Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Whyte bike not selling….
  • astura
    Free Member

Put a Whyte 905 bike up on eBay and in the classifieds section,, but still not getting any interest,, I wondering if I’m pricing it to high,, but I have only had it 6 months from new and I have already knocked £450 quid off what I paid for it.

At £700 am I pricing this to high,, I don’t really want to let it go for less than this but I’m moving house and could do with the space/money.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Why is it a 2010 frame and 2011 parts?

mildred

My opinion is as follows:

In my experience Large frames/bikes are harder to sell than medium.

You need to clean it to within an inch of its life. Ok, it’s a mountain bike and has scars to prove it, but ask yourself this – if it was a car you were selling would you clean it? People don’t want to buy a mud encrusted bike. Some folk have and regretted when they clean it to find all kind of nasties lurking beneath.

It’s fairly well used – that’s fine, but your pricing is perhaps a touch high based on the general condition.

This is just my two-penneth, but I’ve bought and sold a lot on here and have learnt through bitter experience.

bonchance
    Free Member

interesting was recently in the market for a 2012

change of plan so no longer.

But I might have stumped up £550-600 for used 2010 chimera from ATB – if that’s any help.

More would have been too rich for me – but that’s just value=deal judgement by me personally.

Sure somebody will take it soon though..

£700ono seems good starting point, but 600 would prolly shift it – good luck 🙂

PrinceJohn

No photos in the ad, people often casually see something & think I’ll have that…

j40aja
    Free Member

I went through the same thing recently and ended up splitting the bike.

As you my frame was on the large size so a limited market but you need to really work on your advert. Good quality pictures and plenty of them, clear spec and a few details on use and service history.
    Your price is maybe on the high side but I usually price parts with the expectation to be knocked down a bit.
    There are loads of deals on new bikes at the moment with the German sites offering excellent VFM and the likes of Paul’s Cycles selling off previous year’s models vastly reduced.

You might need to work out the least you would accept for the bike and adjust your price accordingly rather than what you think it’s worth or split as it will be worth more as parts and easier to sell.

loddrik
    Free Member

itll sell if you price it right, simple as that.

muddyman
    Free Member

Ive seen buy it now listings on ebay that get relisted several times, at the same price, and eventually sell .I guess you only need one person looking for that size / style to be looking when you happen to be listing and youve sold your bike !! Dont be put off just yet especially as with the sun coming out after so much rain most people are probably out enjoying it rather than buying bits on ebay !!
    Maybe try polishing her up and looking at other peoples listings to see where yours could be improved before dropping the price .

13thfloormonk

Weird, I had trouble shifting my large 905, older than yours but in good condition. I eventually got £700 posted but it took a while. I put up lots of photos, made sure they were good photos too i.e. well lit and showing the kit off well.

My take is that it just isn’t a very exciting bike on paper, despite how exciting a bike it was to ride. Also, maybe people don’t realise that a Whyte large is closer to other manufacturer’s mediums, I guess you could call it somewhere inbetween the sizes.

carbon337
    Free Member

In my experience, clean it very very well tyres the lot, photograph everything – set an album up in flikr share the link.

Get a decent camera dslr etc – good background – normally a garage door is good.

First impressions count the most, price second.

Ive just sold my ornage five for more than others on here following my own tips above.

astura
    Free Member

Thanks for this – will get some better pictures added & try again

bigbloke
    Free Member

As above really really clean it, take good in depth pics from differing angles and a good description on parts etc a pic of instructions/receipt help too.

At £700 i think that is realistic as i believe these were from ATB and priced at £1079 new plus that was below true cost of bike/parts anyway more like £1500-£1800 worth.

reedspeed
    Free Member

The rough rule of thumb is, if the phone aint ringing,its too dear !!,& thats the same for anything,but as previousley mentioned,people also wanna see it,& see it clean,so if its filthy they wont buy it,i certainley wouldn’t,& most of us are creatures of habit !,it gives off the wrong vibe..

astura
    Free Member

Right, took some better photos today, camera not the best but better than before, hopefully this will get more response.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think the general rule of thumb is half the new price -10% for every year or something like that. I dont think the Whyte is a very desirable bike, especially since its just a standard spec, so you may be pricing too high?

Ive seen Cotic Souls and other such desirables for sale on here for less than £700.

astura
    Free Member

It is a beautiful bike, feels so good to ride and if these bike arent classed as desirable they should be. I know the spec on this model is higher than a standard whyte 905 as it was custom built by Atb, replaced rock shox with fox forks, elixir brakes instead of juicy 5, and xt drivetrain instead of Slx. I just hope somebody does want it,it’s a shame to have it just sit in the garage.

j40aja
    Free Member

Might be worth pointing out in the advert what you’ve just posted about what parts are over and above the standard spec for the 905!
    Execting buyers to know or check what the standard spec is compared to yours is a bit of an assumption.

shortcut

It is also worth confirming whether it is 9 or 10 speed (9 is now less desierable). If you can pack it and post it you immediately increase your number of prospective buyers – go to a bike shop and blag a bike box, you can buy couriering on eBay for about £10 to £15.

Also the price is quite high for this forum where a lot of people are after ‘dead cheap’.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

it also may be worth looking into stripping it.

each individual part will be more sort after than a full build. Put an estimated price against each item and work out if that ends up more than £700

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Collection-only really narrows down your range of potential buyers, which is already narrowed by the (large) frame size.
    First impressions – the photo of the whole bike, why is the seat so low? Looks very odd.

IHN

If you do think of stripping it, and it’s 9spd, I could be tempted by the crank and BB

astura
    Free Member

The seat is down due to it coming in and out of my car. Also reduce the seat height depending what riding I’m doing

wrecker
    Free Member

When it comes down to it, there’s ONE reason why something doesn’t sell.
    Am I right in thinking this was ex-demo from ATB?

astura
    Free Member

It wasn’t ex demo, it was a new build

bigbloke
    Free Member

Yes new build as my friend bought one too, genuine product.

Edric64
    Free Member

It looks quite tatty as well regardless of age so maybe thats why you have no takers,looks way older than a few months and not looked after with all those marks on the frame and crank

astura
    Free Member

Its just been used, I have big feet so rubbing the crank arms and the frame was always going to be a given, i agree with the chain rattle bit dissapointed with that. But still doesn’t effect performance of bike, even saying that i still think the price im selling at is a good price. Offers around 700. Just needed to promote the bike better

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

i still think the price im selling at is a good price.

That could be your problem!

13thfloormonk

Couple of points

1) Put the seat up, definitely. Seat down looks daft and reminds me of when I was a kid trying to ride DH and freeride on my XC bike, which would DEFINITELY put me off a 2nd hand bike.

2) This might get me flamed a bit, but I wouldn’t mention what YOU paid. It should be about what the bike is worth. New 905s retail at £1600ish and yours has arguably similar or better spec. Saying you paid £1149 sort of suggests the bike was only worth that new which isn’t necessarily the case.

3) Some bugger (i.e. me) hasn’t long since saturated the classifieds with for sale ads for a 905, and I didn’t get many bites either. Had more success on Gumtree.

4) Link it to the bikeradar review. Depending on the buyer this may or may not be a credible source, but the review highlighted some of the best charateritics of the bike and might make it more appealing to the buyers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We are in a recession, people are tightening their purse strings.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Whyte bike not selling….’ is closed to new replies.