Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Why use underscores instead of spaces?
  • stevious

I’ve noticed a few people on here with underscores in their usernames and some colleagues at work using it for filenames.

I’m fairly sure the work colleagues are doing it because they still think they are using MSDOS but I don’t understand why you might use it in a forum username.

Does anyone care to enlighten me?

I ask without judgement by the way, I’m just curious.

nickc

All the computer nerds come out of college programmed to do it.

I suspect they secretly hate everyone else for not doing it…

seosamh77
    Free Member

If you are copying a location of file or something in the address bar spaces break the link is one reason.

Username, I’d guess desired name already taken.

joshvegas
    Free Member

“I don’t know”

seosamh77
    Free Member

IPreferCamelCaseMyself.

seosamh77
    Free Member

joshvegas – Member
    “I don’t know”

😆

slowoldman

Back in the old days, file names couldn’t contain spaces. Some of us old men hang on to that.

Cougar

Sometimes spaces aren’t allowed characters in a single ‘entity.’ Easier to err on the side of caution if you want consistency.

tjagain

I seem to remember from when I reregisterd here that it wouldn’t accept spaces. Is there anyone with a space in their name?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Spaces aren’t, or weren’t, permitted in STW usernames. That’s why mine has underscore.

mattyfez

As above, sometimes you can’t use spaces as it messes stuff up so an underscore is used in lieu to make it more readable to the eye.

But some people seem to use them when they don’t need to.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mines has an _ because stw didnt play well with spaces.

joshvegas
    Free Member

My original was ;joshvegas

But everyone ignored me

stevious

Ah, OK. I’d noticed that some names had spaces but some didn’t. Looks like it’s from the olden days. Cool.

As for the filename thing, I’d get it if it was an IT pro doing it as they’d probably be doing some crazy UNIX command line stuff.

My colleague, on the other hand is the kind of person who makes folders full of documents called things like ‘chemistry_test_NEW.doc’ and ‘NEW_chemistry_test.doc’ and ‘chemistry_test_LATEST.doc’. Which I LOVE.

stevious

joshvegas – I don’t get your jokes but I’m really pleased that they’re there.

Murray

iPreferCamelCase myself but my email has an underscore rather than a full stop as the separator because it’s the right thing to do.

jimdubleyou

drop table users; wasn’t allowed.

neil_1979
    Free Member

No_idea

nickc

Oh god, this is just going to turn into a thread of nerd jokes.

[shakes fist at Stevoius] see what you’ve started?

trail_rat
    Free Member

My colleague, on the other hand is the kind of person who makes folders full of documents called things like ‘chemistry_test_NEW.doc’ and ‘NEW_chemistry_test.doc’ and ‘chemistry_test_LATEST.doc’. Which I LOVE

We know the same guy ?

My folder structure at work is full of shit like that because my.back to.back saves all the old.shit. I can look at a pressure test for 1999 for a tool that’s been rebuilt 30 times since then and had 17 new parts and is no longer relevent and hasn’t been for at least 10 years.

ads678

I use a _ in place of a : in a file name some times. Why am I not allowed to use : in a file name?

jimdubleyou

Oh god, this is just going to turn into a thread of nerd jokes.

There’s 10 types of people in this world, those that like nerd jokes, and those that don’t.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

_

joshvegas
    Free Member

Because : defines a function i think

I should point i’m not an IT geek but ivcant programme but i can butcher others to make things work.

Genuinely worth having a quick read of the basics.

The solution to bad namers is dump everything in the superseded folder nd keep doing it.

Cougar

My original was ;joshvegas

But everyone ignored me

Very good.

I use a _ in place of a : in a file name some times. Why am I not allowed to use : in a file name?

Because in the Windows (well, DOS) world, a colon is the delimiter for a drive letter or other data stream source. Eg, C:\Windows

There’s 10 types of people in this world, those that like nerd jokes, and those that don’t.

And those who understand ternary.

jimmy

My username was based on only fools and horses but everyone else left

Del *.*

joshvegas
    Free Member

*wildcard

Cougar

My colleague, on the other hand is the kind of person who makes folders full of documents called things like ‘chemistry_test_NEW.doc’ and ‘NEW_chemistry_test.doc’ and ‘chemistry_test_LATEST.doc’. Which I LOVE

Don’t get me started. File, file_new, file_newer, file_newest [date:2006]. HULK SMASH

sirromj

I like using hyphens in filenames too.

2017_05_13-quantock-hills-ride/

CHANGES#2–this was the original filename.docx

#live-life-to-the-max

simondbarnes

I used to have a space in my username in the old forum. I think the new one runs on MS-DOS though 🙂

matt_outandabout

Meh.

scaredypants

just leaving this for cougie & chums; a gift from my home PC:

“1 1 very latest LIVE VERSION CURRENTEST Apr 2013 to Jun 2016 MASTER For data working report”
    😆

(it’s not entirely my fault but I am responsible for it 😳 )

wwaswas

Room 101 was actually the fifth door along.

Murray

Until another guest checked into Hilbert’s hotel

Stoner
    Free Member

Another underscore user here. All Google sheet names with underscore rather than spaces because ctrl + (or + shift) left (or right) arrow allows selecting or navigating the whole string for faster keyboard based editing. Spaces interrupt the navigation shortcut.

And filenames always go “yymmdd projectname VerNo”

bikebouy
    Free Member

I still use _ for file names..or version updates.

I did an old DB4 dB whilst at Uni (in the dark ages) and it’s stuck..

joshvegas
    Free Member

And filenames always go “yymmdd projectname VerNo”

Nooooooo!

Project name. File number. File name. Version

Date when superseded a date tells you nothing other than the date it was named. Undayted is current add a date when superseded and move it.

So your current folder has one version of each file that sit nicely in alphanumerical order.

bigjim

no%20need%20for%20it%20whatsoever

scotroutes

Should we list all the reasons for using underscores?

I’ll start
    [list]

[*]STW usernames didn’t allow spaces

spooky_b329

Every now and then I register for a sir that doesn’t allow underscores.

Which means I will always have trouble, and it’ll take several goes to reset my password whilst I work out what’s wrong. Add then realise my password was correct…Until I reset it….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Why use underscores instead of spaces?’ is closed to new replies.