Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Whyte t130 vs Canyon Spectral…
  • mrmoofo

Which would you choose – I would looking at a Yari Whyte and a Pike Canyon …

mrmoofo

More info …
    Large rider – trial / southdowns riding ….
    Never been over impressed with rear suspension ( Patriot 66)
    Looking at full sudser as my back is beginning to complain about HTs.

Canyon from the outlet – and well kitted out (AL 8.0 ex)
    Whyte will “just” be the T130s

mboy
    Free Member

Whyte will “just” be the T130s

Which has won various awards most notably MBR Trail Bike of the year! So I don’t get your point…

For me, Whyte all day long. Other people’s opinions will differ… What size do you need? Finding a T-130 in your size in stock right now may prove to be the sticking point!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

My wife bought me a T130s..
    It’s all the bike and more that I’ll ever need..

mrmoofo

Cool – thanks
    I will need an XL … it’s borderline
    But after many years of riding small frames, I am going larger …

6ft 3 inches BTW

Looks like a wait for a Whyte …

tom200

A spectral will probably be too small.

mrmoofo

Even an XL spectral ??

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I imagine both will be excellent, go for the one that appeals to you the most.

Obviously the benefit of the Whyte is that you’ll be able to sit on it before buying, but I have a medium Spectral (5’9″) and it fits as I’d expect it to, so I imagine a XL should be fine for you.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I got the spectral 7.0 ex with pike ( large 5.10 I’m very borderline) a solid build the sram wheels are far better than I expected it runs Great downhill but feels a bit sluggish and heavy uphill compared to my Nerve (size medium)

You’ll have to see what canyon are bringing out as XL sold out in that model , announcement of 2017 bikes any time, delivery will be a good few months I’d expect

For my local riding West Yorkshire, peaks, Hebden bridge with lots of climbing etc it can feel a bit overbiked, I’m happy on 120mm suspension if I’m honest

mboy
    Free Member

Cool – thanks
    I will need an XL … it’s borderline
    But after many years of riding small frames, I am going larger …

6ft 3 inches BTW

Looks like a wait for a Whyte …

Have you considered the T-129 as an alternative? I know everyone wants 650b wheels now they’re the big new thing and they “bring the trails alive” and all that, but IMO the T-129 is the better bike. 2017 model has much improved rear tyre clearance over the 2016 model (which still got 5/5 in all the reviews!). Most sizes are in stock now so shouldn’t be difficult to get hold of one.

rickon
    Free Member

If it was my money I’d be doing all I can to steer clear of Canyon or YT. They’re great value, until you have a problem then you’re screwed. I know so many people who’ve had issues with their customer service.

Buy local, get local support.

Don’t over think spec too much either, sram GX to Sram XX1 all feels incredibly similar.

The Yari is a great fork, plus you can upgrade it to a charger damper in the future, so you’ll end up with a Lyric.

mrmoofo

If it was my money I’d be doing all I can to steer clear of Canyon or YT. They’re great value, until you have a problem then you’re screwed. I know so many people who’ve had issues with their customer service.

Buy local, get local support.

Don’t over think spec too much either, sram GX to Sram XX1 all feels incredibly similar.

The Yari is a great fork, plus you can upgrade it to a charger damper in the future, so you’ll end up with a Lyric.

All good comments – I guess I was being driven by the price on the Canyon. But my bargain / eBay/ internet fu seems to be in tatters at the moment, so I may have to just stump up full price.
    Nearest dealer is Worthing, and my only visit to them showed me their sales team new less that I did. And no, they would net get in an XL ( in fact they wouldn’t even get in a large for me to try).
    Anyone good in the Sussex/ South area for Whyte?

redjon
    Free Member

I have a Canyon spectral Al8.0 and y brother has a Whyte T130SCR. Both excellent bikes, the Canyon is definitely my preference and it feels a bit lighter too. Personally prefer the Shimano and FOX kit on the canyon so it’s really a matter of preference. Spectral is AWESOME though….

snooze
    Free Member

+1 for considering a 29er along the lines of the Whyte T-129, especially if you are 6′ 3″ and riding the Southdowns and general trail riding.

vicksplace

The bike shop at Bedgebury is a Whyte dealer, and has a fleet of hire T130s that you can try for sizing if you like. We were there at the weekend and my friend bought an XL (bit of an impulse!) which they had in stock and built up for us late in the day.

Great bike and great service from them, they did us a great deal, would really recommend.

Painey
    Free Member

+1 for considering a 29er along the lines of the Whyte T-129, especially if you are 6′ 3″ and riding the Southdowns and general trail riding.

I’m 6ft 3, ride the South Downs a lot and also do a fair few trips to Wales etc each year. T-129 is a great bike, but I wouldn’t personally get one over say a Spectral. Purely personal taste though. If most of your riding is on one bike over the south downs then a 29er is a very good shout.

Also, a mate has a large Spectral and it feels a bit small for me so definitely an XL if you’re looking at getting one.

tenfoot

Great bike and great service from them, they did us a great deal, would really recommend.

Quench at Bedgebury are excellent. Once helped me out FOC and saved what would have been a wasted journey.

I bought a pair of new gloves there as a payback.

Steelsreal

if you want to try a T130-RS for less than a s Try Here

XL in Southampton ex demo 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Whyte t130 vs Canyon Spectral…’ is closed to new replies.