• This topic has 23 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Whyte T130 or T129
  • jonundercover
    Free Member

Hi,

Can anyone help with decision on Whyte T130 or T129? I want a quick trail bike for mainly trail Centres and long days on Natural trails in South Wales. I’m finding it difficult to find a Demo for these bikes in medium and large, I’m 5’10 and between sizes. I currently have a 2011 stumpy 26 and a Hardtail 29er, I do like the feel of 29 wheels.

I’m looking for a bike similar to the stumpy but more up to date, dont fancy the new stumpys.

Cheers

jruk
    Free Member

In typical STW style (ignore the question, recommend what you ride) – buy an Aeris instead 🙂

jonundercover
    Free Member

Funnily enough I’m looking at Aeris too but cant decide between 120 or 145.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scandal42
    Free Member

I ride a T129 and it rides incredibly.

I don’t find the 29er aspect is a negative in the twisty trail center stuff as the back end is short and snappy. The speed you can achieve is quite frightening.

Ticks all the boxes for me and is ideal for the natural stuff.

legend
    Free Member

Can anyone help with decision on Whyte T130 or T129?

I do like the feel of 29 wheels.

Answered your own question I reckon

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden the t130, but have a t129. It’s excellent. I use it for everything, long xc rides, days in the mountains and riding the techy off piste trails in FOD, South Wales, Shropshire etc.

I would imagine it will suit you better than the t130 as it just carries speed so well compared to smaller wheels, and climbs really well.

It occasionally feels a bit steep, but only on dh type tracks where I should really be riding my 160mm bike.

The only thing I’d like is a longer top tube, slacker head angle and better rear tyre clearance. The 1st two are definitely sorted on tge latest version, and I think the tyre clearance as well.

weeksy

I’ve not ridden the t129, but have a t130. It’s excellent. I use it for everything, long xc rides, days in the mountains and riding the techy off piste trails in FOD, South Wales, BPW etc.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden the t129, but have a t130. It’s excellent. I use it for everything

This..

Love mine.

Poopscoop

Did Whyte sorry out the flexy rear end on the T29?

That was an issue when they first came out from memory?

Sorry, just being nosey.

scandal42
    Free Member

Certainly not a problem here, it’s anything but flexy I would say.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I never notice mine flexing. 2014 frame.

jonundercover
    Free Member

Thanks all good advice

failedengineer

I’ve had my T-129 for over 3 years and still love it. I fitted 140mm Pikes recently, intending to change the travel to 120mm. However, it rides so well I’ve kept it as is.
    Edit – I think that would invalidate the warranty on a new bike …

br
    Free Member

I’m looking for a bike similar to the stumpy but more up to date, dont fancy the new stumpys.[/I]

Camber 29 is probably the equivalent of a T129 and you’ll be able to get a proper sized rear tyre in too 🙂

somouk
    Free Member

I must admit the only fault with the T129 is the lack of rear tyre clearance.

weeksy

T-130 seems to have plenty of that.

jonundercover
    Free Member

The 2017 Model is supposed to have improved tyre clearance.

jruk
    Free Member

@jon – if the 145 is as capable / adaptable as the mk1.5 Aeris, go for that. You won’t be ‘over biked’.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can anyone help with decision on Whyte T130 or T129?

I do like the feel of 29 wheels.

Answered your own question I reckon

That’s what I was thinking.

I was in the same place a couple of years ago, curious about a FS 29er after being impressed by a big-wheeled HT. It wasn’t a disappointment and I think I’ll always have a 29er trail bike now.

leftyboy
    Free Member

2015 T-130 Works here and it’s a great bike, one of my riding buddy has an Aeris and I was impressed enough with Bird (as a company) to buy a Zero TR frame when I needed (wanted) to swap out my HT. I

think the T-129 is also a very competent bike, I’d guess not having ridden one, that the T-129 would be slightly quicker for ‘pure’ XC and slightly slower/compromised for somewhere like BPW. To be fair for me these bikes are all so good that an ‘average’ rider won’t find any of these bikes limits rather it’s about preference and possibly availability.

The-Duke

I’ve had my 2017 T129 RS for a few months now and it’s fantastic, previous bike was a stumpy 29er that had more travel but the Whyte feels more capable thanks to the better geometry. Rear tyre clearance is much improved this year and I’ve been running a 2.3 dhr2 through the mud this year with no issues, the poor tyre clearance on the 2016 was the only reason I didn’t buy one sooner.

Algore
    Free Member

I found the 130 to be incredibly fun and fearless. Loved the descents and challenged me to push my riding further. You can do anything on this bike and I’d happily do an Enduro on one.
    However, I’d probably choose the 129 as I seemed to be faster on it. Most of the time the trails I ride don’t warrant the 130. The 129 covers ground very quickly and ‘flattens’ out trails. It’s more playful than most 29ers.
    I haven’t tried it but reckon it could actually benefit from a longer fork. I found that the 109 mated perfectly to a 120mm fork- it seemed more balanced with a longer fork on front and plush 100mm on rear. So wonder if a 140/150 mm fork would be really fun on the 129.
    Both Whyte’s are superb.

cokie

I had a ’15 T129 SCR Works and loved it. It was my first 29er FS and it fitted like a glove. It just felt right. I covered most disciplines on the bike; marathons, XC races, Uplift days, trail centers and more. Never had an issue with it.

I decided to swap to the T130 RS for a change. Whilst the T129 is marvelous, it can also be a bit cumbersome with the bigger wheels in tight switchbacks. It also monstered down descents and wasn’t that nimble. I just felt that the 650b might make it more playful and fun.

I’m not disappointed at at all, the t130 does everything the T129 does, but with more bias towards descending and playing. I upped the travel to 140mm and am perfectly happy with that.

I’d say T129 for a more XC biased bike, and T130 for more aggressive riding. That said, both are cracking bikes!

mboy
    Free Member

Ridden (and sold quite a few of) both, they’re both incredibly capable and you will have a great time on either.

Tyre clearance is definitely improved on the 2017 model, comes fitted with 2.25″ Maxxis on the back now and a 2.3 will go in no problem. That said, if you like really big tyres and/or still want mud clearance, there’s still more room in the back of the T-130.

For me it’s the T-129 all the way though. The T-130 is the popular model, and the one that wins all the magazine awards, but that’s largely because on the whole, people don’t like 29ers. If you already like 29ers (I do, sounds like you do too) then the T-129 is one of the best (if not the best for the price point certainly) out there. Whilst the T-130 has 10mm more travel (not a big deal) and is arguably slightly easier to flick round the really twisty stuff (but we’re probably clutching at straws here), the T-129 murders it when the trails open up!

Oh, and T-129’s are easier to get hold of cos the T-130’s sell out much faster every time Whyte have stock.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Whyte T130 or T129’ is closed to new replies.