Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Whyte 129s bottom bracket replacement recommendations
  • retrobeen
    Free Member

My 129s is a year old and the bottom bracket feels like the ratchet on my socket set so am going to pop in a new one. The SRAM GXP which came with the bike seems to have a tendency to wear out quickly so I would like to replace with something a bit better.

Has anybody changed theirs? Any recommendations of what to fit?

Also had to change the headset bearings, not great on a bike of this age. Otherwise love he bike.

Thanks for any help.

N

bowglie

Is it a Pressfit GXP BB? If so, does it look like the bearings are pressed into plastic liner cups, or direct into frame?

Reason I ask is because I’ve got same problem as you with a notchy BB bearing in my Devinci. The last bike I had with GXP BB was a carbon frame with ‘direct fit’ Pressfit bearings, and I ended up having one of the Hope Pressfit jobs fitted, as I didn’t want to end up hammering out kna**ered bearings every 3 months! If the Hope Pressfit one will fit your frame, I can recommend them.

wiggles
    Free Member

Whyte is just normal threaded gxp. Best option is hope with gxp adaptor.

retrobeen
    Free Member

Yes it’s threaded. Was looking at the Hope.

bowglie

Retrobean, you might be in luck, as I have a brand new unused threaded Hope BB with GXP adapters fitted that I need to sell.

I bought it from 18 Bikes for my Devinci assuming it was threaded BB, only to find it was Pressfit when I got home..Duh!! It’s looking like I’ve got to take he frame in for them to fit one of the Hope Pressfits.

If it’s of interest, I can do you the Hope BB for a tenner lass than the best online price you can find for a Hope BB and GXP adapters.

mboy
    Free Member

Definitely Hope Stainless (ceramic not worth it offroad) with the GXP adapters. Unless you want to spend CK money that is!

retrobeen
    Free Member

Bowglie

Hi, thanks.

Can you confirm the size and colour you have?

I have found the BB for £57 (Evans) and the adapters for £8.49. So if yours are right size/col how about £60 inc. p&p?

Do you have Paypal?

Cheers.

bowglie

Hi retrob, it’s a normal threaded Hope BB (stainless bearings) in black. Still in its original plastic box/tube package with spacing rings & instructions. The spacers allow it to fit 68mm or 73mm BB shells. Price is good with me, and my email is in my profile if you want to drop me a line to arrange PayPal.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Whyte 129s bottom bracket replacement recommendations’ is closed to new replies.