Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Whyte 146 Rear Tyre Suggestions Please
  • andrewlowe
    Free Member

Hi,

I’ve got a Whyte 146 Works which came with a Maxxis Ardent on the front and a Maxxis CrossMark on the rear. I appreciate the rear tyre is a faster rolling racing tyre and on the trails I certainly have no complaints! However, riding cross country is a different story (I know it’s not a XC bike). Can anyone suggest a suitable all weather all rounder (preferably puncture resistant) combo?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

What about a maxxis high roller.

I quite like maxxis tyres, but then i use that combo on my 805 and it works very well, i run 50psi too. All my riding is xc, red route trail stuff.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Are you losing rear end grip on climbs or do you just want more grip everywhere? Are you willing to add a bit of weight?

PJM1974
    Free Member

It depends on your priorities…

Quad Link 2 bikes are a little sensitive to tyre choice, there’s a tradeoff between traction, drag and wallow to take into account. I’ve got a Wolf Ridge which has avery similar setup to the Whyte.

On the back of the bike I’ve tried Nevegals, Small Block Eights, Ardents and High Rollers. I found with SB8s and Ardents that the bike spat traction abruptly which made climbing a bit of a mission. The SB8 also has some bad manners under braking too, unlike the Ardent which was pretty stable aside from climbing in the wet. In fact, I’d suggest that Ardents are the ideal dry weather rear tyre for your bike.

The Nevegals gave fantastic grip and traction, but at the expense of rolling resistance which made epic rides an absolute chore, however whislt riding the downhills in North Wales the bike felt unbelievably stable and fast to boot. The High Roller was better here, but I didn’t get on with the loss of any feedback or grip at intermediate speed. It’s an all or nothing tyre.

jimjam
    Free Member

PJM1974

Quad Link 2 bikes are a little sensitive to tyre choice, there’s a tradeoff between traction, drag and wallow to take into account.

As opposed to bikes that aren’t sensitive to tyre choice, exercise bikes maybe?

For mixed muddy terrain and reasonable rolling resistance look at specialized storm controls or maxxis medusa. For constant deep mud panaraced trailraker, for tons of grip but compromised rr look at schwalbe muddy marys and super tacky high rollers.

Whatever you choose it’ll be some sort of compromise and you’ll not know what works for you until you try them so get buying!

Whyte1
    Free Member

Stevewhyte try dropping your psi to about 30-35psi MAX off road it’ll be MUCH faster as it’ll roll smoothly over thing instead of being deflected away from them .
    The only time 50psi would be faster is on the road .

PJM1974
    Free Member

@jimjam

Try riding a Quad Link 2 bike and an FSR back to back and you’ll see exactly what I mean.

An FSR has better traction, at the expense of pedalling support so you can get away with shallower treaded tyres because the suspension doesn’t ramp up and cause the traction to spit suddenly.

You’re more than welcome to try mine if you like.

@Whyte1 is quite right here too.

KevinPP
    Free Member

I ditched the Crossmark for an Aspen 2.25 which I found much better. Running Bonty XR4s at the moment tho. Seem to suit the bike really well and fantastic winter grip.

jimjam
    Free Member

PJM1974

Try riding a Quad Link 2 bike and an FSR back to back and you’ll see exactly what I mean.

I used to work in a Marin/Whyte dealership and own an FSR. I choose tyres based on trail conditions.

gb1m
    Free Member

I also ditched the crossmark on my 146 and replaced with aspen as well but it only lasted a couple of rides until a rock slashed the side.

Replaced with ardent exo on rear and for the shit conditions at the mo have put a 2.5 minion on the front. Seems a good combination if a little slow on tarmac, but hey , it helps with my belly.

DickBarton

My 146S also came with said tyres – unless it’s bone dry they are utterly awful…I am now running some Conti Rubber Queen’s 2.2…seem to be far better.

The High Rollers I had on the Mount Vision were the 2.1 versions and they were also truly awful…the much bigger volume 2.3 or 2.4 version are far better.

sambob
    Free Member

Maxxis ADvantage are a superb tyre, even in the 70A compound.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Whyte1 – Member
    Stevewhyte try dropping your psi to about 30-35psi MAX off road it’ll be MUCH faster as it’ll roll smoothly over thing instead of being deflected away from them .
    The only time 50psi would be faster is on the road .

May be if you are 10 stone but not 15. I dont like running much less than 50psi, maybe run 45psi front 50 psi rear.

I would rather avoid punctures running slightly higher pressures than get a pinch every ride.

p.s. I run 100psi on the road btw. 😀

Whyte1
    Free Member

Tubeless is the future , punctures are just a horrible memory

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Sorry i dont buy into the tubeless thang.

Northwind

You should, it’s great. Buuuut, doesn’t mean you can run drastically lower pressure anyway, since if you were pinching, you’ll still be banging the rims- drop the pressure and you just swap pinches for dents 😉

Doubt anyone else will recommend this, it’s my “what tyres for” wildcard- Kenda Telonix 2.2 DTC. God knows what it’s supposed to be for, sandy soil I hear, but what it turns out to be is a little XC mud spike. Grip is flaky on woodwork and fairly low on stone, but great on anything with any give in it. And it’s respectably fast rolling to boot.

Or failing that just get an Advantage, they are awesome.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 146 Rear Tyre Suggestions Please’ is closed to new replies.