Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Whyte T130 – S or RS?
  • morphio
    Free Member

Which do you think makes more sense, the S or RS spec?

Advice welcome, getting back into MTB after a long time off. Had great fun in Swinley last weekend on the T130S. Still need to give the Bird Aeris a go maybe next week, but assuming I get a T130 which spec would you get? Can’t justify the carbon versions atm. Mostly riding Surrey hills, Swinley etc. Occasional trip to BPW, or places like Brecon, Peaks etc. May just rent something bigger for Morzine trips etc.

S £2,450:
    Fork Rockshox Yari RL
    Shock Monarch debonair RT
    Rear hub own brand
    Gears SRAM GX 10-42
    Cranks SRAM GX 30T crank
    Brakes SRAM Level TL
    14.2kg

RS £ 2,950
    Fork Fox Float performance 34 3-Pos Damper
    Shock Fox Float DPS performance 3 pos adjust evol
    Rear hub Hope Pro 4
    Gears XTM8000 11-46
    Cranks Raceface turbine 32T

Thanks!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

My wife just bought me the S for my ( belated) birthday.
    It’s all the bike I’ll ever need.

I’d prefer it to have had Shimano, -mind, I’ve never ridden SRAM, so we’ll see, but other than that? I can’t complain..

jayx2a
    Free Member

Get the RS if you can afford it (or want to spend the extra), either are great bikes (rode the s over the weekend).

fifeandy
    Free Member

Neither, the alloy versions are a lot of cash for a heavy bike. It’s firmly in the category of bike that has to be pedalled up first, and at >14kg its never going to climb well.

cokie

Ping me an email at cokie.stw@gmail.com
    I’ve got a spreadsheet comparing the two spec and some other bits.

morphio
    Free Member

@fifeandy the S certainly didn’t feel heavy on the (short) climbs in Swinley. What would you suggest instead? The C-RS with Pikes looks lovely, but probably more than I should be spending right now!

Does anyone have any opinions on the difference between yari/monarch and fox 34/float? Don’t have much experience with either.

wooderson

I’ve got a 2016 RS and the higher spec is better value. However, with the 2017 bikes subject to a £200 price hike overt lady years bikes, it brings them into the price territory of some seriously tempting competitors. For me a carbon Devinci Troy RS from Freeborn at £2699 had got to be worth a comparable test ride.

wooderson

I’ve got a 2016 RS and the higher spec is better value. However, with the 2017 bikes subject to a £200 price hike over las years bikes, it brings them into the price territory of some seriously tempting competitors. For me a carbon Devinci Troy RS from Freeborn at £2699 had got to be worth a comparable test ride.

Oh and the T130rs climbs beautifully with the shock fly open. Never notice the weight, but I do notice how comfortable the riding position is and how easy if it’s too keep the front wheel down

jayx2a
    Free Member

Yeah the £200 hike is quite a bit TBH. You can still find the odd 2016 model if you search hard enough!

mboy
    Free Member

Yeah the £200 hike is quite a bit TBH.

Voted for Brexit did we? 🙄

Neither, the alloy versions are a lot of cash for a heavy bike. It’s firmly in the category of bike that has to be pedalled up first, and at >14kg its never going to climb well.

Clearly A) Never ridden a T-130 and B) Totally missing the point of the bike! 😕

I sell them, we do rather well with them as you can imagine (reviews and all), Cokie up there bought his from me. If the choice was mine, I’d go for the S and keep the £500 in your pocket. The SRAM GX is great kit, you won’t miss the Hope rear hub, and I’d rather a Yari than the new Fox forks up front myself. Save the money, spend it elsewhere (more agressive tyres for a start) and you’ll be better off IMO.

morphio
    Free Member

Thanks, lots of interesting feedback.

Although I may have managed to find someone that has a 2016 RS-C with the pikes for the price of the 2017 RS. Which might swing it.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@mboy, i’m well aware of the reviews, but don’t feel i’m missing the point at all. If all you consider is the ability downhill, then why not buy a full on enduro bike? You can have a Strive CF 8.0 that’ll come in cheaper(its on sale right now), lighter and more capable.

The vast majority of the riders climb quite badly enough already without having their suffering enhanced my an unnecessarily heavy bike.

morphio
    Free Member

Canyon are off the list for me this time round. Have a Road and CX bike from them. Great bikes, but not going through the hassle, delays and more hassle again.

lawman91

Don’t think I’d bother with the RS, go for the S or push the boat out and get the C-RS. Just bought a 2017 carbon RS and it looks the tits. The weight really isn’t noticeable and is mainly in the wheels. Change them out on any of the models and you’ll save the best of a pound or two. My large C-RS weighs just over 30lbs with pedals and setup types set up tubeless a change of wheels and carbon bar and it’d be well under 29lbs. Feels great so far as it is though.

morphio
    Free Member

Shame, the 2016 C-RS for the same price as 2017 RS was a mistake. Probably shouldn’t be surprised though!

leftyboy
    Free Member

My 2015 T-130 Works was 13Kg when new before I swapped a few bits about, are the 2017 bikes really a whole 1Kg heavier or is the kit on mine light?

chocolateteapot
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered the t-130rs, I was having the same debate as you, went with my gut feeling! I would end up upgrading bits on the S whereas I’m pretty happy with the setup on the RS

morphio
    Free Member

I have just been extremely bad. It turns out my work owe me the equivalent difference from the S to the C-RS. As this money was unexpected it doesn’t count, and therefore I haven’t spent it.

So I’ve put a deposit down on a C-RS and will go pick it up on Saturday. Oops…

chestrockwell

I’d go for the RS as I much prefer Shimano to SRAM, Hope wheels are ace and I’d have Fox forks/shock over any Rockshox below the Pike. The answer is always going to be very personal but to me it’s worth the extra cash.

Saying that, I’d have ( and did) the 2k 11sp Segment at Sunset MTB over either. 😉

dubber
    Free Member

@ chestrockwell

Out of interest what’s the build kit like for 2k ? Are the forks / brakes etc any good. I always thought Orange bikes seemed over priced but at 2k it looks good value. Don’t think there’s much difference between the 2016 and the 2017 frame from what I can see.

lawman91

Got my first ride in on my new T130 C RS last, it was mega!! :mrgreen: You’ll love it!

chestrockwell

dubber.

Build kit for mine was:

Segment frame with custom colour if available.
    Fox 34 120mm forks.
    2017 Fox DPS shock.
    2017 SLX 11sp rear mech, shifter and cassette.
    Race Face 1x crank and bb.
    Formula hubs on Alex Volar rims with Maxxis 3C Minions.
    Race Face 800mm bar, 40mm stem and seat post.
    Shimano Deore brakes.
    SDG Belair mk2 saddle.

Think that’s about it. Sunset have them listed as the 2016 Pro but if you look at the size options the 11sp upgrade for £75 is offered. You then have to add the 10% discount code and it comes out at just over 2k.

The frame is exactly the same as the 2017. Not bad when you consider the frame only in a custom colour is £1600.

kcshaple
    Free Member

Ive had a 2016 T130 RS (@ 53yo caught again saying “last mtb purchase ever, honest”)and very happy with it altho’ it is heavier than the Canyon Nerve it replaced. Looking to switch to tubeless for 1st time and interested to hear what tyres other T130 owners have switched to. 90% xc (Caesers Camp, Minley) 10% trails (Swinley, Wales)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Looking to switch to tubeless for 1st time and interested to hear what tyres other T130 owners have switched to.

I’m doing that tomorrow morning- bought mine from Leisure Lakes and have £75 in “points” to use in store, so I’m going for Maxxis DHR for the front, and a Highroller ll for the back..*

*until advised otherwise.. 😳

pdV6
    Free Member

Any recommendations for winter tyres that work well on a T130?
    The WTBs on my ’15 are great in the dry but a bit slidey in the wet.
    cheers.

wooderson

I didn’t like the WTB Trial boss on the front – had a tendency to wash out and lacked feel – so the 2.35 Magic Mary (Evo Snakeskin Trailstar flavour) I replaced it with feels like a big improvement. I not noticed any drag – and in any case this that small negative is IMHO outweighed by the confidence the tyre inspires in looser terrain [Surrey Hills].

Currently using a Pacestar Rock Razor on the rear, but a Pacestar 2.35 Hans Dampf will be going on after this final tease of sunny weather.

kcshaple
    Free Member

Having skittered round Swinley on Sat morning, decided enough enough and ordered:-
    Front HRII TR 3C EVO 2.3
    Rear Ardent EXO TR 2.25

Purplebikeshed prewarned for some business coming his way.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Got mine set up Tubeless on Saturday, and went for the following:

Front: Minion DHF 3c Terra Max EXO
    Rear: High Roller 2 EXO

They clearly now need removing, as the logos didn’t line up when they did them… 🙄 😳

But a quick blat around Llangdegla yesterday, and they seemed to be spotty dog.

lawman91

Had my T130C RS for a couple of weeks now, what a bike! Super, super playful and just launches out of compressions and corners, not mega plush suspension wise but that’s not the point of the bike. It’s a fun, interactive ride and climbs like crazy with the X01 Eagle, have cleaned technical (read super steep) climbs I’d have tried and failed before. Wasn’t sure I’d need such a low gear as 34-50 but it’s very nice to have for those really steep and techy bits. Still playing around with the setup a little, have dropped bars a bit since the pictures were taken and still trying to find a real sweetspot for the fork, shock and tyre pressures but it rips already! Highly recommended!

lawman91

BTW tyre wise I’m running the stock High Roller II/Crossmark II combo and for centres and rocky trails it’s great, not a huge amount of braking traction on the rear though! I’ll be changing the rear out at some point I think, possibly for the new Forekaster when they become available.

morphio
    Free Member

Likewise, loving my C-RS, really having fun ripping around on it. Definitely a much better bike than I’m a rider, but I’m enjoying getting better!

Also still on the stock High Roller II/Crossmark II and planning on switching out the rear for something more grippy in the wet and muddy. Maybe a DHR II 3c.

stevextc
    Free Member

My other bike is a Giant XtC advanced … total weight about 2oz… well not quite, but it’s very light and made to climb.
    A month or so ago I hired a Marin from Swinley when I found I had a hole in the brake hose … great bike but it felt heavy the whole ride.

Last weekend I hired a t-130 great bike and it didn’t feel heavy, regardless of what the scales say there is no hill at Swinley where I’d wish to transform it to the Carbon XC bike … I’d guess the XC bike would be faster if I was out to time myself but there isn’t a point where you want get off and walk and I didn’t even feel like changing the forks and suspension to a hard setting… and I’m not super fit … just average.

As for the rest … eats the reds and the off trail runs… and a huge amount of fun … so I ended buying a used one…

ollie
    Free Member

I demo’d the 130 S on sunday, thought it was great, so much so that when I got back to the shop I ordered one and took delivery today. I too mulled over the RS but to be honest after riding the S, I was more than happy with it, Yari fork was great!

pjm7
    Free Member

Any recommendations for winter tyres that work well on a T130?
    The WTBs on my ’15 are great in the dry but a bit slidey in the wet.
    cheers.

I’m using MM on the front and DHR on the back, works for me.

stevextc
    Free Member

I demo’d the 130 S on sunday, thought it was great, so much so that when I got back to the shop I ordered one and took delivery today. I too mulled over the RS but to be honest after riding the S, I was more than happy with it, Yari fork was great!

I have to agree, its a long time since I borrowed, demo’d or hired something and came away feeling I have to have one…

I’ve tried quite a few bikes in various circumstances and many of which I liked but non that felt like it was a must have over a present bike.

It’s certainly built for fun on the UK trails I ride…

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T130 – S or RS?’ is closed to new replies.