Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Why would a soldier wear a head cam?
  • csb

Putting aside the stupidity of videoing yourselves doing something illegal, why would soldiers wear head cams? It doesn’t seem to have been an officially provided one. Any ideas?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Here we go… 🙄

zippykona

If one of them Taliban pulls out in front of them they will have them bang to rights.

tomhoward

Assaults may be recorded for training purposes….

legend
    Free Member

never seen Universal Soldier?

Also worth a look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Integrated_Soldier_Technology the timescales are wrong though, kit’s (not necessarily the full kit) been getting shipped for a while

johnners
    Free Member

Chicks dig it.

Duffer
    Free Member

They won’t be carrying anything that’s not been issued to them. Except possibly their Leatherman…

johnners
    Free Member

They won’t be carrying anything that’s not been issued to them. Except possibly their Leatherman…

…and their Hooters rig.

CountZero

Duffer – Member

Seriously? Soldiers have been supplementing their issue kit with personally bought items for decades, just like any other professional.

Muke
    Free Member

You’ve been framed pay £250 a clip I believe. 😉

parkesie
    Free Member

Not long back from afghan and we had a head cam from the bbc that we took out with us. Apart from that camera and issued cameras for photographing evidence no other camera should be taken out. As to why someone might wear one you can capture some amazing footage and its good to watch it back and laugh at anyone flapping.
    The problems come from not aplying comon sense to what you are videoing or taking pictures of, which i suspect is one of the reasons your not supossed to take personal cameras out on patrol.

parkesie
    Free Member

As to carrying non issued kit that you bought yourself some guys do i dont as what were issued is perfectly good these days and ive got bikes to spend my money on.

johnners
    Free Member

The problems come from not aplying comon sense to what you are videoing

To be fair, you don’t always know you’re going to end up murdering somebody when you start out on a patrol.

kcal

Is there possibly a security risk if someone with a head cam, with stored images, is captured or at least the cam is taken?

rureadyboots
    Free Member

They won’t be carrying anything that’s not been issued to them.

Pretty cruel to send a soldier to war naked.

And as for the cams, its for the same reason you film your rad and knarley trail rides.

samuri
    Free Member

They don’t start recording in the base, if someone comes across the footage on youtube they could use it work out if the base is worth robbing or not.

parkesie
    Free Member

The problems come from not aplying comon sense to what you are videoing
    To be fair, you don’t always know you’re going to end up murdering somebody when you start out on a patrol.

And then not deleting the footage. Criminal level of stupidity.

parkesie
    Free Member

Not much that could be on a cam that the taliban couldnt learn by watching us big drama is the propaganda value of it in their hands. Bit of editing look were inside a isaf base/ look at how badly they treat locals etc.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Why would a fat lad going slowly round welsh forests wear a head cam?

rureadyboots
    Free Member

Why would a fat lad going slowly round welsh forests wear a head cam?

The same reason soldiers in Afghanistan do.

parkesie
    Free Member

To capture all the murderin

legend
    Free Member

rureadyboots – Member
    And as for the cams, its for the same reason you film your rad and knarley trail rides.

to bore **** out of people on teh intarweb?

csb

Thanks for explaining Parkesie

Crag
    Free Member

It’s so they can antagonize all the motorists on their daily commute and upload the subsequent fracas on youtube.

warton
    Free Member

he problems come from not aplying comon sense to what you are videoing
    And then not deleting the footage. Criminal level of stupidity.

FIFY

hora
    Free Member

A victim of politics.

A soldier rotting jail.

parkesie
    Free Member

A victim of politics.

A soldier rotting jail.

Deservedly so as it would seem.

hora
    Free Member

Geneva convention is a great idea. Like rules in football or cricket. I’m respectfully out of this argument.

Hadge
    Free Member

Deservedly so as it would seem

Very easily said when sitting on the end of a keyboard. Not going in to the rights and wrongs why we are there or shouldn’t be there, I don’t doubt for a minute those soldiers don’t go through some things that “normal” people just couldn’t cope with or comprehend at all. Seeing your mates limbs blown away, or killed – sorry it can’t be good. But I also know 2 wrongs don’t make a right and so to pass judgement and stand on your soapbox is very easy and for me it’s all a no-win situation for anyone and that’s both sides of this “conflict” I have my own opinions and I know unless you have all the correct facts it’s impossible to make the right choice.

backtothetop
    Free Member

some soldiers like to boast to their mates how close they come to death and show videos of them shooting/getting shot at. these are the ones that normally dont last long in the services. The ones that avoid talking about ‘action’ are the good ones.

parkesie
    Free Member

View from my soap box.

image by Parkesiemtb, on Flickr

Greybeard
    Free Member

Very easily said when sitting on the end of a keyboard.

Except that parksie posted, further up

Not long back from afghan

Junkyard
    Free Member

have you not read his posts 😯
    He is a serving soldier so I assume fully qualified to speak

unless you have all the correct facts it’s impossible to make the right choice.

Seemed like the person who did it had all the facts what with the admission of the breach and asking them not to speak out
    I think you mean you dont GAS rather than you wish to defend it in legal terms

EDIT: Ah he beat me to it but his posts are clear

hora
    Free Member

With respect you are entitled to your opinion. It doesn’t mean I have to subscribe.

crankboy
    Free Member

Soldiers have kept diaries and recorded their actions since ancient times headcams are just a continuation of that.

Just like the Nightingale case most serving soldiers seem the think the court martial got it right it’s the keyboard warriors that get all special circumstances exempt soldiers from the rule of law.

parkesie
    Free Member

Back to the op i take my still camera to capture images for my album of interesting places and things ive seen. Im not in the look at me fighting and killing wooohooo brigade that crop up from time to time as backtothetop says they dont seem to last long.

parkesie
    Free Member

crankboy. Hadnt really thought of it like that but thats basically what i do with pictures.

crankboy
    Free Member

Parksie you are the Xenophone or Arrian of the modern world stay safe.

Hadge
    Free Member

parkesie, I was NOT stating you personally being on a soap box but the general public. I would hazard a guess there are a few soldiers who stand by the accused soldier, just as there are those who believe he’s guilty too. The “facts” are why we are there in the first place – is it right or wrong. I take my hat off to you for being there under difficult circumstances and would not swap roles one bit.

parkesie
    Free Member

The politics and reasons behind why were sent are no longer of importance beyond what they mean to history. What is important is what we are doing now that we are there. The mentoring and working with the afghan people that has been the main effort of uk forces for so long and the results of it that are currently being tested as we pull out of the country.
    I for one hope the afghan soldiers i worked with continue to do well for the sake of their country.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Why would a soldier wear a head cam?’ is closed to new replies.