Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Why use road cassettes on mtb’s?
  • turneround

Building up my enduro race machine….what benifit would i get from using a road cassette, if any, over my PG990?.

tinsy
    Free Member

Closer ratios at the expense of lower ratios..

BigDummy
    Free Member

I ran a road cassette on my mtb by accident for a year once. I didn’t notice at first, and assumed that I must have lung cancer or some other awful and debilitating horror as I could no longer climb hills. I was convinced for months that I was going to die. 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Once took some London-based lads out around Hebden Bridge, one turned up with a hardtail equipped with a road cassette.

I knew then it was going to be a long, hard day…. 😀

It seemed to work for him & apparently they rode in the Lakes fairly often.

tinsy
    Free Member

Ha ha, thats great…

Joxster
    Free Member

I generally run a 12-23 for Afan or Cwmcarn, if I’m going somewhere new I’ll put on a 12-25 and when I head to the Alps I’ll use a 12-27. I prefer the closer ratios and they’re a bit lighter.

fizzer
    Free Member

I rode sround Hebden Bridge area on Monday on my hardtail equipped with Dura Ace cassette. Think my mates had a long hard day 😆

Works fine for me.

poppa
    Free Member

Dura ace? That’s like £100+ for a cassette isn’t it? Cripes…

njee20
    Free Member

They used to be about £65, cheaper and lighter than XTR, imagine they’ve gone way up now!

The big downside I found was that you have to use the granny ring more, and shifting on the front takes time, imagine you lose 1 second easing off every time you up or downshift on the front mech. If you do it 30 times in a race, you’ve lost a minute.

markd
    Free Member

?

GaryLake
    Free Member

Tempted to run a road cassette if I ever go back to a double and bash.

Mister-P
    Free Member

XTR cassette – £165
    Dura Ace 9 speed cassette – £120

poppa
    Free Member

Fair ’nuff.

oldgit
    Free Member

I occasionaly run an Ultegra cassette for shorter fast rides or races, the closer ratios feel nice when your racing. I’d stick with an off road cassette for enduros and days out.

teacake
    Free Member

I use a 12-27 Ultegra as it’s about 80g lighter than XT, but more importantly, it was £15 cheaper.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Why use road cassettes on mtb’s?’ is closed to new replies.