• This topic has 22 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Houns.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Why would you chuck a frame in a skip?
  • mangoridebike

I have little shame and just hauled a Bianchi Alloro frame & forks out of the metal recycling skip at the local tip. It seems in good nick, no obvious dents or cracks. It’s got an Ultegra rear mech and front mech which both seem fine and the Ultegra cranks spin freely so no obvious issues there. The seatpost is not stuck and the bars turn smoothly.

It all seems to be fine, but if can’t help wondering why it’s been chucked, anything I should look out for? And if there is an issue with the bike why I strip the brakes/shifters off it, but not the cranks & mechs etc?

I originally thought I could salvage the cranks and return the rest to the skip but now I’m thinking of building up a nice cheap road bike for the summer 🙂

Next step will be to take it to the LBS to check alignment etc.

jekkyl

did you ask if you could take it? if thrown away it becomes the property of the local authority, otherwise that’s theft 😕

edlong
    Free Member

Relative or similar clearing out a house and shed following a bereavement? Old bike frame would just look like scrap to someone with no interest in cycling, I’d have thought.

bruneep

Just like 2010 2012 frame and 26″ wheel size forks no one wants these now

geoffj

bruneep – Member
    Just like 2010 2012 frame and 26″ wheel size forks no one wants these now

😆

tomhoward

Used to commit a crime?

renton
    Free Member

Very good bruneep

smatkins1
    Free Member

Maybe it’s cursed!

Riding it will result in all your hair falling off your legs and your clothes shrinking to revealingly tight fit.

unovolo
    Free Member

When I lived in Oz, used to get Bike frames and parts all the time plus other goodies.

People would leave the stuff out on the Verge for the Bin men to take to the tip.

Used to see guys driving round in Utes at the weekend scouring for the best bits.

samunkim
    Free Member

Cause its been knicked and stripped

nealglover
    Free Member

Cause its been knicked and stripped

Seems unlikely, seeing as it hasn’t been stripped of stuff that’s worth keeping, and has been taken to a recycling centre rather dumped on the street somewhere.

Euro
    Free Member

Yes i would. I’ve binned a pinky purple claud butler mtb frame and a pretty fecked but rideable haro sport bmx frame because they were taking up shedroom and i couldn’t be arsed trying to sell them (pre-internet days).

woodster

I’ve skipped a perfectly usable frame and wheels, when I realised as I was moving house that they wouldn’t fit in the car.

5thElefant
    Free Member

When I moved house I took at least 10 trips to the tip with a pickup truck. You find all the stuff that’s too good to chuck out suddenly makes the threshold when you move.

They were pulling stuff out as fast as I could lob it in.

Waderider
    Free Member

When I met my wife my father-in-law proceeded to tell me how a cyclist friend lent him an old road bike to cycle to work on in the seventies. Eventually it fell into disrepair and went to the attic. Decades past and finally it went to the dump.

‘Hetchins’ he said to me. “Did it have curly chainstays?” I said.

I can’t type anymore. I met my wife too late.

stumpy01

No reason for someone who isn’t into bikes and doesn’t want the clutter to not chuck it out.

Mate of mine moved into a flat recently and was showing me photos of all the stuff he had to clear out; amongst it was a pair of Rockshox that looked in perfectly good nick. He knows I’m into bikes and could have used them but just chucked them in the skip!

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve chucked a BSO in the skip at the tip. Worker there came over interested, took one look and chucked it back.

Houns

I’ve helped skip scores of hardly used boardmans/voodoos/Carreras plus loads of wheels/forks etc. Had to smack them up against the big industrial sized skip to render them buggered.

All against my will and dismay that I could’ve made some money on them

garage-dweller

^ cycle to work returns? Always been curious about what would happen to the handed back ones? Or just old model year?

ads678

My bro in law skipped a dyna-tech mtb cost he couldn’t be arsed fixing it up!!

oldgit
    Free Member

I stayed in a holiday home, it had a shed and in that shed was a falcon with full Campagnolo.
    Clearly wasn’t being used, tyres flat and fosilised into that shape, all the alu was starting to go white.
    Loved it.
    When I finally got a letter back from the cottage owner I was told it had been scrapped along with the shed.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve helped skip scores of hardly used boardmans/voodoos/Carreras plus loads of wheels/forks etc. Had to smack them up against the big industrial sized skip to render them buggered.

Explain? Surely there are plenty of folks who these could go to?

Houns

No, not c2w returns. Old test frames/bikes/old bikes from photo shoots. Prototypes etc a few warranty returns too

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Why would you chuck a frame in a skip?’ is closed to new replies.