that wide bars do not work on 26″ wheels due to this thread..
    Where did you get the idea that there was an issue with 26ers and wide bars?

deluded
    Free Member

Thomson 780’s on my 26″ Hustler – more control and stability. Clipping trees on tight ST can be a problem, as I found out on Thursdays night ride.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

put 760’s on my 456 and 20mm fell off either end. I gues 720 is the limit. FOr hardtails. Cos I put 740’s on my Grapil and nothing’s dropped off yet. Although the forks have 10mm more travel on the grpil so maybe it’s something to do with that.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

The general rule is add one and a half inches for 27.5 or add three inches for 29

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I run 780mm on my 26er but my saddle is brown and that causes a few issues

chrishc777
    Free Member

I run 760 and 777 on my 26ers, compensates nicely for the lack of rollover and inability to carry speed of my unfashionable wheels

poltheball
    Free Member

810mm on 26″ hardtail over here, if I had a 29er I’d need at least a yardstick.

All that extra wheel and stuff, innit.

singlespeedstu

I’d never go above 735 on a 26er unless the tyres had a coloured stripe on the sidewall.
    I’d never fit them at the end of March either.

Northwind

760 on mine, it’s just the size I am. I don’t get any wider when I change wheel sizes

jimjam
    Free Member

The smaller the wheels, the wider the bars. Doesn’t everyone know this?

andysredmini
    Free Member

What a stupid question.
    It’s questions like this that make me never want to come on this forum again.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I’ve got 740 but it feels as though 760 would suit me best and that sums it up really, what ever feels best to you. Generally wider = slower, narrower = faster, steering that is, both of which can make things worse or better!

I would never stick the bar on/thru/to the wheels thou regardless of size 😆

RustySpanner

jivehoneyjive – Member
    The general rule is add one and a half inches for 27.5 or add three inches for 29

Yeah, but what about his handlbars?

slight return – Member
    How popular and the benefits of using them.

S’all voodoo to me.

qtip

What a stupid question.
    It’s questions like this that make me never want to come on this forum again.

It’s replies like this that make me wish you wouldn’t.

FWIW, I think there is some validity to the question. I imagine the OP was thinking along the lines of smaller wheels being easier to turn, therefore requiring less leverage. I’m not saying this is right, but it’s not a completely idiotic question.

Oh, and I run 785mm bars on my 26″ bikes.

wwaswas

All the singletrack near me was built around 720mm bars, any wider and you either break your little fingers or have to x-up between the trees.

ahwiles
    Free Member

just remember that bars wider than 710 need ‘bedding in’, a 2 hour ride with the forks locked out (or pumped up to 200psi) should do it.

(unless they’re steel of course)

stumpy01

Oh god…..

😐

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Yeah, but what about his handlbars?

Handlebars?

Everyone knows that all good bike coaches suggest no weight through the handlebars, so I took the next logical step and run all my bikes without them.

Makes for some very interesting handling traits, I can tell you.

The stability of 29″ is best for no bars, 26″ can be a bit twitchy

1981miked
    Free Member

Oh dear…

Some people really do overthink things, just ride the bloody bike!

What did people do years ago before all these different wheels sizes, tyre choices and bar widths etc.. Oh wait a minute, they just rode the bike.

I will continue to do this and will not be become a marketing mans dream by buying the latest new fad or hyped up product. I ride 26″ wheels, clipped in, wear the same biking gear I have had for ages (not gore this or endura that), I buy the same tyres I have ran for years because they work for me, no idea how wide my bars are and I manage to work out what I needed for 1×10 all by myself about 5 years ago.. I must be a guru or something! And I’m yet to die on a bike ride.

Oh and I don’t carry a rucksack weighing about 18lbs.. Come to think of it I’m suprised I have survived for so long as I’m vastly under prepaired.. I need to do some research into what I can blow a huge amount of money on and see no real benefit now!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Wide bars on 26" wheels’ is closed to new replies.