Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • why would my phone line be down, but broadband still work?
  • DrP

As per the title-phone line keeps dropping out (handset says ‘check phone line’ and no dial tone, but I’m still able to post this via BB connection….
    Phone and router in same socket….!

DrP

amedias
    Free Member

they use different kit in the exchange and different frequency annexe on the line. Line goes back to exchange then splits voice service to PSTN kit and broadband to ADSL DSLam.

It is entirely possible for one to work and the other be broken, although normally PSTN (voice) issues take out the broadband as well so it is unusual to be in your situation.

*assuming it’s normal ADSL, and you’ve not got a built in splitter face plate then swap the microfilter for another one before you report a fault.

Also worth trying a different hand set and the phone with the router unplugged and vice versa, and the obvious like all cables/connections

disco_stu
    Free Member

You could try a different handset?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    luke
    Free Member

Had a similar problem only fixed this morning by the man from BT much more helpful than the idiots I currently pay at Sky.
    We had a break in the line 29 meters from the house and the engineer did his stuff and it all works again.

peterfile
    Free Member

Telephone AIDS

DrP

TAIDS -I though as much…..

Tbh, the only people that ring us are a machine telling me I qualify for free loft insulation, so can’t see myself stressing out to fix it…!

DrP

argoose
    Free Member

Mine has done the same a couple of times.
    Reoported and fixed after two days. As said before not used much so not too bothered.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘why would my phone line be down, but broadband still work?’ is closed to new replies.