Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Whyte 29c frame damage
  • martstaff
    Free Member

Hello all … has anybody come across this unusual fault on a Whyte 29c before … I’ve got a hole in the carbon frame inside the rear on the opposite side of the chain rings … I’m running a maxis 2.1 and have had no issues with rubbing … bike only 15 months old

scotroutes

Is it approximately in line with the tyre?

matt_outandabout

Picture?

martstaff
    Free Member

New here …. can’t work out how to upload picture

martstaff
    Free Member

Yes it is in line with the tyre but the tyre has been central and not rubbing

martstaff
    Free Member

See if this works

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

The wheel may flex in riding.
    I had this on a cross bike, the wheel was loose on the axles, so wobbly and I did not realise. Big tyres which just had enough clearence rubbed it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Holy enormous s@&£ bags.
    That is impressive.
    “and have had no issues with rubbing” in which case you’ve got the worst case of carbon worm I’ve ever seen.

DT78
    Free Member

Ouch. That very much looks like tyre rub. Wheels can flex under load, you sure you didn’t notice a sound under power. Expensive lesson :(. I have to stick to a 2.1 on my scale even though a 2.25 fits, under heavy power or turning hard wheel can flex and buzz the chainstay

scotroutes

Does that have a QR rear wheel? Looks like it might have slipped out of the dropouts. That will result in NDS tyre rub as the drive side of the axle slips forward.

wiggles
    Free Member

tyre rub…
    play in wheel bearings, flex in wheel etc could all be the cause.

andyl
    Free Member

Easily fixable if you send it to someone new before it cracks.

Very stiff/well built area of frame so they can scarf in and pad up a nice repair.

Get your wheel dish checked, tension checked and think about running a smaller tyre. Also check the QRs as above if it has them.

martstaff
    Free Member

Thank you all …. I didn’t think a 2.1 was too big …. I can see why I’m not the kom now lol

Rorschach
    Free Member
    lesgrandepotato

That’s looking pretty sad to me. Deffo time to look for a new triangle.

DT78
    Free Member

As well as above check the axle on the rear hub, they can snap. Basically if the wheel looks central with lots of clearance and is still causing that level of rub the rear wheel needs a good looking at.

Can’t believe you didn’t notice that cleaning? Would have thought that would have taken a while to get that bad!

jonnyboi

Ooh, that’ll sting. Your wallet

Didn’t you notice any disc rubbing if it was out of whack? Or did you just run too big a tyre?

andyl
    Free Member

That’s looking pretty sad to me. Deffo time to look for a new triangle.

It’s a hardtail.

Repair would be cheaper than a carbon triangle anyway.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Is it a sticker?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Were you running a very low pressure soe the tyre could deform?

I wonder if tyres change shape when spinning and under load, combined with lateral forces.

Now theres ones for the physics nerds?

martstaff
    Free Member

BTW all … just for an update …. Whyte came up trumps for customer service. There was an issue with the build of the wheel and the fixed that and replaced the frame.
    1st class … now how about one of those S150’s

weeksy

Wow, result!

superstu
    Free Member

That’s awesome. Thumbs up to Whyte

nosedive
    Free Member

Thats great service. Definitely getting an S150 now

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 29c frame damage’ is closed to new replies.