Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • why do I wake up early after wine/whisky……. :-(
  • iainc

Wonder if its an age thing ? Wide awake when I don’t have to be, but did have wine and whisky last night…

roach

Always been the same for me, have never been one to lay-in after drinking.

pictonroad

Yep, same here.. It’s annoying!

iainc

Weird isn’t it. Oh well, I’ve got some bike fettling to get on with while wife and kids still asleep 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s because yer auld.

iainc

Cheers Greg 🙂

TubsRacing
    Free Member

Obviously not drinking enough.

ask1974
    Free Member

I’ve never been a long sleeper but I sleep well, never too tired during the day. My alarm is set for 05.45 but I’m usually awake well before this. Recently I’ve been falling asleep at around 10pm and I’m fully awake by 4.30am. Doesn’t seem to matter if booze is consumed or not.

Luckily I love mornings and see this as ‘me time’ when I don’t have to wrestle the remote or iPad from my wife and kids. Of course now it’s a bit of a boon, I get to watch the cricket… 😀

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Because despite popular belief alcohol does not make you sleep better, your body doesn’t go into that deep sleep stage it normally does which I why you always feel unrested afterwards.

The Oracle.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I’ve also heard that the alcohol makes you fall asleep quickly but then turns to sugar and your system then has a huge amount of energy it has to deal with. I just think it’s an old gits problem. I was wide awake at 4 after a nice bottle of red with Mrs Rossco last night.

beej

It’s quite simple.

The term “rebound effect” means that certain physiological variables (e.g., sleep variables, such as the amount of REM sleep) change in the opposite direction to the changes induced by alcohol and even exceed normal levels once alcohol is eliminated from the body. This effect results from the body’s adjustment to the presence of alcohol during the first half of the sleep period in an effort to maintain a normal sleep pattern. Once alcohol is eliminated from the body, however, these adjustments result in sleep disruption.

From http://io9.com/why-you-always-wake-up-early-after-a-night-of-drinking-5980281

In other words, alcohol suppresses stuff and when the alcohol goes that stuff comes back more intense than before… and you wake up.

maccruiskeen

Wide awake when I don’t have to be, but did have wine and whisky last night…

For gods sake man – if you were drinking a respectable amount of wine and whisky it would still be last night.

But as above booze doesn’t aid sleep

ton

sleep heavy while 3ish, then up wide awake, every time i have a drink.

iainc

Great sleep midnight till 6, then wide awake. Never mind, did some bike jobs and off swimming with junior in half an hr. Nowt like a sat morn swim to clear the head 🙂

sandwicheater

Your body is telling you it’s ready for more wine/whisky, duh!

iainc

LOL 🙂 nah, a bottle of red and a glug of grouse was a bit too much ….

hora
    Free Member

In SIMPLE terms sugars I imagine.

You effect you natural levels by spiking one way?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Grouse? Thought you said you were drinking whisky? 😀

iainc

Nobeer – the decent stuff is finished and waiting for Santa to replenish 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Grouse is one of the better and more respected blends and it has plenty of malt whisky in it including big hitters like Macallan and Highland Park.

Without blended whisky, there wouldn’t be Malts.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks for the lesson….

iainc

I bought it with English notes too 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Surely its without malts there would be no blends……..

Or is it chicken and egg ?

I was out in baku last night on local stuff – you get dark medium or light beer at the bar.

All three better than tennents at least.

Wide awake at 6am baku time this morning. Shame we didnt go to work till 8.15 🙁

iainc

That’s Abz for you 🙂

althepal

Yup. In exactly the same situation tonight.. beer and whisky in my case though.
    Stayed up till 2am, crashed and slept till about half nine which is unusual..
    Doing family stuff all day and was slightly hungover/tired but wide awake now!
    Felt like I got a pretty good sleep too..

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘why do I wake up early after wine/whisky……. :-(’ is closed to new replies.