Viewing 13 posts - 201 through 213 (of 213 total)
  • Why so much hatred for the Orange 5?
  • mojo5pro
    Free Member

I bought one from that guy. He sells a few (sometimes on here and on ebay). Was brand new and spot on!

robhughes
    Free Member

Now that’s strange….. 😉
    A van RC by any chance mojo..??

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Yep, I got mine a year or so ago. I got mine off ebay from him. I remember when I bought mine that’d hed sold a few identical ones. Not sure how he sources them but the product itself was genuine and brand new.
    Got a CCDB on now, and to be honest not that much difference.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robhughes
    Free Member

Thanks mojo.
    Think i’ll fire mine strait over to loco to tune it up a bit the five’s single pivot.
    He worked wonders on a dhx5 on my spicy… 😀

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

the full builds highlight a small company struggling to match big gun suppliers

Build upgrades show a fool and his money are soon parted. Orange policy has always seemed to be to charge you the full rrp of the new part not just the difference between the upgrade and the original part. Effectively youre paying for the original part and not getting it.

http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/bikes/five_pro/

upgrading from an RF BB to a Hope stainless costs you £60. an RF BB costs £30, a Hope stainless costs £65 @ Wiggle. When I got my Alpine 160 they were charging £400 to upgrade to a CCDB (£475 rrp) from a RP23 (£300+ rrp).

mojo5pro
    Free Member

yep…frame and self build the way to go really

Coyote
    Free Member

Trailcentres are great if you dont have any natural riding nearby.

Define “natural”. I’m assuming you mean non-man made, i.e. no bridleways, footpaths or anything else that homo sapien had a hand in?

hora
    Free Member

Crashtestmonkey-agree but they get away with it. Crackers. Bet the owner/Directors are rich.

Then again why not. They dont MAKE people buy their product; market forces.

chestrockwell

hora – Member
    Crashtestmonkey-agree but they get away with it. Crackers. Bet the owner/Directors are rich.

Then again why not. They dont MAKE people buy their product; market forces.

I agree that some of the upgrades to seem a bit steep but others are good value (from memory the performance pack works out quite well). Is part of the problem that people compare the parts with places like Merlin instead of RRP? If so, then at least you’d know you were getting the real deal instead of OEM or seconds.

I got in to the whole full build rip off thing on here ages ago. When people said you could build it with the same spec for cheaper, what they actually meant was they could build nearly the same spec, but not exactly. Performance wise Revs might be as good as Fox and most would be happy with either but when talking about a build you can’t compare a set of forks you can pick up online for £300 with a set you’ll be lucky to find for less then £800.

Saying that, as a 100% Orange fan I’d buy from them but then get a Reverb from Planet X etc.

GaryLake
    Free Member

upgrading from an RF BB to a Hope stainless costs you £60. an RF BB costs £30, a Hope stainless costs £65

That RaceFace BB is the OEM unit that comes with the crank in the box, so when you upgrade to the Hope one, the RaceFace one doesn’t go back on the shelf for the next punter, it effectively goes in the bin as far as the bean counters are concerned because the RaceFace crank still got fitted.

robhughes
    Free Member

Just build your own then there’s non of this shinanikins. 😆

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

it effectively goes in the bin as far as the bean counters are concerned

Really? So OE stuff gets binned, it doesnt get sold on to and by mail order houses? How about the bean counters give the BB to the punter that paid for it?! And the original point I was making was that anyone who pays for an upgrade like that is a mug.

rickt
    Free Member

They are good lookers….

😀

Viewing 13 posts - 201 through 213 (of 213 total)

The topic ‘Why so much hatred for the Orange 5?’ is closed to new replies.