Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 268 total)
  • Whyte T130 show and tell
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,

If anyone is interested I have a one ride old T130S for sale.

Size Large.

Intended to use it this year and unfortunately circumstances have changed and need to raise some money.

RRP is 2750 but looking for 2200 or nearest offer.

It is a 2018 model,GX Eagle,Revelations etc.

Will be fully serviced before sale.

I work in the trade so have a fully equipped workshop.

Photos available on email below:

singlespeedtothemax1@hotmail.co.uk

Sorry if i messed up the thread!

Thanks,

Max

jonah77
    Free Member

I have a 2017rs and find the fork can be a bit spikey on fast choppy descents. Anyone else experienced this? Just wondered whether a service will solve the problem, any views?

lawman91

@bacondoublechee, where did you get the ML3 tune from? Will try the ML tune but already tempted to go for the ML3 tune or just say blow it and go down the Vorsprung Tractive Valve route!

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

SRAM part number is 11.4118.023.055, if you google that you should get some results, e.g. https://www.hibike.com/rock-shox-shock-spare-part-damping-p333fee60b3db20ccd96874b7e8e63bcc

There is a second shim stack in the reservoir too, from my experimenting and understanding, it only affects the two “non-open” lever positions, so you can add or remove shims to make the lever more or less firm. I pulled out a big shim once and it definitely felt softer on the firm lever setting, but didn’t seem to affect the open setting (looks like the oil can bypass that shim stack when the lever is open).

If I am correct, the Vorsprung tractive thing is basically just a more granular off the shelf tune matched to your frames compression ratio and rider weight, whereby Vorsprung have a database of shim stacks offering more fine tuning than RockShox’s four factory options.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

If anyone else thinks the chainline on their bike is a bit rubbish when winching up steep hills in the big sprocket, you can run a non boost (6mm offset) SRAM direct mount chainring. It is pretty close to the chainstay but has around 3mm clearance and the chain runs much smoother in the 42t sprocket. Tested it out yesterday with  4000ft of vertical in 12 miles!

hodgynd
    Free Member

Jeeezus..where were you… in the foothills of Everest ?

lawman91

Never had any noise issues with Eagle, the XT 11-speed on my old Mondraker however and other bikes I’ve ridden with it have sounded horrendous. To be fair I’m not a fan of any 11-speed gear, all the Shimano I’ve ridden has sounded awful and not been particularly slick and 11-speed SRAM just feels cheap and nasty and that’s before the narrow/wide upper jockey wheel goes out sync!!

Just got a new Eagle oval ring to try out and a Hope BB as the GXP one is goosed, just waiting on stickers for the Monarch Plus and mine will be back up and running!

lawman91

Warranty replacement Monarch Plus and matching decals installed, also got some Maxxis Forekaster 2.35’s to try and speed and lighten it up a bit, the DHF/HR II combo was probably grippier than I need and sooooo draggy. Gone back a Flux saddle as well as the Fabric I had before creaked like nothing else and isn’t as comfy. The lever’s on the guide rs brakes are getting a bit sticky too so will be splashing out on some Hope Race E4’s come pay day. Still absolutely loving this bike, it does everything so well and is a real blast to ride!

weeksy

Went to lube chain. My cranks don’t move lol. Not a problem, bottom bracket dead. 2 min swap.

Oh. My tool doesn’t fit! The swingarm is in the way on one side!*

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acor-Bottom-Bracket-Tools-Fits-Shimano-Hollowtech-II-SRAM-GXP-MTB-Bike-Cranks/142529956071?epid=1023800419&hash=item212f7288e7:g:Z0oAAOSw3gJZNqsQ

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Z0oAAOSw3gJZNqsQ/s-l1600.jpg%5B/img%5D

Impatience got the better of me, I thought the tool is likely to be delayed by the 5,000,000 tonnes of snow.
    So it was just a question of whipping out the lower swingarm pivot bolt and that then gives access to the other side of the bottom bracket. Not really sure why I didn’t think of that plan on Friday night in all honesty. I think I sort of did, but dismissed it.
    As it was, it gave me a good chance to clean it all up and check the bearings too. Which happily, are as smooth as silk.
    New BB installed and my cranks spin sweetly once again. Not that I will be riding it at the moment, but I can’t stand it when things are not ready to roll.

jakeg1
    Free Member

So an update on the Whyte…. Here it is in it’s full glory so far. we have upgrades consisting of:

Ccdb inline coil, Stans flow mk3 on blue Hope pro4 hubs, Vee rubber, DMR Axe cranks, DMR Wingbar mk3, DMR Deathgrips in orange, DMR Vault mag pedals, Sram GX Eagle with 34t chainring up front and an MRP Ramp control cartridge in the fork.

I’m currently looking at a pair of  2018 Xfusion Sweep HLR roughcut forks with 150mm of travel to beef up the front end a bit, should slightly extend the wheelbase and slacken it off to 66 degrees which isn’t mega but it should be a hell of a lot more capable in the really rough stuff.

really enjoying the bike after over a year of riding it and its brought my riding on so much as im super comfortable on it and it just inspires me to push harder when im out riding it. The fact that i’ve beefed it up also means i’m not so worried about smashing it around and things breaking which is a bonus 😀

weeksy

I noticed even on the small increase to 140mm front end (admittedly also with a longer axle>crown length too) you can really notice a difference in how it rides on trails, not necessarily in a good way… it gets a bit slower to turn, less flicky and fun… Sure you can hit more things, but there’s a trade-off too.

I’ve even decided to use my T-130 outdoors on road rides now 🙂 It’s even great for that. Although as time passes i wonder if i should have gone with the Large instead… I keep looking out for a large frame now, but part of me is tempted to purchase a large from Winstanleys and swap all my bits over to the frame and then flog mine with all the new parts but the old frame (it’s pretty immaculate).

weeksy

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension-mtb-bikes/whyte-t-130-sx-650b-2015-bike

Eeeeek. They’ve lowered the price.. that’s VERY tempting now lol.

jakeg1
    Free Member

I noticed even on the small increase to 140mm front end (admittedly also with a longer axle>crown length too) you can really notice a difference in how it rides on trails, not necessarily in a good way… it gets a bit slower to turn, less flicky and fun… Sure you can hit more things, but there’s a trade-off too.

I’ve even decided to use my T-130 outdoors on road rides now  It’s even great for that. Although as time passes i wonder if i should have gone with the Large instead… I keep looking out for a large frame now, but part of me is tempted to purchase a large from Winstanleys and swap all my bits over to the frame and then flog mine with all the new parts but the old frame (it’s pretty immaculate).

really? tbh the whyte is the steepest and shortest travel bike i’ve had in a while, had an ellsworth moment with a slackset and 160mm forks (65.6 ha) and a dmr bolt l with 150mm forks which was the same @ 67 degrees. i might drop the bars a few mm and get a 35mm stem which should help. most of my riding is gravity oriented trail riding so im not fussed about how it climbs so much, as long as i can get to the top to tear down then im happy, i climb faster than most of my riding buddies as it is. i did wonder about getting a large but i was right on the limit with a 150mm dropper, the m is still longer than a lot of other medium bikes out there

weeksy

me and my oppo have matching bikes…  both same model, same size, everything… Except mine had clunky forks so i swapped them for the Xfusion 140s… We went to Afan shortly after and 1/2 way round swapped bikes, you could notice instantly the difference.

I asked him to jump on mine but never mentioned before hand why or what i was thnking. He commented straight away that the front end felt sluggish on mine…

jakeg1
    Free Member

me and my oppo have matching bikes…  both same model, same size, everything… Except mine had clunky forks so i swapped them for the Xfusion 140s… We went to Afan shortly after and 1/2 way round swapped bikes, you could notice instantly the difference.

I asked him to jump on mine but never mentioned before hand why or what i was thnking. He commented straight away that the front end felt sluggish on mine…

if i do find it a problem i can adjust the travel on the sweep hlr down to 130 easy enough as it’s done internally. the roughcut damper is phenomenal and highly regarded as one of the best on the market at the moment so it would still be an upgrade over the stock yari

weeksy

Don’t get me wrong, i still love the bike… I still use the bike and it’s still brilliant.

It’s just ‘different’ to how it was and how his is 🙂

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

weeksy, that’s an older model of the T130, it has a front mech for a start, not sure if the geometry is the same. If the G150’s were anything to go by, I would avoid Whytes without the wider single ring specific main pivot.

weeksy

1. Yes, it’s a 15, fairly different to 16/17s.

2. Doesn’t now but came with a direct mount yes.

3. Why avoid?

lawman91

The ’15 varient was much shorter in the TT, which arguably is what makes the newer bike so good. I haven’t ridden an older T130 but on paper I wouldn’t want to go any shorter in the TT than my ’17 T130C, a 50mm stem is the longest I’d want to run and that would mean I’d need an XL in the shorter frame, but then the seat tube is too long to run a 150mm dropper.

The pre-SCR bikes also had wiggly back ends, I rode a T129 with the older, narrower design and it was pretty flexy at the back end, even though the chainstays are only 5mm longer than the T130. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the ’15 T130 is a bad bike, but I would wager the newer ones with SCR back ends and longer TT’s are better. Both are great, if someone offered me a ’15 T130 I wouldn’t say no, but personally I’d rather pay a bit more and get the in theory “better” & more “up to date” geometry.

At that price though it is a proper bargain, and if you ever had any warranty issues with the frame, you’d get the new one anyway!

lawman91

Got the Hope Race E4’s fitted yesterday, look ace and feel amazing! In combination with the tyres the bike’s down to a smidge under 30lbs, 29lbs 14oz so only just there! My guess is the frame must be a bit porky as my old Mondraker was just under 28lbs with pedals, even taking the superlight Next SL cranks out of the equation the rest of the kit is comparable, so the frame must be a good lb or heavier, perhaps in part due to the alloy back end. Even so, I’m chuffed with how it’s riding at the minute, am yet to try the brakes in anger and the Monarch Plus still needs a bit of fettling, but overall it’s hard to fault!

jakeg1
    Free Member

would hate to think what mine weighs, is probably around the 33-34lb mark with the coils shock in there. need to get it on a set of scales haha

weeksy

50km of mostly road on mine this morning. It did have a bit of a clunky/click in the latter half of the ride on hills. Given it a strip down, grease and check, but not exactly sure where it was from. It’s still great though, even as a road bike.

afanmark
    Free Member

Ive had my 2017 T130 for 18 months now, its been great so far. One problem now tho, the chain keeps falling off when things get bumpy. I have tried shortening the chain but that didn’t work.  I would like to fit a chain guide but cant see any way of being able to fit one to the bike. Has anyone had this problem with their T130? Has anyone managed to fit a chain guide?

rascal
    Free Member

Clutch on mech ok? Chain or chainring worn?

You really shouldn’t need to put a chain device on but if you do I’m selling a BlackSpire Stinger in classifieds 😉

wooderson

@ afanmark – I’ve had to fit a One-up chain device that sits behind the bearing cup (like an old school Stinger et al).

An alternative approach might be one of the new knobbled chainstay protectors on the 2019 Stumpjumper. The guys at my LBS – who have just taken in a load of 2019 Stumjumpers – claim that Specialized were reserching why on sustained rough trails the chain can whip or resonate to such an extent that it can overcome the clutch tension and then come off the chainring. Their thinking behind the knobbled protector is that it will dampen the whipping chain at different frequencies and thus prevent a derailment. The Stumpy also has an ISG mount, but the rubber protector is a mch more elegant solution if it actually works.

Interesting theory and it correlates with my experience of the specific times when my T130 threw a chain before I stuck on the One-Up.

Hope that helps

karlp
    Free Member

In answer to a couple of points in posts above.

For context 2017 T130RS.

Me too on third seat, and issue was seat moving on rails.

Me too chain coming off at times on fast bumpy descents. No issues with clutch mech, chain or chaining. Going to try a bb chain device.

Do love the bike, very confidence inspiring.

mjsmke

Interesting stuff about the difference in lenght from 2015 and 16 onwards. I have a 2015 SCR and prefer it’ length to my Bird Zero. Both size small. But then I’m only 5ft5.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I use a one-up BB mounted chain device on my T130, to be honest you shouldn’t need it unless your narrow-wide chainring is wearing out though. I get about 9 months out of a chainring before it starts dropping the chain everywhere (obviously not since I put the chain device on).

afanmark
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. Clutch is fine but yeah the chainring is a bit worn, i am hoping to make it last a bit longer tho with the chain guide and save money in the long run. The mech system is working really well apart from the chain dropping off! I will look into the One Up bb mounted guide.

lawman91

Dropped a chain on mine once, but that was down to a crazy amount of mud packed around the ring, pretty common on narrow/wide rings but overly purely rough terrain alone I’ve yet to ship one. Running a 34t Eagle oval chainring.

wooderson

One Up chain guide This is the little fella. Nicely made and easy to adjust

Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m looking for a new bike. My riding consists of (in order of regularity):

Local Essex jumpy trail spots (I live in East London)

Jumpy stuff (Chicksands etc)

Surrey Hills

North Wales DH and XC trails (parents live up there)

Bike parks (BPW etc)

Alps (hopefully a week this summer)

I think ideally I’d like something 150mm front/140mm rear. I’m also tempted by the T130 – it sounds like it pedals reasonably well (I am really keen for a nimble chuck-able bike), and descends well for a 130mm bike. I would like to hear people’s thoughts on it’s toughness – will it stand up to a few big jumps (and likely a few big cases), will it be OK in the Alps etc? I know it won’t be as smooth as an enduro/DH bike, but will it fall apart?

FWIW, I’d be open to extending the fork to 140mm if possible.

Thanks!

Duane.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I can’t see you breaking one in a hurry, they aren’t built light! Mine (carbon model) has done BPW a couple of times (including enter the dragon etc) and has been to Finale without missing a beat.

lawman91

Picked up some bargain Truvativ Stylo carbon cranks from work recently as they were on clearance, nothing wrong with my X1 cranks other than them being scuffed to hell but for the price it would’ve been rude not too! Look ace and while they’re only 50 or so grams lighter every little helps! Bike has been pretty faultless recently during the crazy nice weather we’ve had in North Wales recently so been making the most of it (though it is now pissing it down!) Genuinely can’t think of anything I’d change on it at the minute, it’s just riding so bloody well!

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

A bit of a resurection of a thread.

What is real life experience with wide-ish rear tyre on that bike? Something like real 2.5-2.6 inch?

Is that going to fit?

Cheers!

I.

pjm7
    Free Member

Mine (2017 T130c-works) seems to be falling to bits at the moment, upper headset bearing failed, replaced both with Hope.

Maxle seized in front wheel, ended up chopping it out with junior hacksaw and replacing with new style one and now the front brake has the seized master cylinder piston issue, just awaiting replacement piston,  sounds like I don’t maintain the bike very well but that’s really not the case, good job I’m lucky enough to have a DH bike to play on too!

mrmoofo

Worried about this post ^

Was going to ask .. thinking one a T-130 or an s150 ….

General trail riding and being kinder on my back that the current hadtail …

Also in the picture was a Canyon Spectral, or a Cotic FlareMax…

Or is it now worth to see what comes out in ’19?

cobrakai

I’ve got the 2015 T130s and been up grading as I go along. 1×11, hubs, stem etc.

What’s the max rear tyre clearance? Only asking because I know 2016 onwards they increased it.

I’ve got 2.25 Nobby nics on the back but would like 2.35 for winter.

pjm7
    Free Member

Mrmoofo, I still think it’s a great bike and up til now hasn’t missed a beat, just seem to have everything happen at once!

weeksy

Spent yesterday at the Alps in morzine and Les Gets on my t130.

Bike was just superb here. Did everything with easy, even the trickier stuff. But just flew down everything with ease. It’s possible if I’d been pushing harder it may have got out of its depth but I’m not convinced that’s true.

Apart from the forks being changed for 140s and none knocky / rattly ones, Ive not touched the bike. It’s done several thousand miles, uplifts, xc racing, roads, Ridgeway, all of them brilliantly.

I’m in a minor dilemma in some ways now as Mrs weeksy was envious of our bonding time yesterday as me and my 10 year old had an ace day, so it’s very possible the t130 may become hers. If that’s the case I’ll be getting an s150 to replace it I think. But that remains to be seen.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T130 show and tell’ is closed to new replies.