Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Wide 26" Tyres
  • kang
    Free Member

Hi All,
    I have a Surly 1×1 that I would like to turn in to a slightly fat bike so I was wandering who makes the widest 26″ tyre that I can fit on standard rims? 1×1 frames have “fatties fit fine” written on them and I have a ridged fork so I think there is a bit of space. I can’t find a tyre wider than 2.5″ and as the tyres I already have on there are 2.3″ I’m not sure it’s worth changing them.

Any thoughts?

somafunk

How wide is your rim (internal) as that will generally dictate max tyre width.

helpful1
    Free Member

3″ tyres fit just fine on 17mm rims.
    creates a horrible profile for cornering and feel even horribler the lower pressure you run though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mattyfez

Rim width does matter, I want from a standard 26er rim (sorry don’t know the internal width), to a 27mm internal width, corners on 2.1 tyres loads better, although they are a sod to fit!

psycorp
    Free Member

I was looking into this recently. Surly do some, a 2.7″ called the Dirt Wizard and a 3.0″ called the Knard.

They state a miniumum 35mm rim and designed for a 50mm rim on both tyres. I can’t work out if that’s internal or external widths.

epicyclo

I’m using 2.8″ Surly Dirt Wizards on 40mm rims on my 1×1, as are a few other 1×1 owners.

(Surly 3″ Knards will fit too, but I prefer the bigger lugs on the DWs for local conditions.)

My opinion is that the DWs transform the 1×1 for the better, and I’m not alone in that.

Here’s a pic of Jamie on his at SSUK

kang
    Free Member

Just measured my rims and they are 23 mm internal. I’ve got 75mm to play with on the forks.

mudfish

Not massive but the 2.4 Conti Rubber Queen is pretty large (now called Trail King) I tried it on a 27mm internal Stans “Freeride” rim. If you fancy one I have an almost new 26, been tempted by 650!
    Dont reply here please email me on flatpedalthunder(at)gmail(dot)com.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Wide 26" Tyres’ is closed to new replies.