Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Wi-Fi Radiation
  • AlexSimon

I’m not one for confrontation or campaigning or telling others what to do, so I’ve tried to think of a sensible way to help this situation…

Unnecessary radiation = bad (let’s leave it at that for now)

Most routers, including the most common router in the UK (the BT HomeHub), make it very difficult to toggle Wi-Fi on and off when you don’t need it.

The result is that I have about 8 Wi-Fi signals visible on my iPhone while sat in my village home during the day and most of the neighbours are out of the house. At night there are still 6 signals visible.

Even our Wi-Fi gets left on accidentally sometimes, because it’s actually pretty difficult to toggle it on/off without firing up the PC and hitting about 20 keys. (BT HomeHub 3).

I’d like to propose something to Router manufacturers.
    1) That a physical Wi-Fi on/off switch is provided on all routers
    2) That a timer is provided in the router web-interface so that you can easily set it to switch off Wi-Fi automatically at night.

Sensible?
    How would I go about getting support for this idea?

sc-xc

I doubt BT would go for that – isn’t it a selling point of theirs that you can give up a bit of your wi-fi and access hot spots throughout the country?

pudd
    Free Member

Is that why my nipples are always hard?

scuzz
    Free Member

Better turn the lights off

rusty90
    Free Member

So if you turn off the wi-fi, that will just leave the ‘radiation’ coming from all the mobile phone networks and TV and radio stations. A drop in the ocean by comparison ?

honourablegeorge

Most routers have 2 already, mine certainly does.

Dunno why you’d be arsed about radio signals though, unless you’re desperate for something to panic about.

njee20
    Free Member

kayak23

Even our Wi-Fi gets left on accidentally sometimes, because it’s actually pretty difficult to toggle it on/off

IA

Better turn the lights off

And hide from the sun.

Though the OP’s tinfoil hat will help.

Current gen O2 routers have a button on the top that’s the wifi indictor, press it for 5 seconds and the wifi will turn off.

camster
    Free Member

Remember it’s ‘non ionising’ radiation i.e. at very low levels that are generally not harmful. All mobile phone sites, handsets and I think WIFI routers are designed to comply with the very strict international ICNIRP standards therefore I’d suggest there’s no need to worry and there’s no need for kit manufacturers to adjust the kit.

nealglover
    Free Member

…..unless you’re desperate for something to panic about.

And there’s the answer.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So if you turn off the wi-fi, that will just leave the ‘radiation’ coming from all the mobile phone networks and TV and radio stations. A drop in the ocean by comparison ?

That and the sun, the granite, the lights and everything else.

Like the world was created by a man with a big white beard and everything is fine. Stop trying to turn off the router and use the wifi to read some science

Sorry if that sounds rude but….
    Actually it was meant to

richmtb

I’ll take a wild guess and say you don’t have a science degree

There is far more energetic radiation streaming out of every lightbulb in your house and out of the big yellow thing in the sky (when it makes an appearance) So much radiation infact that prolonged exposure can lead to burns.

Scary stuff maybe we should worhip the yellow sky god 😉

dan1980
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member

Sensible?

Not really.

No.

pudd
    Free Member

Sometimes its my Willy too. I also wear a tin foil hat; my mum made it with a strap so it don’t keep falling off!

Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh2sWSVRrmo[/video]

Del

on my iPhone

if you want to worry about something i’ll just point out that the portable transmitter in your hand is probably of more danger to you than the router on the other side of the room/house/tinfoil hat.
    HTH
    😀

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

They used to say cigarettes were good for you.

davidjey
    Free Member

lol, like that was ever going to happen.

How would I go about getting support for this idea?

Try another forum?

vorlich
    Free Member

GrahamS

It gets a lot less scary if you just say “Unnecessary radio“, since that is what it is.

Do you ever watch TV, listen to the radio or use a mobile? How do you think those signals got there? You’re surrounded by radio signals all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum

pudd
    Free Member

Of all the inane pointless nonsense to stress about!?!

Even if the OP is 100% correct it cant be stopped or changed just like as mentioned mobile phone radiation, microwave radiation, skinny bike saddles making you seedless etc
    fact is stressing about this is far more damaging to your body than all the polution silliness. Unless radiation has rendered your adrenal gland inoperative. Silly OP!

pudd
    Free Member

Vorlich, why are you posting pictures of yuh mum? what’s that got to do with radiation?

scuzz
    Free Member

It gets a lot less scary if you just say “Unnecessary radio”, since that is what it is.

Careful, now…

kcr
    Free Member

http://xkcd.com/radiation/

Interesting how the relative dosages stack up.
    N.B. as pointed out in the post above, and in the diagram, non-ionising radiation does not pose a cancer risk

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

here you go, once you know what piffling amount of Rad it’s gobbing out, then you can work out how far away to stand whilst being indignant.

Occupational 5R/yr = 5,000mR/yr

Non-Occupational .1R/yr = 100mR/yr

+ 100mR/yr (background)*
    ————–

= 200mR/yr total

*estimated annual exposure to background radiation

Plenty of room for extra radiation for you non-rad workers, so you could afford to use your router as a testicle tray should the urge take you.

pingu66
    Free Member

Wi-Fi is very very low radiation – transmit powers compared to other sources.

GSM, local radio and TV al transmit powers 100s – 1000s of times higher. Thats why you don’t see a TV mast at the end of every street. IF there is an issue it would be from GSM first but there is a lot of natural radiation as well.

Kayak I’d have to change those screws in your sockets, should be slotted and at vertical or horizontal!

phiiiiil

If it makes you happy, our wieless router is on a timer switch so the whole thing is off when we’re at work or overnight. It is this way because (a) I had a spare timer lying around and (b) it will probably save me about tuppence a year. Every little helps, right?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Plenty of room for extra radiation for you non-rad workers, so you could afford to use your router as a testicle tray should the urge take you.

I did whenever I missed that warming feeling I used to get at work

jim
    Free Member

That and the sun, the granite, the lights and everything else.

And the big bang. Good luck avoiding that 🙂

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

I did whenever I missed that warming feeling I used to get at work

😀

metal_leg
    Free Member

Powerlines. You need to google powerlines.

2G/3G/Wifi radio is fine. Worked in labs with this stuff blasting out for years. Never caused a problem.

We did think it strange that everyone at work had female children but science says 45/50 kids is not a valid sample size.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ll take a wild guess and say you don’t have a science degree

There is far more energetic radiation streaming out of every lightbulb in your house and out of the big yellow thing in the sky (when it makes an appearance) So much radiation infact that prolonged exposure can lead to burns.

Scary stuff maybe we should worhip the yellow sky god

Like D’uh – that’s why we turn the sun off at night. I could send you an internet link to prove this, but it is very hard typing with an anti-radiation suit on.

AlexSimon

lol – ah well 🙂
    I’ve just climbed out of my lead-lined bunker to read the responses.

I guess I was expecting that reducing unnecessary radiation couldn’t possible be seen as a bad thing.

BTW – This came about because I’m designing a web-interface for a router at the moment. We’re trying to make it as user-friendly as possible as it’s a mass-market device. Putting a wi-fi on/off button on the front page (before entering admin password) has already been suggested by client. I thought it was a good idea.

Back into my bunker to eat my dinner, if I can fit it through the mouthpiece of my custom Troy Lee tin-foil helmet.

GrahamS

you could afford to use your router as a testicle tray should the urge take you.

allthegear
    Free Member

Putting WiFi on/off before the admin screen sounds wrong – someone could turn it on if it is meant to be off…

Rachel

GrahamS

Putting a wi-fi on/off button on the front page (before entering admin password) has already been suggested by client. I thought it was a good idea.

Wait.. so anyone on your network can randomly switch off/on the wifi??
    Regardless of the science, that is a crap idea!

Most routers let you turn off wifi. Can be handy if you need to lock down the network completely and just use it as a modem/switch.

But “radiation” is not a scientifically sound reason (though it would probably sell to the gullible quite well).

ahsanbd98
    Free Member

any radiation that is high rated is dangerous not only wifi radiation but also any networking radiation, so how much radiation pass through one our uses with router ?

scuzz
    Free Member

Erm…

nealglover
    Free Member

…. so how much radiation pass through one our uses with router ?

Erm …….. 6 ?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Wi-Fi Radiation’ is closed to new replies.