Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Why use underscores instead of spaces?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

That_was_a_long_list.stw

jamj1974

But everyone ignored me

😀

Ah… The good old days of spaces being replaced by %20 in IE. Having to rename every single element that worked fine with Netscape Navigator with spaces in its name. Bugger!

mattyfez

Every now and then I register for a sir

Take the hint, you are not in the Queens favor. 😀

TiRed

Joshvegas, that would be ;*tired to you. I’m a SAS need at heart.

My email has _ not . As I used the. Before spam was properly filtered. It looks better too.

Spaces in filenames <shudder>

integerspin
    Free Member

I would have probably asked the question differently, maybe “what stupid **** decided to have file/directory names with spaces”;-)

mattsccm
    Free Member

It is put there to annoy those of us who prefer to do things properly. I get annoyed that I am not allowed to use an oblique stroke when saving things. So what if the blasted computer doesn’t like it. It’s my slave not the other way around.

maccruiskeen

When I registered Stw didn’t accept capitals. Or rather it accepted them but didn’t display them. So my username displays all in lower case here on the forum but has capitals if you click through to my profile.

You’d probably be able to carbon date the creation of peoples accounts by these little typographic quirks.

jam-bo

I used to have a space…

Edit. Ooh, I still do.

antigee

jimdubleyou – Member
    Oh god, this is just going to turn into a thread of nerd jokes.
    There’s 10 types of people in this world, those that like nerd jokes, and those that don’t.

likethat (max 8 characters)

rickonwheels
    Free Member

I used to have a space…

Edit. Ooh, I still do.

Notice that when you click on your own profile, you have a hyphen, instead of a space in the URL:-

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/jam-bo

Otherwise it would look ugly, like:-

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/jam%20bo

Because you can’t have spaces in URI’s, it has to be replaced with %20

From a programmers point of view, spaces in any kind of identifier are a pain in the arse, and i’m not just talking about MS-DOS, so most people get used to substituting spaces with underscores or hyphens.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Well if they are so bloody clever why can’t they sort it out within the correct rules of the English Language?

deadkenny
    Free Member

How about ‘this?space’ in a username? 😉

matt_outandabout

My use of them in username stems from ancient email address set up for me by an old employer.

We all had firstname_outandabout@hotmail email addresses for when we were, well, out and about not in office. We used web service via the shared office laptop, our files and outlook remained on desktop in office.

I think in the days of Windows 95 and Amstrad, our ‘IT’ man was guessing….

Any how, the matt_outandabout stuck, and I’m now family_outandabout etc…

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Why use underscores instead of spaces?’ is closed to new replies.