Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Why steel bolts for single ring set ups?
  • matther01
    Free Member

I keep hearing that its best to use steel bolts with single ring set ups…but I’m happily using the alu ones that came with my original 2×10 cranks/rings.

Am I missing something…am I likely to die? 😆

garage-dweller

You will die.

I would wager (but not guarantee) this will not be chain ring bolt related.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Alu bolts are a (stupid) modern thing.

Steel ones are (fashionably) traditional.

oxym0r0n

I’ve always used ally ones – did so with my ss until I went Middleburn

teethgrinder

I’m running alloy ones. They’re what the shop had in when I went 2×9, and I stuck with them when I went 1×9 and 1×10.

And they’re red.

Mainly because they’re red.

aracer
    Free Member

Everybody who uses alu chainring bolts dies.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never heard of that particular one. Sounds like pretentious BS to me.

haggis1978

Only thing i would think of more torque being applied through the chainset. Still cant see an aluminium bolt shearing but maybe someone with Chris Hoys’ legs would give it a bash

skaifan
    Free Member

When I used to ride cycle trials, I tried them in a sub 20lb bike build. First time out on this bike, I accelerated out of a junction, heard a crunch and looked down to see my chainring in 3 pieces and the bolts heads all sheared. I replaced with another chainring and another set of Ali bolts and had the same result. Went back to steel bolts and have never had a problem in the 13 years since. I would steer clear. Not fit for purpose.

shermer75
    Free Member

Alu bolts =

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have never given it a single thought and I have been riding with a single ring since the 90s. I have only ever had one problem with my chainring where I lost a couple of bolts (don’t know how, they probably just unscrewed) and ovalised my chainring. I have alloy bolts in at the moment, and I only know that because they are anodised, and they are fine.

At the risk of causing offence, would I be correct in assuming all those who say they have no problem with alloy bolts are neither heavy, strong or fast ?

I’ve sheared them and wouldn’t use them again.

I_Ache
    Free Member

What do you class as heavy? I’m over 16st in my gear. I also tend to plow through thing like root and rock gardens. I’m probably not particularly powerful and definitely not fast uphill.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Never sheared an alloy bolt, but have always had them start clicking when using them on my singlespeed builds. Had a clicking noise when putting power down and started changing bits and bobs (pedals, bb etc), changed these to strong steel ones and have never had the problem since.

bigblackshed

Anodised alu.
    SS.
    120KG.
    Guns like Hoy. 😉

Never had a problem.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve sheared some alu ones before, however I’m fairly sure one probably loosened then the rest failed in turn as the load increased on them.

I’ve ridden for weeks on 3 steel bolts.

I sitl have alu ones, mainly for color co-ordination than any need to save weight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Weren’t alu ones just copies of steel ones back in the day and so fairly weak, whereas modern ones with torx fittings are beefed up?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Ooooooh! That’s what that clicking noise is! Thank you!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter about single ring, it’s just Ali bolts + steel Allen key = often rounded off. That’s what you get with Swiss cheese materials.

Though torx Ali bolts are much better, and they often come in more blingy colours. I couldn’t give a rats about weight saving though.

epicyclo

I’ve sheared a few sets of alloy chainring bolts in my time.

Never had a problem with steel. The weight difference is negligible.

However I’m sure there’s also alloy bolts made out of decent alloy, but I haven’t bothered trying them for several years now, and if they exist, they’re probably not shiny enough or the wrong colour. 🙂

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Titanium masterace representing.

unovolo
    Free Member

Run alloy ones with no problems for years and I’m about 13.5st and built for sprinting ie.Not a race whippet.

Sounds like people may have over tightened them weakening the junction between the outer lip , I have done it with bolts in the past(on purpose) and the heads just pop off.

njee20
    Free Member

At the risk of causing offence, would I be correct in assuming all those who say they have no problem with alloy bolts are neither heavy, strong or fast ?
    I’ve sheared them and wouldn’t use them again.

I’d say no, you wouldn’t be correct at all. I’m not heavy, but I’m fairly strong and fast, and virtually everyone I know uses alu chainring bolts. I always have. Lost one once, then annihilated the other 3 soon after, which was fair enough. Otherwise no problems. Can’t see why single ring would make a difference.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I didn’t know about this.. I must be dead already.

OK, maybe it’s like the eternal Egg Beater debate.
    Some people say they are crap because they fall apart in three months, others say they are brilliant because they last forever.

Maybe I was unlucky and the ones I broke were old and corroded, or cheap weak ones.
    For the negligible weight saving, I’ve just never took the risk again, and stuck with steel ones.

raisinhat
    Free Member

I used to use alu ones because they came in shiny matching colours, but they just kept shearing. Not sure if it was crappy bolts or my ham-fisted spannering, but I’ve had zero problems since switching to steel ones.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Why steel bolts for single ring set ups?’ is closed to new replies.