Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 165 total)
  • Why would you wear gloves in Summer?
  • When I was getting into cycling, string backed leather mitts were what marked you out as a “proper” cyclist (along with the hairnet crash helmet for proper racers)

I still wear proper leather mitts as they make me feel superior to all the Johnny come latelys.

But think how stinky your saddle would get with no shorts between it and your bum!

I thnk you’ll find a nice leather saddle helps here

Mister-P
    Free Member

“Road bike- I can see why you wear mitts- for the extra cushioning on your palm as the bike is bloody rigid”

If your bike is correctly set up then you shouldn’t need any cushioning at all.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If your bike is correctly set up

😆

This is Hora we’re talking about
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oh-no-i-bought-the-wrong-the-wrong-bike-size

amedias
    Free Member

because otherwise all the holes in my (now deceased) gloves would be holes in my hands, and that would make me sad.

hooli

Gravel rash on the hands is the only reason for me

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I forgot some the other day and rode bare-handed. Fortunately I have ESI grips and it wasn’t too bad.

I like close fitting leather palmed gloves; they feel nice.

br
    Free Member

If you fall off- if you put your hand out your going break something, graze? How many times do you fall off with your hand out? I see them as just another layer/something to faff and remember.

If you end up in hospital, remember nurses don’t wipe ar5e5 anymore, so probably best that amongst your injuries are not shreded hands.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

^^^100%

Hora, you really have excelled here 🙄

matt_outandabout

Nah, its all good.

faustus

Oh, i’d forgotten one of the main uses for gloves other than cushioning: to soak/wipe snot or sweat from your face, I need this in summer and winter, and that flannel patch soaks up loads.

Even after you’ve done a ‘tramps hanky’, you need to wipe up the strings…

Northwind

Even small cuts etc on hands are a pain in the arris. I know a young downhiller kid who insists on riding gloveless, he keeps missing race runs because he’s hurt his hands but apparently it “makes him faster” 😆

tangoman19
    Free Member

Mate who has ridden gloveless for a good while fell at Afan on Saturday and ended up with pretty much identical injuries to Gofasterstripes… Ruined the rest of his ride and cut short his next day at BPW. Stinkers… Hes on about wearing gloves now. Silly Sausage.

dknwhy

Having lost the skin on both palms during a crash when I was 16, I always wear gloves. Being without use of your hands as a 16 year old lad is the worst thing that can happen to your sex life.

LoCo
    Free Member

To complete your lurid mismatched dayglo enduro specific outfit?

philfive
    Free Member

I wear them as I don’t want to leave finger prints behind.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

To go with my snatch and heels dahhhling.

Went out on sunday with no gloves (<–unusually) (as usual–>) crashed and now have very sore hands and knuckles and knees and arse and thigh and ankle and elbow. Luckily I’ve seen a ‘body glove’ advertised on Anne Summers so I’ll be riding in that from now on.

hora
    Free Member

When I fall I tuck in. I dont hands-out as I know it can cause the dreaded collar-bone break. So I guess its personal-preference v how you tend to fall (our where you ride). Post-damaging my knee I started wearing knee pads. Soon stopped that though and I hate wearing a helmet as it is- so thats the only concession IMO that I’ll make.

Still… last night on a road ride I left the helmet at home and cars seemed to give me a wider berth than usual.

scc999

Because I prefer to. For many of the reasons already cited.

Back to your bridge.

Si

Gary_M
    Free Member

What I do notice is the feeling of freedom and not having to remove a glove everytime I need to stop/get something

If your idea of ‘freedom’ is riding without gloves then you need to broaden your horizons. 🙂

Why would you have to remove gloves ‘to stop/get something’ – what sort of gloves are you wearing.

I don’t wear them commuting but usually wear them on longer ride.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well the one thing I know about the falls that caused damage is that they didn’t go according to plan.

Northwind

Gary_M – Member

If your idea of ‘freedom’ is riding without gloves then you need to broaden your horizons.

Hora’s gloves:

hora
    Free Member

If your idea of ‘freedom’ is riding without gloves then you need to broaden your horizons

My idea of freedom is riding without pads, pack, etc etc. Minimal as possible, like when we were kids riding lazily along.

In the Peaks too many people are padded up and recently I see full facers more and more.

Oury grips with skin = mental grip/feel IMO too.

rOcKeTdOg

My idea of freedom is riding without pads, pack,

I always ride without pads & pack but never without gloves off road, more for their excellent wiping sweaty brow properties than anything else though

mindmap3
    Free Member

Just admit it Hora…you’re becoming a fashion biker and want to be like the rad youngs kids ‘shredding’ with no gloves. The trails will come alive with the extra feel.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have never posted on a hora thread before, but does he always just post a stream of bike related conciousness, or is there sometimes something worth looking into?

klumpy
    Free Member

My idea of freedom is riding without pads, pack, etc etc. Minimal as possible, like when we were kids riding lazily along.

In the Peaks too many people are padded up and recently I see full facers more and more.

Oury grips with skin = mental grip/feel IMO too.

I know someone who always wears a full facer because they don’t want to buy a full set of dental implants – again. And falling and bashing your knee (or anything) possibly means time off the bike, so the padded up brigade might simply be doing all they can to ensure they can keep riding. Seems quite a good idea for someone who likes riding – rather than collecting frames.

Glubs wick away sweat, help you grip the bars, and probably give you a full down-to-the-bone worth of sliding before you even reach your real skin. And any half decent motocross glub off ebay has venting and materials that won’t give hot hands.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

My hands get sweaty which makes it difficult to grip unless I frequently rub my hands in the dirt to soak the sweat.

fasthaggis

Is Pistonheads offline today ?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

When I fall I tuck in. I dont hands-out as I know it can cause the dreaded collar-bone break.

You must be falling in slow-mo, I don’t remember ever having thinking time between realising I was coming off and hitting the deck.

hora
    Free Member

You must be falling in slow-mo, I don’t remember ever having thinking time between realising I was coming off and hitting the deck.

Even if you KNOW you are going to go over the bars? That IS like slow-mo.

Oh, i’d forgotten one of the main uses for gloves other than cushioning: to soak/wipe snot or sweat from your face, I need this in summer and winter, and that flannel patch soaks up loads.

The line of padding on your helmet helps on this and snot etc? Its more of a winter thing. A quick side-ways blast from each nostril once works for me.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hora your constant silly questions that mean you get attention are tedious as ****, even i have grown out of the constant attention seeking and internet approval!!

IHN

does he always just post a stream of bike related conciousness or is there sometimes something worth looking into?[/i]

‘conciousness’ is going a bit far. ‘half-baked b0ll0cks’ is closer

is there sometimes something worth looking into?

rarely, if ever.

But we love him 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Can people not wear what they want in ‘the Peaks’?

jonathan
    Free Member

It’s like having a lumping great child bumping around the forum… amusing at times

And I used to have the same conversations with my kids, until they saw sense.

“Put your gloves on”

“Why?”

“Because if you fall off with gloves on you probably won’t put holes in your hands… and that means you’ll be able to get up and get back on your bike again.”

“Oh… OK”

Same with knee pads. That just needs the one fall with them on and to point out “If you hadn’t been wearing pads would you be jumping straight back on your bike now?”

Had a mountain rescue call out the other day to help pick up a lad on a local club ride. Gone over the bars and managed to lacerate/deglove his leg. An almost identical injury to one I had nearly 5 years ago. I was chatting to him about it as we loaded him into the ambulance and he asked “How quickly did your’s heal up? I’m going to Tenerife in 8 days!”… “Umm.. no you’re not.”

I wasn’t going to make the knee pad point with him just then. I never ride without mine 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

do you ride everywhere sooooo sloooowly that you notice what people are wearing?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Even if you KNOW you are going to go over the bars? That IS like slow-mo.

It is at low speed, but I learnt how not to do that and I haven’t had one of those in a long, long time. I’ve been ejected over the front at high speed from catching a hidden stump or hole hard enough that my arms couldn’t stop me and that happens too fast to think about too. Mostly I come off the low side on corners though and that’s pretty much an instant “Ouch, I’m on the ground” thing.

faustus

Hora, I don’t see how I can use my helmet pads to wipe away snot from my nose or sweat from my face? I also stream snot when I exercise (year round – I blame it on having a big nose), and as I said before, a quick blast doesn’t always get rid of the streamers…

Anyway, i’ve contributed way more than I should have done to a fairly pointless thread!

pictonroad

It’s just trolling isn’t it?

hora
    Free Member

rob jackson – Member
    Hora your constant silly questions that mean you get attention are tedious as ****, even i have grown out of the constant attention seeking and internet approval!!

Isn’t there yet another 1,000th frame and/or fork combo of 2014 for you to buy over in the classifieds?

robinlaidlaw – even when I came off at speed and buggered my hip I still thought ‘oh I’m not going to land this square’ feeling before I landed.

I forgot the STW’er demographic is an ageing one. Grumpy too. Munrobiker don’t like/don’t post. Simple really. Or do you speak (as with some ^) purely for the purpose of typing back? A crap topic dies a sudden death unless its fed by idiots and genuine posters on topic ney?.

🙂

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

robinlaidlaw – even when I came off at speed and buggered my hip I still thought ‘oh I’m not going to land this square’ feeling before I landed.

It’s possible we ride differently 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 165 total)

The topic ‘Why would you wear gloves in Summer?’ is closed to new replies.