Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Wide 26" tyres
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone using 26 by say 3.0 tyres? On a FS?

jedi

used to back in the day.

arrow tyres etc…

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem to be a ‘thing’. Surly make some but they are for 50mm rims.

jedi

then we found narrow tyres were betterer.

akira

Surly dirt wizard is 2.75″

amedias
    Free Member

^ and also needs quite a wide rim to not be excessively floppy

molgrips
    Free Member

then we found narrow tyres were betterer

So 650 x 3.0 is ace, but 26 x 3.0 is rubbish?

gonzy
    Free Member

i used to run a 2.7″ Nokian Gazzalodi on the front of one of my bikes many years ago, the profile of the tyre made it look closer to a 3″. grip was awesome and its could handle anything you threw at it….the only downside of it was the weight…the tyre alone weighed the same as the front wheel with a 2.4″ tyre on.

i can imagine a full on 3″ tyre weighing something similar.

soobalias
    Free Member

who said 650 x 3.0 is ace.

does anyone actually say ace? do they also say lol?

molgrips
    Free Member

i can imagine a full on 3″ tyre weighing something similar.

Surly Knard 26 x 3.0 weighs 850g.

Still don’t understand why 3.0 in 650b is ‘in’ and in 26″ it’s ‘out’ ?

amedias
    Free Member

It will be next year, once everyone has sold or melted down their obsolete 26inch wheels, then the industry can spring 26+ on us and force us all to buy new kit again. Not worth it right now as 650b hasn’t reached full penetration yet 😉

Had similar thoughts to you mol a few years ago but the tyre options for anything other than ‘normal’ and ‘full fat’ just weren’t there (Surly only pretty much, or monster heavy DH casings), by the time people started trying light but big, but not full fat tyres it’d all gone 650B so now they’re putting all the effort into + sizes on 650B so I don’t see much hope for many light but big 26 inch offerings.

~30mm 26 inch rims + (proper) 2.4/2.5inch tyres is still pretty good though 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

“don’t understand why 3.0 in 650b is ‘in’ and in 26″ it’s ‘out’ ?”

Because the 26″ option doesn’t give manufacturers the chance to sell you more stuff to replace the stuff you already have which is perfectly OK.

jonathan
    Free Member

It definitely works n wider rims. Here’s a “26+” with Surly Dirt Wizards (rubbish pic) – I had a go and it rode very nicely

[url=https://flic.kr/p/y1V9sE]Surly[/url] by Jonathan Bateman, on Flickr

You’d need unusual clearance to run those on a full sus though. They fit nicely on that Surly 1×1, but they have massive clearances. Been thinking of trying it on my 1×1 but I’ve got fairly fat rubber already (2.4 Ardents) and it’s a lot of faff/expense for a bit more.

molgrips
    Free Member

the tyre options for anything other than ‘normal’ and ‘full fat’ just weren’t there (Surly only pretty much, or monster heavy DH casings)

That’s what I found with a quick google. Just thought these fantastic levels of grip people talk about would be fun with my FS.

I have 31mm rims I think, currently on some relatively narrow 2.3s. What are you using in 2.5?

Patriot does have pretty good clearance, although I’ve not measured it.

SaxonRider

do they also say lol?

They do now. Ell oh ell.

jonathan
    Free Member

As said Maxxis Ardent in 26 x 2.4 comes up pretty fat for the numbers (wider than other 2.5s I’ve had). It’s definitely a high volume tyre, but with a reasonably aggressive tread. I love them on my rigid singlespeed. I’d run them on my FS if I had the clearance.

Mine are standard EXO walled ones run tubeless, but they do an EXO tubeless ready one now I think. I think they’re all under 800g too.

amedias
    Free Member

I have 31mm rims I think, currently on some relatively narrow 2.3s. What are you using in 2.5?

I’ve actually settled on 2.4 Advantages with EXO casing, as they come up big for a 2.4 on decent rims, weight about 800g and are a good combo of quick enough, and grippy enough in anything except proper slop.

Previously meddled with 2.5 Conti Diesels, 2.4 RQs, some big Bonty FR4 things (which are no longer made?), and some massive 2.7 inch rubber from Intense (insane grip but too heavy). I think I’ve got a big Spesh tyre somewhere too that was OK, Purg/Butcher maybe?

Did toy with the idea of getting some nice folding Dirt Wizards as liked them when I tried them on a friends bike, but the cost put me off, certainly would be nice if there were more options but tbh the decent 2.4 options are good enough in my eyes.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I recently built up some 48mm Onza trials rims to use on either my Surly 1×1 or my old Dean. A Conti X-King 2.4 measures 63mm inflated on those wheels and can be run at 15psi front and 18psi rear (for me at a little under 11 stone).
    I previously used the Conti on a Mavic 717 but needed 30psi to keep it stable.

gonzy
    Free Member

these are good tyres. the 2.4″ carcass looks bigger and rolls well giving very good grip
    i’ve got the folding version and they’re pretty light but not sure if the one in the link are steel bead or folding…so long as you dont mind the red
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3595&p=34865&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Mountain%20Bike%20Tyres&gclid=CN_A9-Df-8gCFQIYwwodVGMDdQ

zero-cool
    Free Member

You can get 2.7 Kenda Nevagal in 26. My old 2.5s rode well.
    A lot of the Rampage riders were running 26 wheels with 2.7 tyres.

Tom KP

Andy-R

soobalias – Member

does anyone actually say ace? do they also say lol?

I’ve been known to say “ace”. I never say, or use, lol.

Euro
    Free Member

Still don’t understand why 3.0 in 650b is ‘in’ and in 26″ it’s ‘out’ ?

Just because someone didn’t like them doesn’t mean you wont. This ain’t the hokey cokey. I’d say use whatever tyres you want.

tomhoward

I say ace a lot.

Isn’t the reason we all think wide 26″ tyres are ‘orrible because we all remember the silly hucking ones from yesterdecade? Kujos, Gazzaloddis and the like all weighed as much as a house, square profiled on narrow rims with more rolling resistance than your average road grader. But now we’ve actually got them to be a little more sensible, they wouldn’t be so bad. It’s just the rim size du jour for new kit is now 27.5?

molgrips
    Free Member

Good point Tom.

JoeG
    Free Member

Surly tried with their Instigator hardtail…

http://surlybikes.com/bikes/instigator_2point0/bike_info

cruzcampo
    Free Member

26″ Bontrager XR4 2.35″, lovely handling, rolling, all weather, all terrain tyres. Keep trying others but always go back, tubeless too 🙂

Reckon they look more akin to 2.5″

rOcKeTdOg

Floaters are 4″

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Got a 2.4 mountain king for sale cheap if your interested

chiefgrooveguru

Reckon they look more akin to 2.5″

Have you considered a career as a bike journalist? Bet they actually measure 2.35″ or a bit less…

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@CGG Must be the other tyres in this size have been overly narrow then 😉

Many review sites, forums etc all say the XR4s are wider than the norm.

sparkyrhino

^^ have an old wire bead 2.35 xr4 on a 19mm mavic rim,on the front of my h/t,it’s a monster even goes up tubeless

Northwind

cruzcampo – Member

@CGG Must be the other tyres in this size have been overly narrow then

I remember finding it freakish that my 2.5 Nevegal measured 2.5. And all that chat about the 2.4 rubber queen being so massive (actually, 2.4) You just get used to being lied to.

epicyclo

jonathan – Member
    It definitely works n wider rims. Here’s a “26+” with Surly Dirt Wizards (rubbish pic) – I had a go and it rode very nicely…

It is the biggest improvement you can make to a 26″ bike.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yup, first thing I thought of were Gazzas, the hucksters weapon of choice. Did wonder when someone said Maxxis were oversize as they’ve always been notoriously slim in my experience.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Schwalbe Big Apples but they’d be shite off road…..

epicyclo

Suggsey – Member
    Schwalbe Big Apples but they’d be shite off road…..

They’re not.

[/url]

I’ve done most of my offroad mileage on Big Apples since the end of winter. It’s just a matter of remembering what you’re on, but they’re surprisingly good.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Fair play…I was just assuming to be honest, I used them on a rigid commuter for a while with a few hard surface short cuts….

anotherstan
    Free Member

JoeG – Member

Surly tried with their Instigator hardtail…

…and what a fine job they did too 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

That looks good.

Better get myself some wide rims eh 🙂 is that a normal fork on that Instigator?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Very nice anotherstan +1

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Wide 26" tyres’ is closed to new replies.