Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Whyte E5 with 140-150mm fork?
  • allmountain76
    Free Member

I am thinking about changing the fork on my Whyte E5 (SC32) to something with a bit more travel. I ride over the fork a lot and the SC32 doesnt seem to be able to match the back end for performance. I was thinking of RC41 Fighter but the axle to crown is an inch longer than the SC32. Is there a way of calculating the head angle with this increase as i was never any good at geometry!

I dont mind slacking it out a bit especially with the travel adjust on the Pace but dont want to go too far and end up ripping the head tube off the frame. The other option is an XCAM or an older Fox 32 (130mm) but i dont think i will gain much. I have always run longer forks (FR Heckler with 66's etc) and i think this is why i have such a freaky riding style now but i am too old to ride properly and need to find a bandaid solution!

whytetrash

Just put a DT Swiss 130m XCM on mine…massive improvement, don't think going longer would suit the frame as it is noticably slacker with this one fitted…CRC had them half price…bargain

Saw a guy at Penmachno with pikes on his mind and he thought it was great..

allmountain76
    Free Member

Mmm, seen a few xcam's for sale that would be ok but i like the idea of slacking it out a bit. The general consensus on MTBR seems to be 1 inch to 1 degree so with the fighters on it would be down to 70 degrees from 71. This sounds ok to me. With something like Revelations it would be about 70.5 – shouldnt notice much difference at that.

Maybe i should have gone for an attack trail or something intended for 140mm forks but hey, i like the light weight and with travel adjust i can run the head angle as it is now if needs be.

Lets see what comes up for sale!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    The-Badger
    Free Member

Proceed with Caution. I think the E-5 is ok up to 120m of travel, more than that and it not only the head angle thats relaxed, you will also kick back the seat angle putting more weight on the rear – to compinsate you might push the seat forward on the rails – and effectively shortening the top tube. BB will also be raised by about 1/2 the diffrence in travel. You are right though – the frame performed better than the fork – personally I'd replace the fork with a 120mm Reba.

allmountain76
    Free Member

mmm, its the axle to crown height that affects the geo. The maverick is 496mm, the Manitou Minute 140mm is 505mm, the RS Revelation 140mm is 510mm. The only one in my list thats a bit long is the Pace Fighter at 524mm. I cant see 9-14mm extra axle to crown making a massive difference – less than 1/2 a degree off the head and seat angle and max 10mm on the bb? Even a full degree off and 15mm on the bb wouldnt be over the top for me with the fighter but then i think the fork would out perform the rear. Like i said, slacking it out a bit is no bad thing for me as i do more all day lakes / trail centre stuff kind of endure the climbs for the descent or single track. Plus all the forks i am looking at have travel adjust.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Whyte E5 with 140-150mm fork?’ is closed to new replies.