Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Whyte T130 S
  • markie111
    Free Member

After reading a few discussions about the new Whyte T130 I thought It would be helpful to share this…
    I have had my T130S for three weeks now after Rockinbikes in Yelverton Devon managed to get me one, looks like it is probably one of the first around so thanks guys ! I have done a couple of hundred miles offroad around Devon on some of the best trails in the area now. This bike is amazing, so easy to ride. It climbs really well, the rear end is firm enough to transmit power but still absorbs rocks/boulders/step ups etc with ease. the Monarch rear shock is also really easy to set up. Down hill 130 mm suspension is plenty for decent sized drop offs/jumps etc and in single track it steers really precisely, steering is spot on and the Rockshox Revelation forks are firm enough to give plenty of confidence, handlebar/stem choice is perfect. The 2/10 gear set up is also spot on, I can climb with confidence steeper/further than on my last hardtail bike, and top gear spins out at about 43 mph on the road, so there is plenty of spread in the ratios. The brakes work great too. So if anyone is thinking about buying one it definately does what the guys at Whyte claim.

ska-49
    Free Member

Great to hear. I’m torn between The T-130, G-150 and the Canyon Spectral 7 EX. Not sure how much travel I need.

What sort of riding do you do? Where will you be using it?

markie111
    Free Member

markie111
    Free Member

Hi I ride for fun and a bit of excercise, I ride a lot of the trails/singletrack around devon. I used to race motox and enduros so wanted something to do with a similar fun/thrill factor. might have a go at a few local MTB events too. I tried the G150 and it seemed to have a bit too much suspension travel for me. Yes I use the full travel of 130 mm on the biggest hits, but setting it up right it absorbs the big impacts well and theres still plenty of control climbing. Where do you ride ? Ps. I have attempted to post some pictures but new to these forums …

lecky94
    Free Member

Been riding my 130s in round the lakes for the past few weeks and i reckon its the best allround bike iv had in 27years of riding..perfect lakes bike.

ska-49
    Free Member

ska-49
    Free Member

Sounds like a good all rounder for the UK. I’ve been a HT rider for years so I imagine any rear travel will be appreciated.
    I’ll be riding trail centers and thinking of entering a some of UKGE next year and possibly some uplift days?

markie111
    Free Member

This is my 1st full suss bike after plenty of hardtails and used to race cross country bmbf etc. yep agree any rear suspension is going to be a big improvement, Whyte seem to have this spot on as it was really easy to get on with straight away and there is a local really rocky climb where this rode it effortlessly.
    I have just entered Mondraker gravity event in Plymouth so will see how I get on there. Definately trying out Afan and a few other trails too.

joat

@ska-49.
    I too have been looking at those choices. The Canyon looks stonking value even by Canyon’s standards. The T130s just looks ‘right’ though.
    Oh what size is yours and you Markie? if it’s not too personal.

granny_ring

OP it’s good to see any real world reviews of bikes on here to help others make the buying decision an easier choice, however as it’s your first full sus and you’re comparing it to a ht it will feel great!

I do like the look of the 130 tho I must say.

richwales

Any comments on the sizing op?

markie111
    Free Member

Hi @SKA-49 Im 5 7 and 1/2 weigh 79 lbs and bike is a medium, the reach is spot on. the bike is a little bit longer than a 26 inch hard tail as to be expected and obviously taller for the extra travel, this makes bike really stable to ride.

granny-ring, cheers for comments its good to get some feedback. I thought I would share as I am genuinely impressed, yes this is my 1st full suss but I do have over 20 years racing many motox bikes so have a bit of past experience that may be worth comparing against. hopefully some feedback shared will help anyone else out there looking for a new bike. and after all everyone is different !

CheesybeanZ

79 lbs @5’7″n half ??? Bike looks great 😀

markie111
    Free Member

Ha maybe thats meant to be 79 kilo ! havnt lost that much weight biking … Cheers cheesybeanz

richwales

Cube stereo 140 is in a similar vein, but not available till January., . I like the idea of these shorter travel trail bikes with a sturdy fork. The canyon spectral has a really short wheelbase which I’m not sure about. The whyte does look spot on.

aroche
    Free Member

“The canyon spectral has a really short wheelbase which I’m not sure about. “
    This years Canyon Spectral is a different beast, Top tube is 17mm longer than last year, making for a nice long, low stable, fast bike.

There is a carbon Spectral coming out soon, that looks like a serious weapon. I’m giving a lot of thought to as an enduro race bike, 150mm pike with 140mm rear CCDB inline, coming at 27 pounds with an aggressive build (wide bars, short stem, 1×11).

dvowles82
    Free Member

The top tube on the size medium is now a respectable 596, but the wheelbase is incredibly short at 1114. Maybe it’s published incorrectly, but assuming it’s correct, that’s almost 6cm shorter than the whyte g150!

brickwizard
    Free Member

Just popped into cycle surgery in Gateshead to view a T130s as I’m down here for a few days with work. Very impressed unfortunately it was a large and didn’t have a medium to have a sit on, have heard the paint chips easily anybody else found this?? How are they for pedal strikes?

aroche
    Free Member

Just looking at the numbers on the wheelbase, and it does look very weird. I’m wondering if there is a mistake too. Last year’s WB was 1137,8, this year its down to 1114, even though the reach/top tube is longer and chainstay is the same.

It doesn’t add up to me.

dpfr

Medium has 1132 mm wheelbase according to this

wiggles
    Free Member

The T130 seems like a really nice bike I opted for the G150 in the end.
    Did cosider the cube but the numbers just seem all wrong, it is shorter has longer chain stays and has a steeper head angle.

dvowles82
    Free Member

Dpfr- was referring to the wheelbase of the canyon spectral al. A burly enduring bike…with a very short wheelbase.

Wizard, I too share your concern about pedal strikes on the t130. Hoping they aren’t too bad.

So stuck for sizing at 5’10”. Gotta wait until mid October until I can even sit on anedium or large. By the way, LBS say works version delayed until mid November due to wheels not being available.

brickwizard
    Free Member

Dvowels 82. I’m also 5 10 but found tha large I looked at a bit too big, I’m in no hurry for one so going to sit back and read some comments about them on st! I’m always frightened I buy the wrong bike

getonyourbike
    Free Member

ska-49 – Member
    Sounds like a good all rounder for the UK. I’ve been a HT rider for years so I imagine any rear travel will be appreciated.
    I’ll be riding trail centers and thinking of entering a some of UKGE next year and possibly some uplift days?

G150 if you’ll be doing that on it. Not for the trail centre, though it will still be fun, but for the UKGEs and uplift days, the 150 would be perfect.

matt_outandabout

. I like the idea of these shorter travel trail bikes with a sturdy fork

I wonder where we saw that before…

richwales

Yep ok it’s not a particularly new idea – didn’t realise the st4 came specced with a 34/36mm stanchion fork direct from orange tho

joat

Bit of an update re. Spectral wheelbase. Aroche was right to question the figures, Canyon’s website has been updated and the wheelbase on the medium has increased to 1153mm, which makes a lot more sense. No need to get my protractor and scale rule out now.

xtc123
    Free Member

Hi
    I am thinking of getting a whyte t130 s but have heard the paint is not great, how easily does it chip? Also does the bike just suck up the trail or want you to play with the trail.

Thanks

z1ppy

ahem.. Whyte’s paint this year doesn’t seem the thickest to me <whistles and walks off>

<wanders back> though really this is a MTB, get it copter taped if your really worried

xtc123
    Free Member

It doesn’t really bother me that much just some people really seem to be over doing about how thin the pain is. Anyway mtb’s are to be used, not stored it in your shed, they are bound to get chipped ect!

z1ppy

I managed to scratch a demo bike 😳 and I literally can not explain when or how, but looking at it the paint layer its definitely not the thickest & a coating of copter tape may well be a sensible choice. Though according to Whytes warranty “The cosmetic finish of the frame, including all paint and graphics is warrantied for a period of one year from date of purchase.”. So if it’s really bad, you could try calling them out on it? (would be difficult to prove?)

markie111
    Free Member

Hi XTC123, maybe the paint could be a bit tougher, my last bike was a cube RFR and the anodised finish was bullit proof so not fair to compare with, I have marked it once but was my own fault and couldnt expect paint survive all impacts.
    The suspension is great, you can pump through singletrack with rear end in the trail settings and jump stuff by preloading the suspension easily, Im now getting used to it and ridden plenty of different trails. id say the suspension is firm enough for me, i weigh around 12 stone and set the sag between 25 to 30 percent and have the rebound most of the way out to quicken it up and it never wallows. Its a really fun bike to ride and geometry is spot on ! hope this helps.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Got me one of those too

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Here’s mine –

I’m 5’10” and the bike is a large. I tried medium and large but preferred the extra length in the top tube.

Sionwms
    Free Member

Had my Orange Five over two years now, it’s brilliant for the terrain here in North Wales… But I fancy a change and T130 looks to be ticking all the boxes!! Really like the spec of the Works model but I just can’t get over the dull grey colour, much prefer both the orange and blue/green coloured frames but then the spec isn’t quite as good those models 🙁

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Yeah I preferred the other colours but the spec I wanted was the grey one. It’s not horrid or anything. I quite like it – but I like the orange one more.

DickBarton

Sorry for the resurrection of this thread…I take it the brakes are internally routed as well, well the rear is?
    Also…can the Works frame take a front mech?

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Rear brake hose is internally routed.

No rear mech fitting on the SCR. It’s single ring specific. The chainstays also wouldn’t give space for additional rings.

DickBarton

Hmm, interesting, thanks.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T130 S’ is closed to new replies.