Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Whyte 146s Questions.
  • dannymite1981
    Free Member

I have just bought a 2012 whyte 146s it is in great condition and i got it for a good price which is the main reason i bought it.Even though i had doubts i am confident of reselling for what i paid.This is only my second real mountain bike and my first carbon one so i would like some advice please.I only bought it yesterday and have not taken it on a trail yet.I generally go on 2 to 4 hr rides in the peaks and do push it on the downhills.Is this bike built for that kind of riding as it does feel quite fragile and light?There seems to be a lot of twist in the rear end,is this common with carbon bikes or just this model because this again worries me slightly?Because i have bought this bike second hand is it still covered under whyte’s warranty guarantee?
    Thanks for any advice 🙂

steveh

It won’t be under warranty.

It’s not carbon bikes in general that are flexi, just specifically the Whytes. Mine was without doubt the most flexible bike I’ve ever had.

The geometry on them is great and the ride well for it but the flex made mine feel hard to push on down descents.

They are very close to being great bikes but I sold mine on after a few months as I got bored of bearing changes and the general made of cheese feeling.

dannymite1981
    Free Member

Thanks for input steve.Would you say the frame can take a bit of a hammering compared to other bike frames without cracking as i do fall off time to time.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Iye, they do flex, but would doubt it would just suddenly develop cracks unless you stacked do hard into a direct tree etc.

Leave your worries at home and go enjoy.

I sold my Whyte ti after not having long had it due to it being so twitchy and also unusually flexy for a bb30 frame.

I remember the whyte 46, man I tellsya, THAT WAS FLEXY!

DickBarton

Not as flexy as an orange 5, but very close…the ‘single’ arm rear end means it flexes easily. It can take a pounding, very good bike.
    Watch the bikes in action in slo-mo and see how much twang the wheels have.
    Had mine since 11 and only needed 1 bearing change. Saying that I’m not a hard rider but the bike takes it all I can dish and a couple of mates have them and ride far harder than I do…no problems with them.
    Seems a bit strange to but a bike with a resale in mind…sounds like you don’t think you’ll like the bike…I’d have waited for a bike I was 100% happy with.
    Enjoy the ride, give it some welly…it’ll reward you well.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Is the 2012 146 the one with or without the extra brace in the frame to combat flex?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 146s Questions.’ is closed to new replies.