Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Whyte 629 or Scott Scale 960 or something else
  • majestic

I have been looking around for a new 29er hardtail, at around £1000 mark and have come up with Whyte 629 or Scott Scale 960.

before I go and arrange a test ride should i be considering anything else?

daily I commute along a nice flat railway line, weekends I regularly go exploring bridle ways cross country single track. I don’t mind the odd jump or down hill section but very rarely do this.

Any advice would really be appreciated

chriswilk
    Free Member

I’ve got a scott scale 760 (650b version) on order, I can tell you what it’s like in a couple of weeks.
    I spent a long time looking at the options and this came out best for me.

petersnell
    Free Member

I’ve had my 629 for 6 months now and am very pleased with it. Rides well,nice and fast and doesn’t mind the odd jump and wheely! Haven’t tried any other 29ers apart from a merida which felt a bit more xc if that makes sense.
    Upgrades brakes to slx tho as I’m not a fan of avid elixers.

majestic

Peter where the brakes that bad or do you just prefer slx?

weeksy

CUBE LTD 29 race.

petersnell
    Free Member

Never been a fan of low end avid brakes, pain to bleed and inconsistent lever travel. Sometimes they work fine and then the lever will come straight back to the bar with no effect usually when bombing down a hill! The slx are a lot better, haven’t had to bleed them yet and muchU more power and feel.

chriswilk
    Free Member

cubes have significantly shorter top tubes and higher front ends than the scott. Not a problem, just makes for different ride characteristiccs. Personally I prefer looong top tubes and a shorter stem.
    If I remember correctly, the whyte and scott have very similar geometry.

z1ppy

Voodoo Bizango 29er (extra 10% off today – probably be done again soon) and spend £400 on upgrades? Big Whyte fan though, there great bikes.

petersnell
    Free Member

Kona taro is £900 I think at wiggle (could be wrong tho!). Looks like an alloy honzo which could be worth considering if you fancy something more gnar!

tom200

I’ve had a scale 960 for about a year and it is brilliant. Much more versatile than the xc tag would suggest. Slack enough head angle to cope with technical stuff. Comes with solid (if a not very flash) shimano brakes and transmission. I have run mine 3×10, 1×10 and singlespeed depending on my mood. Upgrade wise I would go for forks and wheels, as with any other bike in this price range.

I too considered the whyte, but the scale seemed better specced and a bit lighter. I would have gone for the 950 if it wasn’t on a cycle to work scheme.

Try one, you will like it (try the whyte too if you can).

majestic

So the Scott seems to be have better(generally thought off as) brakes if i am reading the comments above correctly.

Reading about the Whyte – it seems to have a decent wheel set but i cant find much info on it?

mutoiddoh
    Free Member

I was looking at the Scott and the Whyte. I bought the 629, I preferred the ride/geometry (not much in it admittedly) and 2×10. I too changed the avid for some shimano xt brakes after not very long, I just didn’t like the feel.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Really impressed with my first foray into 29erworld – Cannondale SL1.
    Rides much better than the sum of its parts.

majestic

A friends just pointed this out – http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-cooker-hi-29er-2013/

hmm

just of to have a look at the SL1

rocketbike
    Free Member

Selling a brand new 2014 Scott Scale 950 which is a much better spec than the 960 and never ridden for a very good price
    I decided on the carbon version which is the same geometry and its just amazing. Been riding MTB for 25 years – XC, DH, Freeride and was never interested in 29ers and then I bought a Scott Scale..

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/scott-scale-950-brand-new-never-ridden-size-m-1010-in-mbr-bargain-price

NormalMan

I’m really happy with my Spesh Carve (now Crave for 2014) so in true stw ‘recommend what you ride’ tradition, I’d say test ride one.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 629 or Scott Scale 960 or something else’ is closed to new replies.