Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Whyte G150S or Commencal V4. Can't decide! Help
  • toomba
    Free Member

I’m terrible at making decisions and can’t demo the v4, whats best for all round from endure to days out. In the hills?
    Need to decide asp as I’m without a bike at the moment

toomba
    Free Member

It would be the commercial meta V4 race both bikes around same price, Whyte available at dealers fairly close to me

integral
    Free Member

I’ve got a G150, given it a good thrashing here in the French Pyrenees. Bloody great bike. Having the bike available locally would seal the deal for me. You can see it, sit on it, do some bouncing in the carpark. Dealer backup with any issues and support your LBS. I’m guessing the Whyte will be cheaper. Can’t see any upside to the Commy personally.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    toomba
    Free Member

Integral how do you find it on the climbs?

wiggles
    Free Member

Bit biased but I would definitely say the whyte, I did…

Great bike, good kit and you can buy it from a shop.

Also as another point, I work for a whyte dealer and had someone bring in a 5 year old frame today with a crack, they will have a new frame Monday, whyte are superb with warranty stuff.

If you are after a medium then get in touch as mine is up for sale…

toomba
    Free Member

Thanks wiggles but looking to buy new, was tempted by the guy in classifieds selling a 7 week old works model recently!
    Any word on Whyte bringing the 2016 ones out? I would wait but sold old bike last week

chrisdavids

Have had a G150s for 6 months and really enjoy riding it. Uphill it is better than expected, downhill it is a much better bike than I will ever be a rider. It is used 3 times a week in the lakes. The low bottom bracket takes some getting used to to avoid pedal strikes when peddling.

euans2
    Free Member

The Commencal is cheaper, lighter, has a better spec and IMO it looks better than the G150S. It climbs very well and as is a blast coming down, it’s a bike that just makes you smile and push that little bit more.

The only downside to the Commencal is it has no LBS support but then again I would hate to have to pay someone else to service a mountain bike.

wiggles
    Free Member

no all hush hush on new models until they are ready…

Yeah no problem I understand why you want new.

toomba
    Free Member

Euans2 what colour did you go for? Yellow one looks better in the flesh saw it at ews recently

euans2
    Free Member

Toomba, mines is the Black one

I used to have a Yellow Meta SX but decided to go a bit more discreet with this bike

z1ppy

Whytes rep is pretty handy getting demo bikes out to dealers, if you have a word with your LBS.. Would help make the decision

hora
    Free Member

Im a serial frame swapper.

I own a V4.

You can buy mine in 2016 or 2017 if you can wait OP?

How about the Orbea?

toomba
    Free Member

The V4 certainly looks the part, how do they climb? Read some testers felt seat angle was a little slack.
    Need to decide today

hora
    Free Member

It is abit slack but climbs fantastic.

Also the chaos is unleashed when the rig is pointed south down rock strewn sinewy slabs of trail (etc)

toomba
    Free Member

It’s great to hear all your thoughts on this,
    I’m finding it hard to decide and don’t want to get it wrong but suppose they are both good bikes.

hora
    Free Member

If you like low bikes (I find it low, tried another stw’ers before my own its spot on. I would hesitate on getting a BOS shock- Im struggling to like mine and will probably swap out for RS.

You instantly feel at home on it and you feel ‘in/part of the bike’ rather than ‘on’. All IMO.

Never liked Whyte personally.

Dont forget a alu YT Capra is circa 2100 for the full bike too.

toomba
    Free Member

The meta v4 has internal cable rotting, what set up does the Whyte have? I know the reverb is internal

wiggles
    Free Member

whyte is full internal routing.

hora
    Free Member

Dont buy a V4. I like it rare/niche. Its a nice thought.

toomba
    Free Member

Hora is that Don’t buy a V4? Or don’t buy a Whyte? Only had one full suss bike and that was a stumpjumper so never tried a low bike!

mark_rich
    Free Member

Hora, what bos shock are u running vipr or a kirk?
    Been considering a v4 with bos devilles and kirk but wondering if just to go for the rs stuff and save some money.
    Cheers.

ryan91
    Free Member

Demo the Whyte, and see if somebody would be willing to let you try their Commencal out. Failing that, visuals or toss of a coin.

integral
    Free Member

In my experience the Whyte goes uphill pretty well for a 30 something pound bike, I access some of the climbs here on the road, up to 1000m climbing, that all happens with the suspension locked out. On trail climbing the Whyte is the best 6 inch bike I have used, the rear suspension gobbles up the terrain as long as you can keep the pedals turning. There is zero feedback through the chain which is something that I’ve disliked about previous bikes. The front end stays really planted as things get steeper without having to shift your scrotum right over the nose of the saddle, I guess its a combo of the long top tube and wheelbase. I have made a few personal mods to the G150S. Bought over my cockpit from the previous bike, a Syntace 30mm stem, easton haven carbon bars. I have also fitted X0 cranks with a 28T direct mount ring to keep spinning up the climbs. I have also fitted a Hans Dampf up front and a Rock Razor in behind that I have mounted tubeless. the wheels that came on the bike were already taped and supplied with tubeless valves which was a nice touch. I’m guessing the bike weighs in about 28 pounds now and I’m gonna ride it until stuff breaks, the only components that I have some doubts about are the wheels. I’m not sure what brand the hubs are and what the availability of freehubs is like but I’ll cross that bridge if I get to it, the wheels are perfect for now. I’m hoping to get a good few summers out of this rig, our Gondola opens next weekend so the bike will be getting a beating over the next 10 weeks but I’m confident it’s up for it!

toomba
    Free Member

Integral thanks for that, sounds like you love your G150! Was the lowest front ring you could go with the standard scram cranks a 30t? Also are the standard bars 35mm?

integral
    Free Member

Yeah 30T on the standard cranks, the 28T is super low but it gives me a bail out option to sit and spin on long steep climbs, still a reasonable amount of range with the 10T rear. Factory bar and stem on the G150S are 31.8. I replaced them with my preferred 31.8 cockpit and dropped almost 300 grams of weight.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

My G-150 Works is both my DH bike and XC bike. Oh, and my enduro race bike. Bloody love the thing.

integral
    Free Member

and?……….

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It’s a very capable bike that can do what the OP is asking for and more, and I’m putting in a recommendation for it, just like everybody else recommending their own bike in almost every STW bike advice thread ever.

integral
    Free Member

Sorry, the and?…………, was directed at the OP. I was interested in the outcome.

brickwizard
    Free Member

toomba
    Free Member

Well I am now the owner of a G150s Healthy discount and good service from bike shop swung the deal,
    Looking forward to getting out on it and hope the 1×11 works out ok.
    Thanks guys for all your help and advice

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have a 2014 G150 that I have 1X10ed (11-42 & 32) and I’ve found the gearing fine both on the local South Downs and down in Spain. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how good the bike is for all round riding considering it’s weigh n all. I think you are going to be really happy with it 🙂

integral
    Free Member

Sweet, nice to keep your money local, it keeps people in jobs, and support a brand that puts money back into the Uk cycling scene.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

integral – Member
    Sorry, the and?…………, was directed at the OP. I was interested in the outcome.

Sorry chap.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I think you’ll be a very happy man when you take it for a spin.

toomba
    Free Member

I hope so! Took a bit of time to decide and almost went for another stump jumper!! But hey ho time for change, Just been applying helicopter tape to protect some vulnerable areas.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Whyte G150S or Commencal V4. Can't decide! Help’ is closed to new replies.