Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • why won't my cassette come off?
  • pondo
    Free Member

Just basic Shimano stuff on the commuter hybrid – got the lockring tool but it won’t spin, with or without a chainwhip. Do I just give it what for with the lockring tool being monstered by the longest adjustable I can find? Why won’t it spin??

Feeling like a div, and for once hoping it’s an accurate feeling.

daftvader
    Free Member

WD40/gt85 and leave it for a few hours and try again?

stumpy01

You’ll need the chainwhip to get it off. It’s a normal thread, so undoes anti-clockwise.

They can be very tight and undo with a ggrrrr.
    I use a massive adjustable on my lockring tool & put the chainwhip around quite a large sprocket.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Are you turning it the right way? The lockring will never come undone without a chainwhip as the cassette will just spin.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If you have a vice then put the lockring tool into the vice facing upwards. Drop the wheel down onto it and use the wheel as a lever.

jekkyl

Put a metal pipe over the end of the spanner and give it some welly.

hilldodger
    Free Member

And use QR skewer to hold the lockring tool on

pondo
    Free Member

That’s the thing – it doesn’t spin either way you apply pressure to the lockring, so chainwhip or no, makes no difference.

Mister-P
    Free Member

It’s not a freewheel rather than a cassette is it?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Sounds to me by turning it ‘against’ the cassette you’ve over tightened it. It’ll now be a bugger to get off with a whip. What are you using as the handle for leverage on the removal tool? You may have to extend it for better leverage. Oh and get someone to hold the whip or you’ll do yourself a mischief

toppers3933
    Free Member

Freewheel?

pondo
    Free Member

Well – the freewheel still freewheels, if you turn the cassette one way, but my expectation was that with tje lockring extraction tool inserted, I would be able to turn that one way (with the cassette, hence the need for a chainwhip) but not the other. I don’t need the chainwhip to hold the cassette as it ain’t spinning in either direction. Shimano 7 speed, freewheel noisy and has maybe a mil of movement between cassette and tje wheel, not sure where the movement is and have gone to bed in a huff so not checking tonight.

scaredypants

so the freewheel won’t turn either way when you have the cassette tool engaged ?

weird – is it one with a “prong” that fits down the QR axle and if so, was it stiff to push in ?

bigbmx
    Free Member

Sounds like being 7spd it’s very likely a freewheel not a cassette. You don’t use a chain whip on a freewheel and they can be very tight, it tightens the way you pedal.

Put the freewheel tool in a vice and turn the wheel, give you loads more leverage safely.

Double check you know the difference between a cassette and a freewheel

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/cassette-and-freewheel-removal

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘why won't my cassette come off?’ is closed to new replies.