Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Whyte v Speccy
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

I’m in a bit of a new bike dilemma. Ideally I’d be testing both bikes but the Whyte demo’s are not going to be available for a while, and if I wan’t to go with the Specialized I’d be silly not to take advantage of some of the great end of year deals currently available, as it will save me £1000+!

I’m between the Stumpy Evo Carbon or the new Whyte T-129 Works SCR. I’ve ridden the Speccy and loved it, if I was being fussy I’d have had a slightly tighter back end, longer TT and slacker HA. On paper the Whyte gets me a significantly tighter back end (maybe too much?) and (on the 2015 model), the longer TT. One is carbon and one is alloy, but that doesn’t bother me either way, the Whyte is 20mm shorter travel. Otherwise the spec between the two is comparable, both are Horst link so I’m assuming little in the suspension traits to pull them apart either.

Has anyone got any words of wisdom having ridden both of these bikes?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

both are Horst link so I’m assuming little in the suspension traits to pull them apart either.

IME they felt completley different, the spesh I barely noticed doing anything (but it was), the whyte felt like you could feel the wheel moving up and down and all the angles on the bike changeing. Both probably equaly good, but the Spesh proabbly needed much bigger inputs to deliberately upset the suspension (e.g. pumping a jump) whereas they Whyte almost the opposite, deperately trying to keep everything level and even.

Probably as much to do with shock damping as well though. Worth finding a demo though if you don’t know how either ride.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Interesting, I wonder if that’s a factor of the difference in travel between the two?

As per my initial post, I’ve ridden and loved the Speccy but demo of the Whyte doesn’t seem easy to come by for a couple of months.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Whyte v Speccy’ is closed to new replies.