Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Whyte T130 Yari or Canyon Strive AL 6.0?
  • davosaurusrex

Bit similar to the Canyon or YT thread but hey.

Mate (who is too “busy” to post on here…) has narrowed it down to these two bikes. He has already discounted a Capra due to CS concerns. So a few questions if I may;

Have Canyon got back on top of their ordering system? Are they hitting the dates shown on their site now?

Any recent Canyon warranty support info? Reports seem mixed historically.

I know some of the earlier shapeshifter valves had reliability issues and long waits for replacement, is this sorted now?

Any feedback on build quality, bearing life etc on either?

Any other thoughts welcome on ride, weights, other components etc. Also info on size ridden and height and any other vital statistics (within reason, he’s likely to be reading this and is a sex pest. Hi Will!) would be good too.

Fanks!

legend
    Free Member

He’s comparing a130mm trail bike with a 160mm ENDURO sled, does he know what sort of bike he wants?

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, totally different bikes. Whats he riding? Don’t just pick a brand and then dart board the bike. The Spectral would be a bit closer to the t130, but still is more bike.

If he’s after the Strive, then he should be looking at the g160.

davosaurusrex

He has also been contemplating the g160 but is leaning towards the canyon due to value and the shape-shifter. He’s concerned the T130 doesn’t have enough travel, be ideal for round here (South Downs/Surrey) but he also has a burly hardtail for that. I was thinking of the Spectral myself but he’s not as fast as he thinks he is.

johnnystorm

If he can’t be arsed logging on here to let a stranger spend his money does it matter? Pick the one you like best so if he doesn’t like it you can make a cheeky low offer. 😉

davosaurusrex

Good point, well made. However, he’s also a shortarse whereas I’m well North of 6 foots worth of chiselled testosterone. I doubt if he’s 5’9″ in his Cuban heels.

johnnystorm

Tell him the XL label means extra low.

nickdavies

Whyte. He’ll be thankful when the shapeshifter packs up and he’s without a bike for 6 months.

I’ve just got the rockerarm link I ordered for my strive end of last year, and that was only after chase and chase and chase. The U.K. Office was decent enough when they eventually got involved to sort it but head office need shooting. Add that to the couple of months for a brake warranty (admittedly sram) and my bikes been useless for 9 months in the past 12.

Although if you compare apples and apples, my money would go on a bird Aeris rather than either of those 2 options.

davosaurusrex

Thanks Nick, that’s useful info. He was looking at the Aeris but said the next batch isn’t due for a while. That said the Strive isn’t available now either.

davosaurusrex

Bump, any more for any more?

nickgti
    Free Member

Is he sure you can even get the hold of the Whyte I’ve heard they are selling out very quickly

mboy
    Free Member

Whyte. He’ll be thankful when the shapeshifter packs up and he’s without a bike for 6 months.

This… But not exclusively for this reason…

The T-130 is an awesome bike, so much more than the numbers suggest. Write it off as a “130mm travel trail bike” at your peril, cos it’s as capable as many longer travel machines when the going gets rough, but will get you back to the top faster and allow you to enjoy the less gnarly stuff more than on a big travel rig.

Stock is in VERY short demand though… I know we’ve got a medium and a large left in stock, possibly an XL, but we pre-ordered loads and that’s all we’ve got left now. Whyte’s UK allocation sold out months ago, so no shops will be able to order you one in now so it’s a case of going with a shop that’s got one… Worth it though, as the bike is awesome, and Whyte’s backup and warranty is 2nd to none too!

gaidong
    Free Member

“Thanks Nick, that’s useful info. He was looking at the Aeris but said the next batch isn’t due for a while. “

I believe Bird’s ship docked a few days ago so plenty of Aeris stock should be heading to Eversley…

mirage

Thanks guys you are awesome.

Dave you certainly are a chiselled and fine figure of a man. Not the gangling skinny gent they say you are.

Still don’t reckon the t 130 will have enough travel though to compensate for my shit riding.

Are the shapeshifters really that unreliable?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T130 Yari or Canyon Strive AL 6.0?’ is closed to new replies.