Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Why would I buy an Alfine Hub?
  • Dancake
    Free Member

I fancy an Alfine Hub – its something a bit different.

Why would I do this? Has anyone done it..?

For the record there is actually nothing at all wrong with my 11.32 / 22/36 setup… 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

an alfine is the equivalent of a 1×9 not 2×9. They work best in a frame designed for them or SS so no chain tension is needed.

I have one and I like it – smooth easy and constant chain tension

tonyg2003

Why? Two winters with completely no maintenance. Same chain and ring/sprocket.

Dancake
    Free Member

sold

Seriously, though. 1×9 may be fine for my do-it-all bike.

Sod it you dont know until you try. Will have to run a tensioner initially though

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The new 11 speed one out in September/October is more like 2 x 9, and a Rohloff is pretty much 3 x 9.

SC13NT1F1C
    Free Member

So you can go belt drive ?

yossarian
    Free Member

why would you:

low/no maintenance
    good shifting

why wouldn't you:

heavy
    a bit of drag

Rip
    Free Member

As a confirmed Rohloff user, I'll be really interested to see these.

I could never go back to dérailleur now, so I'd definitely recommend the hub experience.

I've just got a belt drive Zion Rohloff and the combination is excellent. I'll definitely be giving the Alfine a go.

The big plus for me is instant, no pedalling shifting, not affected by mud and very minimal maintenance. If the Alfine matches Roholff for that then I'm interested too.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

The drag thing is a bit of a misnomer, once a conventional setup is a bit worn, light on oil or caked in mud, there's going to be plenty of drag there too!

Dancake
    Free Member

If I run a rear tensioner, will I need some kind of guide on the front to stop the chain falling off when it gets rough?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why would I buy an Alfine Hub?(

Because your boat needs an anchor? 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

dancake – unlikely if the tensioner gives decent tension and you have an unramped chainring The chainline should be perfect so little chance of the chain coming off

yossarian
    Free Member

Because your boat needs an anchor?

lol, how true

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

From a bit of research I thought the Alfine was equivalent to (roughly) a 12 to 38T cassette (with an 18T sprocket). So the potential gear range is broader than a typical 1*9 set up.

Someone with better grasp of gearing might know better.

Whilst drag is acknowledged from new it's supposed to reduce significantly once bedded in (c.200 miles).

Don't know about the tensioner.

NB: this is all based on research not personal experience, the damn thing is on back order 😉

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Anyone planning to get the Alfine 11 when it comes out?

What's your thinking on gearing? run it to match the low end of a 3×9 or thr high end of 3×9 or lose a bit each end?

I'm Alfine-curious…

Inzane
    Free Member

Want 11 speed alfine!!! I am so often biking out back and dont ride stuff because of projecting derailleur grabbers. Having an alfine and no derailleur would be fantastic!! I even bought me a transition TransAM frame a couple of weeks back in anticipation!!

Inzane
    Free Member

or maybe I would just put it on the 5 Spot with a tensioner, coz that is what I use for most of the outback missions!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

cheeky monkey – its exactly the range as a 1×9. altering the overall ratios alters the gear range same as doing so in a 1×9 by altering the chainring – its just you can alter the overall ratio by changing the rear sprocket as well as the chainring.

I run mine 32×16 this gives the same overall rations as a 1×9 with a 36 chainring

In your example 12/38 is the same ratio spread as 11/34 ( more or less) just the overall ration is raised

epicyclo

PeterPoddy – Member
    'Why would I buy an Alfine Hub?'
    Because your boat needs an anchor?

Ever weighed all the constituent parts of a derailleur setup? Not really that much in it.

I ran a Rohloff on a full sus with a tensioner and needed a guide at the front to keep the chain on.
    On a hardtail with EBB or slot dropouts, no, you don't need one.

Dancake
    Free Member

Ratio wise I will go for a 1:1 low gear to start off with if it is permissable.

Bloody hell. It has gone from a silly idea to a very serious one. Such is usually the case when my Son is amusing himself, my wife is at work and my bike is as clean as it is going to be.Last time this happened I ordered 2 sets of flat pedals and some shoes…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ever weighed all the constituent parts of a derailleur setup? Not really that much in it

Ever strapped all that weight into the middle of your back wheel? 😉

Just joking mate, I think they're a great idea truth be told. 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

Go for a 32:20 on it – that's what I have (and I'm a lardy bollocks), works out to about 2nd/3rd in a normal set up at the bottom. You'll top out on roads and some downhill stuff but for an all round set up it's fine. Any lower and you must be either savagely unfit or climbing stuff mountains goats can't be bothered with.

As an aside, I went for 819rims with gunk in the tyres, the hubs can be a pain to remove and I went for the belt and braces approach as it's my winter mud plugger.

Have a look through my post history for piccies.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Alfine hub: 1590g (without sprocket?)

1×9 SLX setup
    SLX hub: 384g
    SLX cassette (11-34): 315g
    SLX mech: 280g
    extra chain ~70g (assuming about 25% of 9speed chain is now removed)
    total: 1049.

So thats essentially 500g of extra hub! (and you still need a sprocket, and all the tensioning doodahhs on a normal bike, or a new singlespeed frame (which are rarely as light as more mainstreem frames).

epicyclo

PeterPoddy – Member
    'Ever weighed all the constituent parts of a derailleur setup? Not really that much in it'
    Ever strapped all that weight into the middle of your back wheel?

Yes. So I went singlespeed 🙂

Dancake
    Free Member

Cool. A plan is hatched. Wont bother with gunk, but I use dual ply minions which seem pretty puncture resistant at the mo….

I am a lardy arse too, so Ill take your advice…

pypdjl
    Free Member

They certainly aren't zero maintenance, mine is knacked after a year! Quite liked it while it was working though.

Saccades
    Free Member

servicing isn't too stressful though:

open up.
    pour oil down drain.
    flush with more oil (pour down drain).
    Top up with fresh oil.

Although it's expensive to buy the new internals, your only the 2nd person I've read about that had probelms though.

I've had one puncture on the UST's – pumped it up a bit, twirled the wheel around and it's still grand 3-4 months later (although bike is in summer hibernation atm, forks are in yorkshire somewhere getting serviced).

nb – I was joking about pouring oil down the drain.

peachos
    Free Member

what are they like for serious mtbing though? i mean i can see they'd be great for local midweek loops and general xc-ing about the place, but if you were encountering rocks, drops, jumps and all that how will they fare to such abuse?

tf
    Free Member

I though Alfine was the perfect solution for my winter bike, and this is what I learned during the first (and last) winter:

1. Alfine is not intended for mountain biking, it is intended for city bikes; it broke after 4 months of sedate XC riding (shimano replaced it under warranty, but that is besides the point),

2. The gear range is too limited; you will either get decent low gears with 23/32 setup, in which case you will outpedal it at about 16mph, or you get decent high gears, in which case it will climb like a single-speed.

3. It is heavy; it works out about 1.5 pounds extra compared to conventional geared set up that would cost you equivalent amount of money (and give you bigger gear range).

4. Putting a 1.6kg hub into the back of the bike completely screws up the way the bike handles; I do not really mind (3), I could live with (2), and get over (1), but this is the reason why I have a whole new alfine sitting in the garage doing nothing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tf – what broke on your alfine?

I agree the gear range is a bit limited but the alfine is supposed to be MTB capable – the nexus is the city bike hub

Mine is in a genesis IOID – you can feel the weight when you lift the bike but I don't notice it riding – but its mainly a commuter for mebut it has been round GT a few times and the puffer

"Putting a 1.6kg hub into the back of the bike completely screws up the way the bike handles"

No it doesn't.

tf
    Free Member

> what broke on your alfine?

Don't know, Shimano did not say; something inside, gears stopped engaging, and it was making terrible racket freewheeling (so bad I was expecting it to jam and turn into a fixie).

> the alfine is supposed to be MTB capable – the nexus is the city bike hub

That's what I thought when I bought it, but according to the Shimano website the Alfine range is a posh version of Nexus, with identical intended use; I could not find anything at all there that mentioned MTBs.

> but I don't notice it riding

Mine was fitted to a Chameleon and I found it very noticeable when needing to hop the bike; when the hub broke and I put on a regular wheel, I just could not believe how much better the bike handled over rough ground.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Although it's expensive to buy the new internals, your only the 2nd person I've read about that had probelms though.

Yeah it doesn't sound common, oh well! Mine is still useable, just has some play in it, will run it until it dies…

Del

i found on an inbred frame i noticed the weight, but then i also have another inbred as a ss, so it's possible that i felt too much at home, and the only thing that was different was the hub, so i noticed!. i now have mine on a P7, with a pike coil up front, and it's ALL a bit heavier, but the bike feels very well balanced. i don't think they're suited to relatively light frames running light(ish) forks. IMO, YMMV.

Saccades
    Free Member

Yeah it doesn't sound common, oh well! Mine is still useable, just has some play in it, will run it until it dies…

Play? Wouldn't that be the cone and cups bit of it?

I've used my Alfine off road for nearly 2 years now – with the last 4 months it being pretty unused. I don't really jump, but I'm 16stone (probably 17 with kit) and I have raced a few times with it – proper mtb with rocks and roots and mountains as well as trail centres and in everything the irish weather can throw at it.

I've washed it once and had to adjust the ebb 3-4 times and had to retune the alfine once because I stuck a trailer hitch on and the drive side bolt came lose.

I can't rate it high enough for a lazy sod like me.

allmountain76
    Free Member

Ive been running an older 500 version of the Alfine for 12 months now on 2 bikes and it was used when i got it. Never serviced it and its been used from xc in the Lakes to uplifts at Innners without missing a beat. Sure there have been broken ones but they are very few and far between and in terms of their suitability for MTB use – well the bikes below arent hardtail whippets really are they and mine is running perfectly for a time period where i would have done at least 2 mechs and 2 hangers as well as spent precious time in the shed fettling cables and indexing.

mboy
    Free Member

If you're the kind of guy that spends more time polishing his bikes, and obsessing about weight, gear ratios, having the right bike for the trail etc. then the Alfine is definitely not for you.

If you're the kind of guy that just likes to get out and ride, often in shitty conditions, and doesn't want to have to spend much time looking after his bike inbetween rides, and isn't bothered about ultimate high performance and lightweight, then the Alfine will appeal very highly.

I've had one for about 8 months now, I do have other bikes but in the time I've had it, it has had more use than the bikes with derrailleur gears have. It's not perfect, but its shortcomings aren't too much of an issue as far as I'm concerned. Got mine setup with a 34/22 gear ratio (on a 29er), would reccomend 32 or 34 with a 20 on a 26" bike personally, and it's superb. Only miss out ever so slightly at the bottom end in terms of gear ratios compared to a granny ring and 9spd cassette, and top end wise, well anything over 20mph and I'm usually no longer pedalling anyway…

I will definitely get an 11spd too when they come out, as to be fair, I think most of the shortcomings of the 8spd will be solved with the 11spd, even if it is more expensive, and I envisage it getting a lot of use!

Oh, and for the "boat anchor" comments… If you're worrying about the weight of the rear hub whilst you're riding your bike, I suggest you're not riding hard enough. Only time I notice the weight of mine is lifting the bike over a gate, when the bike does feel very slightly rear end heavy.

And as far as drag goes… Well they're slightly draggy from new, but this is just good sealing to be fair. They do ease up with use, mine is now about the free-est rolling hub I've ever owned, I can put in a pedal stroke and let it freewheel for ages!

allmountain76
    Free Member

echoing mBoy – only time i run out of ratios now is on very steep climbs that are border line unridable. Top end ok on a fast road or fire road im coasting at 20ish mph. Uplifts i just bang on a 16t instead of a 20t sprocket (single c clip and job done). Weight wise – if the rear end feels heavy you could always adopt my policy and swap out your light air forks for big heavy coils to balance it up!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I have a brand new in box alfine 8 shifter and fitting kit if anyone is interested?

Bought it when hub was on back order, then cancelled hub order as prices went up hugely due to weak pound etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Why would I buy an Alfine Hub?’ is closed to new replies.