Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • 'Wicking' cycle clothing – load of tosh?
  • cinnamon_girl

Pretty sticky ride for Aleigh and I today so lunchtime discussions concerned so-called 'wicking' cycle clothing.

My (Sombrio) top was saturated and I commented that my 'outdoor' tops, ie Lowe Alpine, Helly Hansen, North Face etc., did a much better job of 'wicking'. In other words, the fabric did not seem to hold so much moisture cos us girlies glow, not sweat!

Would be interested to hear other people's experiences.

RealMan
    Free Member

Anything can be called wicking, but if it actually is, it works well.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I often wear my outdoors kit anyway, can't really afford to have two sets of specific clothing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sombrio looks good, but am not sure. Was looking at some in my LBS at the weekend. Not all that taken with it!

Try some merino. Nothing's worked better for me as a hot chap!

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replies. So, RealMan, have you found any 'wicking' cycle-specific clothing that works?

B.A.Nana – well, cycle clothing does seem to carry a hefty price tag these days so I think you are being very sensible.

RealMan
    Free Member

I use specialized base layers. They're very good. I've also got a variety of tops, all different, all work well. All lycra.

highclimber
    Free Member

Good quality merino all the way, slightly warmer than the synthetics but a lot more comfortable to wear overall!

bassspine
    Free Member

There are materials that work best for hot weather and materials for cold weather; of the warm weather wickiewickiewickies, coolmax works brilliantly in this weather.

I found two coolmax shirts recently in Lidl for 7.99 each. good value.
    YWMMV (your wicking material may vary)

Bunnyhop

Mmm interesting.

An oldish Endura top was really bad on Thursday and I felt uncomfortable all ride. However a cheapish Nike top bought a few years ago seemed to do a better job of keeping me cool and fresher yesterday.

I don't glow, the sweat runs off me and I look like a freshly plucked tomato.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I don't glow, the sweat runs off me and I look like a feshly plucked tomato.

I am so hot for you right now…

😉

_tom_
    Free Member

My £10 decathlon "B-twin" top does a pretty good job at drying especially around neck/chest and arms. A lot better than normal cotton or whatever t-shirts I was using before. Only problem is the lower back is still horrible due to wearing a pack.

trail_rat
    Free Member

merino pisses on anything synthetic imho …. just get some so it fits – should be snug not baggy !

valleydaddy
    Free Member

got some Nike compression vests off the daily deals on ebay a couple of weeks back and they seem excellent at keeping me cooler in this warm weather, and I heat up hotter than a blast furnace 😳

njee20
    Free Member

Our Endura team kit seems to wick well, after a long ride I find my top is usually covered in salt marks, but is totally dry to the touch.

cinnamon_girl

Cap'n – I love my Sombrio clothing, so stylish and decent quality. 8)

But this talk of merino? I wear an Ice Breaker merino top in the depths of winter and it's brilliant. Is there a lighter weight merino for summer or something?

I personally find that my above mentioned outdoor tops, with a high collar and zip, seem to work so much better than my cycle-specific ones. Can't bear the roadie-jersey thing.

Lol at Bunnyhop. 😆

Bunnyhop

Capt. pass me your cucumber that'll cool me down.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

C_G, I know a shop in a nice part of Wiltshire which sells Sombrio…great place! They also sell Endura merino and yes, there is a lighter weight option for summer!

Bunnyhop, if that's what you call it…..! The cucumber went in the Pimms last night! Sorry. Perhaps I could rustle up something else….

cinnamon_girl

Bunnyhop – you been drinking girl? 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Can't bear the roadie-jersey thing.

Shame, this is my favourite top. Its awesome. Use it for mtbing, road, and bmx.

clubber
    Free Member

Merino just gets sopping wet ime but then I sweat a lot so even wicking fabrics can't fully cope. I only use merino in the winter as a base layer or for commuting when the lack of pong is a real bonus.

How dry something will stay is largely dependent on temperature, humidity, how fast you ride (airflow) and ultimately how much you sweat/glow. No amount of marketing will prevent things getting soaked if you sweat a lot. That said, some jerseys are much thinner than others so simply hold less 'glow' 😉

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Get yourself some Icebreaker merino (150, or less in extreme heat…not sure if they do less than 150wt tbh) brills stuff. I've binned all my Lifa, merino all the way now. Sooo nice on ur skin 🙂 🙂

+1 for tight/snugg mind.

petefromearth

+1 for merino

expensive but worth it – get something good quality. i've mainly got icebreaker stuff. got a couple of howies tops as well, although i find their stuff is a bit of a funny shape for me

Bunnyhop

Don't drink c_g.
    Just chilling after running around after a hot and grumpy 7 year old all day. It's just nice to have adult chat 🙂

Lol @ CFH.

LoveTubs
    Free Member

In my other life I'm a roadie…and I too hate the 'Roadie' look. That Spec'd jersey is pants if you ask me?

I can accept Assos gear, but that's about it.

Yet, who am I?

Bunnyhop

c_g and Aleigh if you're brave enough, just wear a gym type sports bra top.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It's just nice to have adult chat

, just wear a gym type sports bra top.

You just know someone is going to ask for pictures now, don;t you?
    😉

singlespeedstu

Do Sombrio claim to be manufacturers of technical wicking garments?

I think they're more about the fatboy/girl on a chairlift than sweating your ass off on an all day ride.

trail_rat
    Free Member

love it stu – its so true though fashion over function with them every time when i look at them … i do like their style sometimes but wholely impractical for any kind of XC riding other than mincing on kitty litter

singlespeedstu

its so true though fashion over function with them every time when i look at them .

Though their shorts do seem to stand up to the constant bashing they get from riding our local grinding paste/wet sandy trails in the winter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

so do my endura lycra bad boys … with the added bonus of making me look slim 😉

cinnamon_girl

Bunnyhop – to be honest I'm surprised somebody didn't report me for wearing a sleeveless top today! My arms are covered with bramble scratches and legs are covered with gorse scratches – I resemble a serious self-harmer. 😯

As for wearing a gym top – no way!

stu/trail rat – yep, fatgirl on a hardtail sweating her ass off on an all day ride. Mince to the rad indeed. 🙄

singlespeedstu

with the added bonus of making me look slim

Bet they'd struggle on that front with me. 😆

fatgirl on a hardtail sweating her ass off on an all day ride

Maybe you might be better off not wearing freeridepyjamas and try some technical garments then. 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

This lady has the right idea, plenty of wicking!

juan
    Free Member

Merino is no where as good as man made stuff for wicking.
    My merino top seems just to hold sweat, buckets load of it, whereas my man made top seems to be barely damp and get dry by the time I eat a sandwich. Obvioulsy I buy them from patagonia, fox and helly hansen. Nothgin seems to beat them in term of wicking. As for the sweat I am not too smelly, but even if I did I could not care. I am biking because I like it, not because I want to look like a poseur…

trail_rat
    Free Member

fliping heckler – where did you find that photo of stu ?

trail_rat
    Free Member

and there you have it folks – this concludes another singletrackworld thread that has gone full circle and no one is really any better off … other than that if we buy from a brand name it will be good …

singlespeedstu

I sent it to him.
    Want me to send it to you too? 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Google..is there a likeness?

bloodynora
    Free Member

Embersmerino of Belper, top stuff….. That Specialized roadie thing is hideous

trail_rat
    Free Member

it ok stu – your stem is too high rise for me ….

flipingheckler – its uncanny ! same bra size and everything 😉

glad im out the country for a while or id probably get a thump at selkirk merida 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘'Wicking' cycle clothing – load of tosh?’ is closed to new replies.