Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 268 total)
  • Whyte T130 show and tell
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

ML tune is compression force 80lbs, ML3 is compression force 60lbs. Not entirely sure how they measure it!

Basically ML3 is the lowest compression damping model as the T130 has a low leverage ratio.

I applaud your knowlededge! Cheers

rascal
    Free Member

After trying and putfing a deposit down on a T130s on Sat for £2000 I was hesitating and looking to try other bikes. Canyon Spectral felt short even as a large. Long story short, I have found a 2017 T130RS with a sizeable discount (£600 off) in large which felt fine with the S. I have til 3.30pm today to decide. Love the look and spec – much better than the S. Was looking to try a Bird Aeris on Sat – specced one up that was similar kit to this RS and was coming in at £2900 without a dropper. Shall I just do it?

blacknose
    Free Member

Yeah probably.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Shall I just do it?

I have one and would personally advise against it simply because of the poor performing rear shock. Although you could upgrade it with the saving you would be making…

rascal
    Free Member

I was hoping the shock would be good at £3k…what’s wrong with it?
    Don’t wanna spend any more in spite of the saving…

stevextc
    Free Member

So the pikes arrived this afternoon
    A cut off bath sealant tube makes a great crown race setting tool .my DIY starnut fitting could be.better though so I might stick a new one sometime .. the 140 air shaft arrives tomorrow

stevextc
    Free Member

dup

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

SRAM warrantied my OEM Monarch RT3 (had a knock inside, found some broken bits on the compression adjust mechanism inside) and yesterday I got sent back a brand new Monarch Plus instead! But in MM tune which will feel permanently locked out on a T130… So i’ve got to pull apart a brand new shock to put it right!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Don’t wanna spend any more in spite of the saving…

It’s insensitive on small stuff and feels harsh on sharp-edged hits but feel like it blows thru on landings. This is on local trails btw so should hoover it all up for breakfast really.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I got sent back a brand new Monarch Plus instead! But in MM tune which will feel permanently locked out on a T130… So i’ve got to pull apart a brand new shock to put it right!

Good and bad in equal measure!! Sounds like you enjoy the tinkering on the quiet tho.

stevextc
    Free Member

Another go at the photo of the new Pikes fitted but still in 130mm until I get some Pike specific oil (0W30). apparently which of course must be completely different to 3wt in the damper and 5wt on the SID/Revelations and 2.5 Wt in the Reverb ???.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Looks good that stxtc. What rims you on there?

patriotpro
    Free Member

bacondoublechee – can you link me to the mounting hardward required for the CC Inline pls?

stevextc
    Free Member

Looks good that stxtc. What rims you on there?

These are my £100 wheels!
    Rims are Superstar Tactic mounted on Superstar Fuel Hubs and were bought New Years sale for £100 for both!

I didn’t actually weigh them as the idea of getting these was as a set to put on when I don’t want to risk damaging my Giant Carbon P-TRX Rims (wheels are £700 + to replace RRP each) and take wider tyres as needed and .. well FFS they were £100…

They feel MUCH MUCH lighter than the Whyte Hubs and WTB Rims with the WTB tyres that came as stock…. I did mean to weight them but once I’d stuck the tyres on and got them to seal I just kept using them. TBH I don’t know where the weight comes from in the stock wheels… or if its all … but the gold doesn’t go bad with the Orange… and I should try and swap the stem which is a bit of overkill but I had it lying around and wanted a 50mm (and it appears Whyte stopped selling theirs)

When I stick the 140 air tube in I can move the stem down 10mm ..

patriotpro
    Free Member

and I should try and swap the stem which is a bit of overkill but I had it lying around and wanted a 50mm (and it appears Whyte stopped selling theirs)

The stock wheels do feel heavy on my 2017 RS. Weight is in the wide 29mm rims i imagine.

I have the Whyte 50mm stem from my 2017 RS in the classifieds…Drop me a pm/email if you’re interested…

stevextc
    Free Member

I have the Whyte 50mm stem from my 2017 RS in the classifieds…Drop me a pm/email if you’re interested…

pm’d you ..I. found the classified… I’ll take it if you pm me payment.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just replied to your email Stxtc, cheers

mjsmke

Heres my 2015 T130.

Arggghh! I still cant get photos to work! Tried Dropbox (use to work fine), Onedrive, Facebook and now Google drive. Any other ideas?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

bacondoublechee – can you link me to the mounting hardward required for the CC Inline pls?

CCDB Inline uses standard size bushes, so you can re-use the originals. I have Burgtec titanium ones in mine. I am also testing a Burgtec offset rear mount in mine at 90 degrees to drop the shock lower from the top tube for a little more clearance, as I didn’t want to take any more material off the shock. It seems to be holding position so far!

mjsmke

Ok, so imjur works! Anyway heres my 2015 T130.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Lovely pic that mjsmke

cheers bdc

rascal
    Free Member

I’ve bought a T130RS ’17 which I pick up on Sun.
    Even though last Sat I rode the S round a car park and popped a few small drops and rode up a short steep bank it felt fine size wise, and did the same with a mates C Works version later that day and that was ok too…both large as is the one I’ve bought. Why then can’t I shale the feeling it’s too short in the TT/reach? I think it’s because I tried a L Canyon Spectral on Sun and it felt killed me on the climbs – felt too short. There’s no substitute for a proper ride is there! Similar numbers too. I’m 6′ BTW so bang in the middle of Whyte’s height guide. Don’t want to spend £2400 on a bike and then find out on the first proper climb I bought the wrong one! Tell me I’m worrying over nothing 😳

patriotpro
    Free Member

Rascal – I have the 2017 RS in Large and am the same height as you are. The reach is ROOMY to say the least. I’ve shortened out with a 33mm stem and it still feels plenty long. I’d have been OK with a medium but already planned the short stem/wide bar upgrade hence the decision to go large!

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I think you are on the line between L and XL at 6′ – personal preference could swing it either way. Having the short seat tube means you choose the size by reach rather than seat tube length.

gra

Great thread, T130 is currently at the top of my list. From the reviews, it seems to be mainly a trail centre fun type bike, if that makes sense? Is it good over longer distances too? I noticed earlier in the thread postierich mentioned using his for bike-packing and there were a couple of great pics from the Brecons. Is it capable of covering distance and long climbs at a reasonable pace?

rascal
    Free Member

Rascal – I have the 2017 RS in Large and am the same height as you are. The reach is ROOMY to say the least. I’ve shortened out with a 33mm stem and it still feels plenty long. I’d have been OK with a medium but already planned the short stem/wide bar upgrade hence the decision to go large!

I think you are on the line between L and XL at 6′ – personal preference could swing it either way. Having the short seat tube means you choose the size by reach rather than seat tube length.

In true STW there’s 2 contradicting answers in consecutive posts 😉
    Thanks for the replies though…
    Checked the stats on my large Trigger…the T130 is longer in reach and ETT…not by much but I would have been concerned if it was shorter, and the Trigger is good.
    Patriotpro – liking your answer…bacon, do you actually own a T130 just out of interest as it’s not clear?
    Hope it fits as found out today it has a Hope rear hub which passed me by so well happy with that!
    Thanks

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Racal, yes I do have a T130, raced it at Ard Rock on Saturday and brought it home in 48th/450 in masters.

One of my friends has an XL T130 and I actually think I could ride it OK with a short stem at 5’10”, but I’ve only had a quick spin on it.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Lovely pic Bdc 8)

In true STW there’s 2 contradicting answers in consecutive posts

Whyte recommend Size L for heights between 5’10 & 6’2 and XL for heights between 6’2 & 6’6…

surfingobo
    Free Member

For what it’s worth I demoed a 2017 XL and it fit like a glove. I’m 6ft and wear 32inch leg jeans.

cobrakai

Just a quick?

I’ve got an old hard tail for family duties with the rear mounted kiddy seat that bolts on to the down tube.

Does anybody think it would work in the t130? I’m 85kg and the little one is 13kg, so 100kg ish all in.

I’d up the pressure in the forks or lock out the rear but would the frame and links take it?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Whytes are pretty solid so you might be ok, you would just need to check on the clamping forces on the tube for your seat. Maybe ask ATB (the distributor)…

The owners manual states:

Maximum Weight Limit for Whyte G-160, T-130-C, T-130 & T-129: 18st. / 114kg (including rider’s luggage) LINK

cobrakai

Yeh I’ll ask the distributor. thanks for the reply!

rudedog
    Free Member

Been thinking about replacing my large Transition Bandit which I’ve always found to be too short in the tube.

The t130 is one of the bikes I’ve been looking at, most of the rides I do are in the Pentlands so new bike needs to be a capable climber as well as fun on the descents.

Was looking at the RS but after reading this thread, seems a few folk have commented on the wheels being heavy and something they replaced – don’t really want to splash so much cash on bike that needs an expensive upgrade so would be interested to know how much the wheel set actually weighed?

cheers

Rob

rascal
    Free Member

In the process of putting some frame protection on new T130RS.
    Wondered if anyone’s used neoprene chainstay protectors…and is do what size and brand?
    Cheers

rudedog
    Free Member

Anyone know where I can demo one in the North West?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

https://www.whyte.bike/dealer-locator

Any blue logos on there are supposed to be a test center.

rudedog
    Free Member

bacondoublechee – Member
    https://www.whyte.bike/dealer-locator

Any blue logos on there are supposed to be a test center.

cheers but already been down that route – none of them seem to have any demo bikes. Was hoping someone might have some local knowledge (maybe know somewhere that had them in their hire fleet etc).

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Rude dog, I’ve a large 2017 T130s you’re welcome to try.
    I’m in Cheshire if that’s any help?

rascal
    Free Member

How have you got on with the WTB Trail Boss/Vigilante tyre combo?
    I have them with tubes as bike came but not tried yet…if I like them I will set them up tubeless…if not they are going. Any issues setting them up? If you’ve binned them what did you go for instead? Cheers

Mintman
    Free Member

I’ve been happy enough with that combination over the last 4 months but the rear does lose traction quicker than the front so I’m not sure that they prove to be good all season all-rounders.

I’m not into tyre swapping so keen to find a fit-and-forget tyre recommendation that I can leave on all year.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 268 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T130 show and tell’ is closed to new replies.