Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 348 total)
  • Whyte G150 or Orange 5?
  • wiggles
    Free Member

I wasn’t trying to be annoying just didn’t want you getting your hopes up when there is very little chance it will be before then.

I’ve already bought the bars and stem for mine and just choosing pedals… waiting for a bike can be expensive!

leftyboy
    Free Member

@wiggles Not taken your updates as annoying! Just frustrated as I wanted to get some time in on a new bike before my knee op and when I pre-ordered it looked like the Works would arrive first! Always painful waiting on a new bike! Have always bought frames and built up myself or bought an end of season bargain so this is my first wait for a new model! Whoever said patience was a virtue had never waited for a new bike! 🙂

leftyboy
    Free Member

@Wiggles popped into my LBS now saying 3 weeks and 2 days so 25th of September looks like a possibility. I’ll just have the knee op, put my feet up (sorry) and wait 🙂

leftyboy
    Free Member

T-130S and T-130SX looked very nice in the LBS, roll on September and the Works models 🙂

lecky94
    Free Member

So after a week of riding my T130s im finding out its strengths and weaknesses, finding the paint chips really easy so heli tape it from new,the wtb tyres are great in the dry and smooth stuff but show them a wet n rocky lakeland down hill and there crap,watch out for the front mech cable rubbing on the swing arm when its compressed, seems the cable clip is not tucked back a enough,easy sorted by zipting it futher round the seat tube. plus the gear outer on the bb shell rubs in the clip,but doesnt really need to be hooked into that. Just thought id give you guys a heads up before you hit the trails on those long awaited steeds..Other than that its f*cking awsome..

dvowles82
    Free Member

It seems that numbers/geometry can be deceptive.

I sat on the ‘Small’ Whyte T130 S that Bike UK have in stock today. I was expecting it to feel markedly too small (I am 5’10”), especially as the size chart recommends it for 5’2” – 5’6” heights. But to my surprise, it felt only ‘’just’’ too small, even with the shorter, 60mm stem specced on the small version. So while I was agonising between a large and a medium, it seems that at 5’10”, the Medium should be spot on. I may even be able to get away with a 60mm stem on the medium, which would be great. Bike does feel on the heavy side, but the frame is top quality, looks really sturdy – the rear triangle is a lot more sturdy/attractive looking than on last year’s T129 for instance.

Put deposit down on a medium, expecting delivery in early October :\

lecky94
    Free Member

Im 5’8 and the med fits a treat, the tt on the large is nearly 2cm longer which felt way to stretched out yet the standover was still ok. I havent felt the need to change anything from stock as it felt well balanced going up and down.the bike is a fare bit heavier than i thought but doesnt feel heavy whilst riding it.

lecky94
    Free Member

Plus if anyone is looking for a med s i think wheelbase have got one in stock and a sx in the small if it helps anyone looking.

leftyboy
    Free Member

Knee op done and feels OK. Just need to take it gently until the new bike arrives! 🙂

leftyboy
    Free Member

Double post!

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

good luck Lefty hope it heals in time for ya

leftyboy
    Free Member

So no pain in knee after op, tear was much longer than expected but all good now. 2 weeks off the bike and then turbo for 2 weeks then hopefully back to normal riding. Just hope my T-130 Works is here by then!

wiggles
    Free Member

Surprised at people thinking they are coming up big. Had a little pedal on the T130S in med and if anything thought it felt quite short when standing… Im only 5′ 8″ so medium should be bang on but interested to try a large.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I had a quick go on a new G150 works last night, large felt good in the frame for me at 5’10” (and a half!), I was amazed how well it pedalled uphill when seated – the guy behind thought it was locked out as it wasn’t bobbing (it was fully open). I couldn’t feel any frame flex mashing a big gear either. Didn’t get to test it on any decent downhills though.

I’m very keen to get a go on a T130 SCR… (G150 is too much bike for my riding!)

dvowles82
    Free Member

Ah, this is disappointing. I had hoped that a medium T130 would be just right for my 5’10 height. Seems that I am between a medium and large after all (although not tried either, as both not in stock yet).

People who have actually got a T130 – what do you think of the sizing relative to your height?

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Given that the T130 top tube is 20mm shorter than the G150 and the one I rode had silly wide bars on it (which will make it feel even longer I guess) I would put me firmly on a large at that height.

hammeroftheeast
    Free Member

i was measured up for the T-130 Works and at 6ft was told the large would be best

richwales

I tried the car park test on a t130 med and found it rideable but a bit small at 5’10.5 As there isn’t a huge jump to the large id be buying that – if I’m between sizes I prefer to size up on shorter travel and size down on longer travel bikes. The bottom bracket seems fairly low – are pedal strikes a big issue? I’m stuck between the g150s and t130works if I go with whyte. Following my post up there ^ do the bikes have a snappy feel, launch off roots etc or do they just suck up everything and are hard to get off the ground.
    Cheers

leftyboy
    Free Member

OK now a bit worried that the med I’ve reserved might be the wrong size as I’m 5′ 10″. When they come in I’ll try both but a car park test is always a bit deceptive. Hopefully it’ll be obvious as dropping £3k on a bike that doesn’t fit wouldn’t be ideal 🙂

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

To be honest, the only difference between M and L is 1cm in top tube length and wheelbase (unless you run the stem completely slammed on the medium, in which case the large will have higher bars as the head tube is longer). Also watch out on the large that you can run the Reverb at the right height, having sat on a medium today and set up the seatpost, I figure that I’ll only have 1cm to the reverb collar on the large frame. And thats with the seat in a nice high XC race type position when fully extended.

dvowles82
    Free Member

Went into bike shop again today for an update on the delivery date of the T130 in medium…been put back again until 10th October. No surprises there. However, they did, amazingly have a G150 S in medium sitting there, looking all pretty.

I sat on it (putting a big rip in my work trousers in the process). It felt spot on size wise for my 5’10 height. Nice and roomy. Given the 20mm longer stem on the T130, I just can’t see the size large being appropriate. Anyway, going to have a quick spin up the road on it after work. Because it’s available right now, I am so so tempted.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

But… The Medium G150 is the same in top tube length to the Large T130.

dvowles82
    Free Member

Yeah, but with a 20mm shorter stem.

dvowles82
    Free Member

G150 felt good on the roads near to shop. Bike climbed well, the sram 1×11 drive train was perfect. The guide brakes felt lovely. Not much pedal Bob and suspension going off curbs etc felt good. This said, it definitely feels like a long bike, and with that slack head angle, it takes a long arc around corners. I guess that’s the trade off for stability though.

Sizing wise, the medium felt perfect, definitely wouldn’t want to go any bigger.

Just really torn between this and the t130. The T130 is probably the sensible choice, but the G150 sure is tempting, with its wild side.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

You will get used to the longer wheelbase fairly quickly. But I think you’d be happy with either if I’m being perfectly honest. They’re both really fun bikes to ride, just in slightly different ways.

whytenite
    Free Member

Since I ordered a t-130 Works. I have been hungry for reviews and have been following your comments closely.
    My present Bike is a Whyte T120- 2012.
    I have been seriously trail riding only since newly acquiring this machine.
    I have twice injured myself over the handlebars on the downhills (just sprains and bruises) some of it attributed to skill level issues and error;
    But a portion can be laid at the bike being a size too big.
    I am 5’10.5 tall but; I have long torso, short legs making me top heavy. The large bike frame mis-sold to me, limits the amount of seat post drop.
    On ordering my new T-130 from LBS, I was lucky enough to try a new large framed t-130s that was available, and I knew straight away, the frame was definitely too big for my 31″ inside leg; the 125mm reverb seat- post tells no lies.
    Get yourself measured properly or try a few size if in doubt!
    For me, I am pretty certain the medium frame on 650b wheel and a slacker head, is going to be for me, a revelation;
    Safer, better, Particularly with the great spec.. Can’t wait.

wiggles
    Free Member

Still have t130 works on order but after riding a few longer TT’d bikes recently I think I might go for a G150s instead.

Although I am due to do a specialized demo day and ride the 650b/29er stumpjumpers and enduros soon…

dvowles82
    Free Member

Getonyourbike – cheers for that. I know I only tried it on the road (both up and down), but even leaning it right over, the turning arc felt soo slow compared to my hardtail. I appreciate I’d get used to it, but is it actually possible to do tighter, more snappy turns, without sliding out the back wheel?

Also, as someone else asked above, does the G150 have a poppy feel or is it more towards the ‘soak it all up’ end of the spectrum?

Thanks

ska-49
    Free Member

Popped into the LBS after work and they had a T130 S on display. Stunning bike! So much attention to detail and the spec is brilliant value for money. Tempted by the t130 works or g150 s.. Can’t test ride either though.

leftyboy
    Free Member

T-130 Works seems to have an amazing spec hence pre-ordering one, problem is Whyte can’t ship them because of parts issues.. Poorer spec, but I’m sure excellent, bikes lower in the range are shipping.

Frustrating!

rickon
    Free Member

I have been seriously trail riding

wiggles
    Free Member

I now have a g150s!
    Just felt better size for me than the t130

dvowles82
    Free Member

Wiggles- good stuff. Agreed regarding sizibg, medium felt great at 5″10, nice and roomy. Rude report when you’ve taken it out!

wiggles
    Free Member

Just finished building mine, swapped bars and stem for easton haven 40mm stem and haven carbon 35mm bars and fitted my preferred specialized saddle.

leftyboy
    Free Member

@wiggles very nice!

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

To those asking about T-130 sizing – I’m 5’10” & running a medium, feels fine fit wise…

leftyboy
    Free Member

@PrinceJohn excellent my T-130 Works is a medium when it arrives!

wiggles
    Free Member

I’m only 5’8″ but must be a weird shape as felt the T130 was to short in the TT, the G150 is longer (near enough as long in a medium as the T130 is in large)

integral
    Free Member

What does she weigh in at wiggles? I am also looking at the G150S, what is the wheel set quality like? The wheels are the only components that have me worried on the 150S build. Does the rear hub appear to be of reasonable quality? Does anybody know who the manufacturer is? I’m a little worried about the availability of freehubs. Also what do you think of the guide brakes?

Thanks in advance

wiggles
    Free Member

Weighs in around 31lbs (with pedals on a calibrated park scales) so out of the box it would have been over 32lbs without changing the bars and saddle etc, also it came set up tubeless which is unusual but saved me a job!

Wheels seem decent they have been used on most of their models for a few years and I can’t recall any customers bringing any back to the shop with issues to be honest.

Guide brakes seem nice have a much nicer lever feel than avids ever did but not tested in anger yet.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 348 total)

The topic ‘Whyte G150 or Orange 5?’ is closed to new replies.