Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Whyte 929
  • mboy
    Free Member

Anyone ridden one?

It looks the mutts nuts!

Looks like they’ve taken the lead from the Specialized Stumpjumper EVO and taken it to the next level! Slacker head angle, 120mm Fox 34’s, 1×10, XT kit including brakes and big rotors, low BB height, short (adjustable) chainstays. Only thing is it’s a bit long in the TT, but suppose you compensate for that with a shorter stem, and possibly going down to a small where you might normally ride a medium (Whytes always seem to come up BIG for their size anyway in my experience).

So anyone been on one yet?

ska-49
    Free Member

Funnily enough I was checking that out earlier!
    Its very nice. Really like the build BUT its disappointing that its not carbon. Especially for that price. £2000 !

mboy
    Free Member

£2k is a fair chunk, but to get a carbon frame on a £2k hardtail these days you’re going to suffer somewhat in the componentry, and more than likely it’s going to be a cheap grade carbon frame. Also, given the hardcore intentions of the 929, personally I think it wouldn’t be right to make it out of carbon. Steel would also have been good (but heavier obviously), but I think the Hydroformed ally frame still looks bloody awesome!

SERIOUSLY want a go on one anyway, looks like it’ll be an absolute hoot to ride!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ska-49
    Free Member

Agreed with what you said completely! I almost thought it was carbon at first. I guess ive just been looking for a hardcore carbon 29er HT. Nothing seems to exist.. I’d like this in carbon or something like the chameleon in carbon.

mboy
    Free Member

I’d like this in carbon or something like the chameleon in carbon.

Santa Cruz do the Hi Ball in carbon! I’d take a look at that if that’s what you’re after… Be very dear though, and a Whyte 29C would probably be better VFM as an overall package.

Anyone else any experience yet of the 929?

Cheezpleez

So, has anyone ridden one of these yet?

Everything about it seems right. Shame they don’t do a frame only option.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

According to their website:

Fork: Fox 32 F29 CTD FIT Performance, 120mm, Tapered Steerer.

Sadly not the 34’s as mentioned above 🙁

Cheezpleez

Yes but still v. interesting geometry and pretty decent spec, albeit a bit pricey.

Has no one on here ridden one? Do they even exist?

z1ppy

Yes I have one, had it since January, there was only a very limited run apparently. I had the last but one medium to be ‘allocated’, but they are only a small company. My new bike thread with some pictures.

What’s it like… Dunno, only ‘just’ got dry trails locally, so am just getting to learn to ride it fast 😀
    Though it happily dealt with the crap this year has thrown at us until now, which honestly was my main reason to buy it.
    I’ve used it in the mid 1146mm chain stay length until lately, in mainly crap/gloppy/snow conditions. Felt very stable, happy to do any long haul XC stuff, but still holding lines I wouldn’t have tried on my inbred 26er.
    The other week I shortened it up to the 1136mm setting, & was suprisingly put out by the change. The single ride it lasted was bizarre & not a happy experience tbh.. It was on a horribly fast XC run, with roadie friend (?) & probably not the best of tests. So I bulked, pushed it back, but only to the 1141mm setting (going by the whyte spec’s & the 5 bolt hole options, I haven’t had the measuring tape out). It’s surprised me how obvious even these small length changes have made themselves. Now it’s definitely not as XC long feeling, & the backend is up to some interestly zippy (sorry) stuff.. I am still toying with extending it again, as it felt more of a mile muncher. i’m holding out for now, as I know I will have to try the short setting again. Front end wise I’m happy with the geo, I like a more a relaxed front tbh, but am no gnarr DH god. The guys I ride with say I’m as fast downhill, as my FSer, but it still early days, & TBH I want to get my FS bike back out (that’s got a wobbly rear wheel I just found) but am really happy playing with the 929. If anything it’s my lack of experience with long term HT use of any type holding me back, as I love my full sussers.
    I’ll not go on about it, but I don’t like 1×10 it sucks.
    Need a new job & some proper gears.

I’ve not tried anything to compare it with 29er wise (yelli,bigwig,hi-lat), but I’m very happy with it, oh nothing fallen off or broken, though it seems the seat post keeps slipping down annoyingly

Muzzy
    Free Member

I have a large one – it appeared on Leisure Lakes last month after being told they were sold out. Love the bike and like the 1X10 I have to say.

Z1ppy – where did you get the info on the chainstay lengths? I got nothing like that in the generic manual that came with the bike. I much prefer the chainstay in its shortest setting, but had to lose one of the lower 3 bolts to achieve it.

z1ppy

Muzzy, I’m going by the whyte geometry which quotes the chain stays as 425-445 guessing at the measurements of the different mounting points (5 possible positions). Have to say the 1×10 is better now I have some grip but still want a granny 😯

http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product.php?xProd=32&xSec=49

Muzzy
    Free Member

Ok cheers. Fair point about grip – trails are currently drier than at any point since last May! Fingers crossed it continues.

z1ppy

Tbh I surprised one appeared, they all seemed ‘allocated’ to shops, on per-orders from customers (I phoned 7 local dealers, to try the sizing, & none had any in stock or was expecting one back in Jan). Must have been a really small run, though I know a local shop sold one & the rep begged/stole the demo/photoshoot one

z1ppy

Well bugger me backwards, I can’t believe anyone still has one in stock… I’m not associated with the shop but Muddybums are selling a medium one of these on fleabay.
    Won’t make it too easy by linking but Item #: 261318151755 for £1799 buy it now…
    Maybe not the bargain of the century but a slack head angle and adjustable chainstays make for a great bike, even if it is ali.
    Whyte have done there level best to make it disappear from the internet (completely gone from the website) but info can be found:

Geometry in the pdf on this page
    Sizing guide available here
    (though I’m 6’2″ and love my medium)

Had mine since January and basically run it all year, other than replacing the grips and brake pads yesterday, I’ve done nothing but ride it & enjoyed it the whole time.

slalom88
    Free Member

I bought my medium 5 weeks ago from Noah’s Ark after an internet hunt to track one down. I’m 5’9″ the medium is spot on for me.

I must say that before I decided that this was the bike for me I ran my other bike in the middle ring only (32T x 9 speed 26″) for several months just to prove to myself that I could live with the 1×10.

Having ridden the Whyte 929 I can only say to someone who might have any doubts over the 1×10 is to get (this) one – don’t be worried by the 1×10 it’s no problem unless you are brand new to the sport and/or lack reasonable fitness. This will go up most steep inclines and traction tends to be the limiting factor, not the gearing.

The spec on this bike ticks all the boxes – it really is a superb 29″ trail hardtail and goes well with my 2nd hand Whyte 46. Loving the 929 in the mud that has recently returned – it just floats over the top compared to a 26″.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 929’ is closed to new replies.