Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Whyte 19 Trail
  • bobster
    Free Member

Looking at the 19 Trail at the moment in Alloy or Steel.

Who’s got one? How you finding it? Did you try both and how did they compare? What else did you try and how does it compare?

Looking to replace a frame at the moment and after a fast singletrack weapon that’s comfy DH, but equally at home coming back up. I’ve tried the Alloy 19 Trail and very impressed so far, but my heart was originally set on steel.

Anything else similar I should look at?

Oh, and that dropout arrangement? Anyone play with it much? Or is it try each, find what you like and leave it?

Ta

buffalobill
    Free Member

Bought an alloy one off here last year and its great. As it was for my move back to a HT, I was a bit concerned it would be a bit too stiff, but its been fine – flies downhill and shoots back up again.

Have left the dropout as per manual – not bothered fiddling as it works as it is.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 (Alloy, Alloy with carbon seat stays and Ti) the Alloy and Ti are setup as SS, I rode a Steel earlier in the year and wasn’t that impressed, it was heavy and I couldn’t really see the point of it apart from a fashion statement (oh look at me I’ve got a steel bike).

rewski
    Free Member

Dibbs – how much better would you say the Ti is compared to alloy? Seriously thinking about a Ti HT with 140 travel fork, also looking at charge duster Ti and the alloy santa cruz chameleon just because everyone who’s got one seems smitten. I do like the idea of a UK bike though.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve commented on my Whyte 19 Steel on here a few times so it’s worth a search.

Summary – I like it. I’ve fiddled with the dropouts; in the summer I can get away with them long and it makes the bike more stable for going fast, but in the mud they are better off in the middle to get more feel and help limit tyre slippage.

I ran it SS for the euro SS championships after my other bike died – worked really well and was a great bike to race.

I like the feel of steel and I prefer it to my last alloy bike, but I may have liked the Alloy… who knows… I never tried it as I couldn’t afford it.

Downside – I think the bottom bracket would be nice a little lower. The BB30 on all the steel frames I have seen have been a little tight. The seatpost on the steel is 27.2mm, and mine has become very scratched = badly finished frame? Seat tube bottle bosses limit how low you can drop the saddle.

I had a problem with my frame but Whyte were excellent to deal with so thumbs up for support.

Overall – it’s a great bike. Rides well for almost all terrain and is a great mile muncher. Drop the seatpost for the doonhalls and the slack headangle makes it ride like a little 4cross bike that tempts you into daft jumps and serious hooning into berms etc… but watch your skinny XC forks and wheels as it’s easy to get carried away.

Dibbs
    Free Member

how much better would you say the Ti is compared to alloy?

To be perfectly honest I can’t tell the difference between the two, and I’ve a feeling the Ti is the slightly heavier (both built to the same spec).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 19 Trail’ is closed to new replies.