Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Why: Takes 40mins to warm up/square one in 5min?
  • hora
    Free Member

I breathe out of my ass for 30-40mins at the start of a ride and if I stop for 5-10min at any point I’m back to zero, legs stiff etc why? If I keep on never stopping I’m 100% fine. Why?? I can’t have a break. I’m no race snake anyway.

br
    Free Member

I’m no race snake anyway.

and an unfit one at that it seems 😉

Although, do you start every ride with a big climb? As it’s far better if you have a warm-up ride (to the first climb) IMO.

theotherjonv

Yep, I’m exactly the same – I need 20 mins to get started and used to hate doing ‘relay’ events like Mayhem, etc., because you had to keep going from the start to full gas every 4 hours (and doing warm ups is against the ethos of the event).

I got picked up today from the car park by two fitter riders who’d done about 20 mins already, so for me it was start and straight up to >90% heart rate. I never recovered and was like an anchor for the second half of the ride. Based on time spent in various heart rate zones it ranks as harder than any ride I did last year!! Part of which may of course be as a result of a distinctly lazy December in which the only muscles exercised were my jaw and digestive ones……

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

30-40 mins warm up is about right for a race snake, although a racer would actually be pretty good within a few mins if necessary.

As for stopping and seizing up, sounds like muscles unused to high intensity exercise.

Thing is, to enjoy our sport and let’s face it going as fast as possible is how we enjoy it, then you’ve got to get fit, and that can be as simple as riding as often as possible.

Over time you will remember these current problems with a wry grin and chuckle about how unfit you were. Or you’ll remember them as the heyday of your youth (I hope not!).

Ride fast, never impose self limitations, ride when your legs scream and your breathing is ragged. That way the easy days will feel soooooo good. 🙂

somafunk

A few years ago when i could ride pretty effectively it used to take a lap of the red at kirroughtree to get warmed up/get in the riding zone then straight back out to do a red n’ black as fast as possible then a half red to wind down followed by a hr long fuelling session in the cafe (baked tattie/beans/cake/coffee/more cake/coffee) and drive the 20 miles back home with the window open so i didn’t fall asleep 😀

I never experienced my muscles seizing up as at the time i was riding everyday and thankfully i’ve never experienced cramp either.

jam-bo

Wrong size wheels.

hora
    Free Member

Legs stiff- not siezing. Just thought I’m breaking the seal on my lungs again and body cooled down to start.

edhornby

so don’t stop, keep riding

JoeG
    Free Member

Its not you, its the bike. You need a new one! 😉

zero-cool
    Free Member

Exercise more, eat better and generally get lighter and fitter (apologies Hora if you’re a lean fit person already as I don’t know you).
    I’ve always found that the better base fitness I have then the quicker I can get to full speed. I’m no athlete myself these days (even at my fittest I wasn’t an XC Whippet) but there’s definitely something to be said for keeping the weight down and general levels of fitness up. Even 30-60 mins a day working out can have a massive effect on your riding.

twonks

Might be worth investing and using a heart rate monitor to see what is going on during the ride.

I’m in a strange (rubbish) position that I’m on ticker medication and have to be a little careful how fast I ride. Not to prevent damage, but to stop a similar feeling to what you (Hora) describe in the first post.

I’ve been trying to keep my heart rate down in the fat burning zone whilst on rides of 2 hours+ and it makes a big difference when I want to give it some beans on other rides.

Always poo pooed this type of riding and ‘training’, but it does seem to work.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’re old.

STATO
    Free Member

I get this feeling when im fatigued. Can warm up and feel fine for a whole ride, but stop and re-start and its a world of pain. Good period of rest (3-4 days off the bike) and the warm up may be a bit slower but mid ride stops dont cause a problem, this can last a few days before the fatigue builds up again.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I find breathing through my mouth and nose is the best way to get oxygen into my body…maybe that’s the issue? Your ass just can’t get the oxygen you need to feel better…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, serious answer (well kinda) from me..

You need to fit in a small 2-3k warm up route into your ride. Steady pace, increasing to the point where you are able to speak without gulping for Air. Then as you increase pace/tempo recognise that pain and just back off slightly, build on that and build the ride according to your feel.

I maybe telling you to suck eggs (soz) but sounds like you are starting out flat chat.

Also, mentally… sometimes fatigue sets in mentally too.. You just get into a ride, hit the second hill and your brain goes “sod that” and you loose power in your legs, happens to us all. Sometimes you just have to ride through that barrier.

Wouldn’t worry too much.

Which bike does it happen most on, Roadie or MTB?

chakaping
    Free Member

I used to feel a bit like this on stop-starty group rides when I was unfit.

You don’t say what sort of shape you’re in, but you do say you’re not a racing snake so I thought it was worth mentioning.

The solution is to do a lot more riding over a long period of time.

Oh, and your frame’s too short.

😉

hora
    Free Member

MTB: more longer time rides it is then. Weirdly I start off **** then mid-end of ride I’m all ready!

dragon
    Free Member

so don’t stop, keep riding

+1

Stopping is always a horrid idea if it’s cold. Get out, warm up, then smash it for an hour or two. Leave the stopping and chilling for when the weather is nicer.

bikebouy
    Free Member

hora – Member
    MTB: more longer time rides it is then. Weirdly I start off **** then mid-end of ride I’m all ready!

It’s yer age, as said before. Fitness needs building but as you get older you tend to be able to go on for longer (fnarr, fnarrr)

Takes me a while to warm up these days too 😕

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Why: Takes 40mins to warm up/square one in 5min?’ is closed to new replies.