Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Whyte Rough Ride, Kington
  • cajsparky
    Free Member

Signed up for this for the first time and looking forward to it!
    Does anyone have any information on trail conditions after the rain mainly for tyre selection!
    Cheers

bikeneil
    Free Member

I would imagine if it’s been raining then the route will probably be wet. I’m no expert though. So, some sort of tyre that would work in mostly wet but a little dry conditions would be ok i’d have thought. Hope that helps :mrgreen:

cajsparky
    Free Member

Well done bikeneil left myself wide open for that reply 😆
    Suppose what I should have asked is what kind of terrain is it and how does it handle the weather?

bikeneil
    Free Member

You’re welcome ;o)

Last time i did it, it was just mile upon mile of wet moorland grass fields with a little bit of road thrown in. I know a lot enjoy it, but it really wasn’t for me. I would say a light tyre that clears mud well, that isn’t too draggy would be spot on. I don’t think it’s the sort of route that will test you or a tyre to be honest.

cajsparky
    Free Member

Cheers Bikeneil,
    Inlaws have dragged and perched their caravan in Kington last couple of years so got to hear of it that way! Guessing its a big climb, big descent, big climb, big descent etc. affair!!!

blastit
    Free Member

not too techinical lots of grassey climbs.
    if it were me R/Ralph on back and Nobby nic or R/Ralph front depending how safe/fast you want to be

cajsparky
    Free Member

Cheers blastit

coatesy
    Free Member

Did it year before last in horrendous conditions, i’d recommend something with a decent tread considering what we’ve had over the last week as it has a surface like a skating rink in some places, and stick and bboggy in others(a really nice ride in the dry a year earlier though).Make sure you take good waterproofs in case the weather turns bad too, it’s very exposed for a lot of the route(think it was about 30 cases of hypothermia in 2012, including my riding buddy).

senorj

I did the 2012 one . 🙁
    It was very wet&cold and I think I used crossmarks or something normal.
    I didn’t die.But very nearly froze.

br
    Free Member

Fast rolling but something on the front with grip for those fast descents.

I’ve done it a few times, and really enjoyed the remote-ness you get when out on the big hills.

Also did the 2012 one with senorj ^; that was pretty much the toughest event (for summer) I’d done in a long while.

DanW
    Free Member

I’ve done this before and have to echo what the other have said with regards to picking a tyre you’ll be confident climbing and descending grassy and muddy trails. When I’ve done it before the rocks were minimal, no roots I can remember so pick something for greasy condtions you don’t mind pedaling for a few hours 😀 Oh, and it will likely be chilly on top so don’t be tempted to underdress!

Guessing its a big climb, big descent, big climb, big descent etc.

It feels more like “big climb, big climb, big climb, big descent…” good physical challenge with great organisation and a very chilled feel. I really enjoyed it, but sadly can’t ride this year so have a spare entry going if anyone wants it?

cajsparky
    Free Member

Cheers Guys, Much appreciated!!!

spence
    Free Member

It was 2007 (blue mud sweat and gears t shirt) the last time I did this and can’t remember what I rode, is it a 26 full sus or 29 HT type of ride?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Whyte Rough Ride, Kington’ is closed to new replies.