Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Why won't my printer work?
  • ononeorange

Firstly, I must point out that I am an IT numpty, I haven’t got a clue.

We had problems with our Virgin wifi being slow some time ago, and the “help”line told me that it was because my password had too few letters in it (even I knew that was nonsense but let him talk me through changing it anyway as I’d lost the will to live by then). Since then the printer – which is wifi enabled – has never worked or responded to anything again, and I have no idea why. I asked at work and had little idea what the IT chap was talking about, but think it might be because the printer needs to recognise the password too. Or something.

Can anyone tell me in simple words what I need to do to get it to wake up and start printing again? I think it may have involved doing something with the large yellow cable that mysteriously came with the router.

scaredypants

wireless printer ?

presumably you haven’t updated the password

attach it to your pc with the mystery cable (ethernet), run the printer software and reset password

ononeorange

Yes wireless printer. Thanks scaredypants – I’ll have a go. Presumably printer software is on the start bar thing?

Cougar

How did you set the password when you bought it? Do that. You’ll need to use a cable temporarily as pants suggests.

ononeorange

Cougar – I had a mate set it all up (I hid in another room!).

Cougar

My suggestion still stands. (-:

Cougar

TBH, googling “setting wifi password on (model number)” will probably net you a guide. Or have a look for a user guide on the manufacturer’s website.

ononeorange

OK Thanks. Unfortunately, big yellow cable doesn’t fit into the back of the printer so I’ll try Cougar’s plan B.

ononeorange

Grrrr grrrrr grrrrrrr I should never attempt these blasted things.

I managed to connect the printer to the network and even put in the password on the printer (incredibly I had kept a note which I could find). Then went through the pc setup thing as instructed. “Cannot find printer” repeatedly came up, followed by “Connect USB cable” which I don’t have. Just about resisted the temptation to hurl both pc and printer through the window.

So this will eman yet another £100 call out charge from some random pc company then. Thanks Virgin.

And breathe.

stevomcd
    Free Member

A cheapy USB cable will cost you about 50p…

Cougar

Theoretically,

If it’s just the password that’s the problem and it worked previously, just shouldn’t need to run any “pc setup” or anything; once the PW has been reset, it should Just Work.

Hundred quid? I’m in the wrong industry. Oh, wait.

Where are you? And, what printer is it?

ononeorange

It isn’t in there as the only printer option I have in Word in something called OneNote which I’ve never heard of. Trying to add a printer just brings up an error message along the lines of “Active domain services directory is currently unavailable”. Utter gibberish. Why is it so hard?!!

Sorry it does wind me up. I appreciate your effrots Cougar.

Printer is a Kodak C310 and I’m in the Chilterns. The last time I did something similar it was a £100 call out. It turned out the c drive was full.

Cougar

Bit out of the way for me in East Lancashire.

Is this any use to you?

http://resources.kodak.com/support/pdf/en/manuals/AiOPrinters/ESP_C315/ESP_Printer_WNSG_en.pdf

Seems there’s a display and control panel on the printer. So you’ve two high-level steps here.

1) connect the printer to the network.

2) connect the PCs to the printer.

Ensure 1) is done, as per that guide, before worrying about 2). WPS is an option on some routers – there’ll be a physical button on the router somewhere if yours supports it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Why won't my printer work?’ is closed to new replies.